Silver Spirit- 23 days - Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona - April 2

spinnaker2

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Candy, believe Alec has been on everyone of Ida and my Silversea Spirit crossings.  We've enjoyed Dinner with him on board--fascinating personality.  Thanks for sharing your trivia (A Team) photos.  Believe David is will book the Moon crossing next November.

We have also travelled with Alec on more than one crossing and enjoyed playing bridge with him.

15 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry, I will post and it will be a surprise.  On our way and very soon Lisboa, we have been before!

Looking forward to finding out more for the "SURPRISE"!!??  Sound like fun. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

7 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

the cruise vibe has changed!   i really cant post photos because everyone is on!

we just saw a whale blow off the starboard side.   lots of kids.    a fun change!

Agree strongly with boblerm about that "Priceless photo!"  Visuals are looking good.  Showing that famed bridge in Lisbon brought back nice memories for me from sailing under that structure in June 2017 on the Silver Spirit.  Later, when you have time, let us know more specific details about the changed "CRUISE VIBE" and how people are adjusting.    Looking forward to hearing about the "surprise"

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,471 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Rachel, Terry and Boblerm.

I was lucky to get that shot. 

Uploading images is far too slow for my liking, but I keep trying.

We are just now coming into Cadiz, slightly late. Last time we were here it was so foggy, today its grey and chilly.

Below some shots from Lisbon.

panolisbon.thumb.JPG.f4f7475bcfb902927d32b9ae9c9e8206.JPG

leavinglisbon.thumb.JPG.e3392e9657b621dd98ad5bd6d58687b1.JPG

• Like 1

Call me bizarre, but I have never seen a moonset.

The huge moon was flooding our suite with light. I asked DH, who was sound asleep, if the moon sets on the horizon like the sun.  No answer.

Now on a mission to get the answer, I had to stay up.

It made for a fairly sleepless night but I captured the moonset.

moonset.thumb.JPG.34dfdafe833a7bab6cc2483c46bedcf6.JPG

• Like 2

We took an excursion to Arcos de la Frontera, a fifty minute drive. The town is located in Andalusia, on the banks of the Guadatete River and sits high atop a sandstone ridge. In the 13the century it was the location of a battle with the Moors.

We were prohibited from taking the bus to the top and walked a good way up on cobblestone narrow streets to reach the lookout point, and the square where the Castle is located. At the present time the castle is privately owned and therefore not open to the public. It has four towers and was completed in the 15th century. 

The Basilica Menor de Santa Maria de la Asuncion built atop a 13th century Mosque is also on the square.

This is Holy Week in Spain, and in Arcos there are a number of processions. Among the partcipants are the religious pentitents, who dress in yellow hoods and brown robes. The main street of Arcos has been narrowed by maroon colored stanchions decorated with gold and a single viewing stand.

Below a monument to the pentitents.

1313579957_arcosdelafronterapenitents.thumb.JPG.1244207836d965453465158d9152b895.JPG

Cathedral

cathdelaasun.thumb.JPG.ba2f50230741580b048250d632bf049d.JPG

one of the towers of the privately held castle

tower.thumb.JPG.088dda7af6a0e31398d2be5d13abdfd4.JPG

• Like 2

After the climb up, we were treated to tapas at the Hotel Parador de Arcos de la Frontera, formerly the palace/house of the local magistrate. The hotel sits at the edge of the cliffs, with incredible views. We had croquetas, dogfish, manchego, and other small bites,  all with a glass of fino. tapas.thumb.JPG.04fa6e49010e48867769afa18d6fb04a.JPG

Worth the climb!!

• Like 1

Thanks much Mr. Silver.

Its chilly but wonderful.

Today we were treated to a huge thunderstorm along with lightening alerts, we are here in Malaga.

I will post some photos of the storm if I am able. Internet bandwidth remains a challenge.

We continue to enjoy.

A ship vibe comment, there are mostly first time cruisers to Silversea who are aboard. 

Lots of children who are delightful and of course the crew just adores them. The interaction is truly amusing! What a treat!

And since it will be Easter soon, I am hoping the Easter Bunny visits them and selfishly, me too.

• Like 1

Last night the sunset was weird. 

1969829047_sunsetapril17.thumb.JPG.2a799bb9b8fc88e92b14b613b5a1186d.JPG

Today in Malaga we arrived in a drizzle of rain.

We woke up very late and just made it under the wire for breakfast in La Terrazza.

The sun came out and lots of pax left for excursions.

Then came thunderstorm 1. It rolled in over the mountains!

storm1.thumb.JPG.a2c584f73d61b7a0529bd8516fad7750.JPG

So many pax in La Terrazza for lunch, maybe because of the threatening weather. Then came thunderstorm 2.

storm2.thumb.JPG.622eac7f90aea7e7f144eda2ce6ee676.JPG

The seabirds were wildly flying and screaming gull cries. The harbor sea was green! 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I will post some photos of the storm if I am able. Internet bandwidth remains a challenge.  We continue to enjoy.  A ship vibe comment, there are mostly first time cruisers to Silversea who are aboard.  Lots of children who are delightful and of course the crew just adores them. The interaction is truly amusing! What a treat!  And since it will be Easter soon, I am hoping the Easter Bunny visits them and selfishly, me too.

Too bad, Spins/Candy, about the weather challenges.  Hope these things and conditions improve, etc.  Appreciate the added details as to the "ship vibe". Yes, the kids will enjoy the Easter Bunny!   Keep up the nice postings with the many interesting visuals, etc.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,041 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Terry,

I love this weather!

Dramatic and such fabulous light. Thunder and lightening! And the rolling noise as it travels across the mountains is just spectacular. 

It does not dampen our spirits in the least.

Our butler just brought canapes and freshly baked hot cashews. 

YUMMMM