Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

I was about to book the Oasis Transatlantic, just to get the experience to sail on board one of biggest ships in the world- I did 9 cruises wie RCI before I switched to X.

Decided against it and booked on the Silhouette Transatlantic- so I really really feel sorry for those booked on the Oasis TA. Personally I would not be worried about my OBC - but all the flight arangements from Germany to Miami- the Hotel- the Rental Car all paid for- and then all vanishes into thin air...! Not to mention the dissapointment..!

13 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Unless won at Bingo, had one years ago and no points.

Did you have to pay tax + port? 🤔

I am thinking if the cruise was paid in full first and then the FCC is applied for a refund - that should trigger the points - as it clearly is a revenue cruise... 🤔

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We have been working closely with our airline partners to make your last-minute vacation planning easier. Our partners, American Airlines and Delta Airlines have graciously agreed to waive change fees for our guests that had air booked for the 3 affected Oasis of the Seas 2019 sailings: April 7th, April 14th, and April 21st. Each airline has set up a desk to assist you. Below are their numbers:

• American Airlines (800) 433-7300
  • Delta Air Lines (800) 221-1212

Be sure to mention “Oasis of the Seas Rebook” so that your penalty fee is waived. Additionally, below are some important things to know:

• You’ll be responsible for any additional costs of your new airfare.
  • These desks will be open starting Monday, April 8th, and all changes must be completed by Monday, April 22nd.

Thank you for your patience, we look forward to welcoming you onboard in the future!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Final $133 has been refunded.  At this point I have received a 100% refund and 100% FCC (of cruise fare only) as offered in the cancelation email.  

Cruise planner purchases have also been refunded automatically.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:36 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Travel insurance will not work in this situation and most people are stuck with expensive non-refundable flights!

Giving $400 for the flights is a bad joke!👎🖕

They might be giving "only" that much back in flights, but they're also refunding the ENTIRE amount paid for the cruise along with giving future cruise credit in the same amount. This is essentially getting a free cruise because you're getting your money back as well. I wouldn't be that upset about losing a few hundred on a flight when I'd be getting thousands back in cruise credit

10 minutes ago, CrusingRuthing said:

I wouldn't be that upset about losing a few hundred on a flight when I'd be getting thousands back in cruise credit

The ruined everybodys vacation!

Of course they need to give the money back when they do not deliver the service - how can you even mention this?🙄

We are loosing thousands because they were negligeant!👎

The FCC does not cover much of it....there is more than the flights....

They are lucky we did not book in the EU🙄 else they would have to pay every penny they cost us....including a new vacation!👍

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They are lucky we did not book in the EU🙄 else they would have to pay every penny they cost us....

What else was not covered?

Hotel, rental car.....excursions....new much more expensive flights, new more expensive hotels...everything new on short notice - with high prices due to easter holidays and now very late booking!😥

The total price of the new vacation is about double - what this cruise vacation had cost!😱

But we could no  waste that vacation time - because of the incident..YOLO!

31 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Of course they need to give the money back when they do not deliver the service - how can you even mention this?🙄

They are lucky we did not book in the EU🙄 else they would have to pay every penny they cost us....including a new vacation!👍

They weren't negligent, this was completely out of their control.  I absolutely understand the disappointment but ship happens and life is about maintaining perspective when everything else goes sideways so I'm not sure "ruined" is valid.

And Royal can't know or help when anyone decides to do when this happens - yes you may have had vacation time you stood to lose but it's your choice how you choose to spend that time.  Many may have decided just to stay home or do something less cost, or as you did, rebook a more expensive option, but again, that's not Royals' obligation to cover.   I can't see there was more they needed to do, they did more than obligated, but it will never be a one size fits all.  

34 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Hotel, rental car.....excursions....new much more expensive flights, new more expensive hotels...everything new on short notice - with high prices due to easter holidays and now very late booking!😥

The total price of the new vacation is about double - what this cruise vacation had cost!😱

But we could no  waste that vacation time - because of the incident..YOLO!

Hotel I understand completely. I have only cruised out of a port by me so I never think about that as a cost, although it is one for many. Excursions should have been refunded as RCCL said and I thought you do not pay for a rental car until you pick it up, but I could be mistaken or some companies are just different! 

Of course, I would also be unhappy with the circumstances, I'm just unfortunately not sure what else RCCL could have done. I love the YOLO mindset though!! Make your vacation count!!

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

but again, that's not Royals' obligation to cover.   I can't see there was more they needed to do, they did more than obligated, 

Only under US law they can get away with that.... 🙄

Other countries have a totally different perspective on what! 👍

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They did not take care of the repair properly! 👎

Not their fault that a crane fell on the ship.  Don't see how they were negligent in not 'taking care of a repair properly'.  I know you are always 'glass half empty' (or usually totally empty with a crack in the glass) but there hasn't been any reports of negligence on Royal's part.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Who's everybody? RCI went above and beyond what they had to do. Got my full refund and a free cruise on the Harmony. Life is good.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

While in hindsight they may have realized steps they could have taken to prevent this, I doubt they proceeded on a whim and a prayer, and it may also have been completely out of their control, we won't know most likely.

34 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Granted I don't know what each country may be obligated to do but I don't see how any company is obligated to cover more than what someone lost from them directly.  In this case Royal completely refunded what was paid to them AND offered additional comp in the form of a FCC.  Insurance is there to cover additional costs but few carriers will ever cover costs out of their purview - every passenger has different ways to get to a cruise and varying costs - how would anyone be able to do business if they had to cover against costs completely out of their control?  Not everyone flies to port, not everyone stays a night in advance, or rents a car, or any of it.  I protect against these costs through insurance based on what I am willing to lose but I would never expect a cruise carrier to refund any costs other than what I paid them for.

54 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Had you booked in your home country you’d get it all back.  Maybe take that into consideration next time. 

44 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The repair hasn’t been done yet, so in all honesty “properly” has yet to be determined. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3