What’s your favorite dish?

kjbacon

OMG! What a fabulous thread! I'm now drooling! We'll be on board the Explorer in July and I've written down all of the yummy

choices. My only concern is that we won't be on board long enough!!

I'll take my list with me so we can try all those wonderful recommendations!

I'm hoping that someone will elaborate on great and wonderful libations to try. Lemon Drop sounds good. Haven't tried that one yet.....However as Z mentioned,  a good Hendricks with cuke is pretty hard to beat...and then there's the good champagne, and of course Margaritas an Bloodies by the pool.....oooh so many choices, so little time!

Carry on.....!

9 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Love all of these delicious recommendations! Several of these dishes had called out to me when I was reading the menus but there are also a couple dishes mentioned here that would not have gotten my attention without these great tips, so thank you! Keep ‘em coming.

And, of course, great cocktails count too 🙂 So far, tips for a Lemon Drop and a Saketini (on another thread).

What is Srikand?

Srikand is an Indian dessert made with yoghurt which you let drain in muslin for 24 hours and then mix with saffron.  It is to die for!!  And not sickly sweet like gulab jamin etc.

10 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Srikand is an Indian dessert made with yoghurt which you let drain in muslin for 24 hours and then mix with saffron.  It is to die for!!  And not sickly sweet like gulab jamin etc.

I think that dessert sounds divine and I will look to try that! Saffron is one of my favorite flavors so why not for dessert.

We had (maybe too many) lemon drop martinis with new friends a couple years ago on a Viking ship on New Years and it was a fabulous night. They are a little sweet but not too sweet and a little tart. I am anxious to try that saketini! 

With th so many good things to try, I’m thinking about asking if we can get some small plates, particularly in Pacific Rim. Has anyone ever asked for an appetizer sized portion of an entree? 

You can get an appetizer portion of any entree (or a entree size portion of an appetizer).  

For a while I was really into chocolate martini's (assume that there is no calories if the chocolate is liquid:classic_tongue:).  It can be made creamy but I prefer it with Godiva.  Very good dessert.

The past several cruises I have been drinking Mexican Butterfly's (a Regent created drink I think).  While similar to a margarita, it has mint and elderberry in it and is quite refreshing.  I always ask for the brand of alcohol that I prefer.  In this case, I ask for Don Julio or Patron (the Don Julio that Regent carries is Anejo while their Patron is Silver.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poss said:

I've always liked Prime 7's 14-layer cake (is 14 correct? can't remember for sure).    And yes, it has all the calories that aren't in Tc's chocolate martinis.

Agree - it is sinfully delicious.  I learned on our last cruise that you can ask for a small portion of the cake.  However, it isn't 14-layers and doesn't taste quite the same.

• Like 1

Going to have to try  saketini, and the Mexican butterfly. Italian getaway was very nice-Campari , prosecco, and a little grapefruit juice, the slightly sweet, slightly bitter taste suited my tastebuds to a tee.

Question- is it bad to order drinks from room service- I know we have the makings in our room(mostly), but it is hard to make a proper martini in there. We did order a couple one night with some appeys, but I felt kind of bad doing so.

I guess I could order them from a bar, and bring them back to cabin myself- but who knows if they would make it there.

I haven't as yet been to Pacific Rim but Red Ginger on the Oceania ships (from which Pacific Rim was copied) has a wide range of starters.  What we do there is to order only starters for the whole meal.  We tell the waiter we are going to do this and it works really well...  Will probably try the same at Pac.Rim though the Lobster Tempura is probably too good to miss...

10 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Going to have to try  saketini, and the Mexican butterfly. Italian getaway was very nice-Campari , prosecco, and a little grapefruit juice, the slightly sweet, slightly bitter taste suited my tastebuds to a tee.

Question- is it bad to order drinks from room service- I know we have the makings in our room(mostly), but it is hard to make a proper martini in there. We did order a couple one night with some appeys, but I felt kind of bad doing so.

I guess I could order them from a bar, and bring them back to cabin myself- but who knows if they would make it there.

We were on Mariner last Nov-Dec.  I was fortunate enough to read these forums in detail and the Mexican Butterfly was highly recommended.  So I had one....actually quite a few on the 44 night cruise!  It's great.  To me it's a non-sweet Margarita.  Really liked them.  Do try one for sure. 

As to drinks from room service.  We had a PH so we had a butler.  I only drank bourbon in the cabin, so no need to order from room service.  But I know if I had wanted a Martini, our butler would have cheerfully brought me one.  I also saw, once or twice, two drinks on a tray headed to a cabin.  Can't remember if a butler was carrying them or not.  But I'm completely sure that ordering drinks to the cabin is no big deal.  Don't feel bad, that's why these people are employed.  If we don't use the services, there is no need for the jobs to be maintained.  

Edited by papaflamingo

14 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with ordering drinks from room service. It never occurred to me to do it, until I realized that the cabin next to us had milk shakes delivered most afternoons. So why not martinis? BTW - you can get room service to the laundry rooms too. Turn a chore into a party!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with ordering drinks from room service. It never occurred to me to do it, until I realized that the cabin next to us had milk shakes delivered most afternoons. So why not martinis? BTW - you can get room service to the laundry rooms too. Turn a chore into a party!

Omg😄 I think I might need that time to dry out a little!

One night Sette Mari had eggplant parmigiana as a special.  It was sliced paperthin.  When you bit into it, it was delightfully crispy.   We were sitting outside on the balcony  watching the sunset.   My mouth is watering. 

My favorite appetizer on my first (and so far only) RSSC cruise was the crab salad topped with paper-thin slices of cucumber and an aioli flavored with... can’t recall exactly what, but something ”red” (roasted red pepper? sun-dried tomato? -- something like that).  It’s on the ”every day” menu -- perfect size, so fresh, just a perfect starter.  

I honestly never had a bad meal on that 28-day cruise, not even a single bad dish.  Looking forward to see what’s in store for the 131 days of the 2020 World Cruise.

Lana 

I also like the always-available crab salad in CR.

Glad to see the salt sticks were mentioned.  On our first Regent cruise, when we first sampled them, we asked the CR waiter what they were, and he happily said... "Oh, we call those Salt Sticks.  They are VERY popular!".  LOL.

Edited by RJ2002

20 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

I think you can order cocktails for the cabin from room service without any problem.

On our very first Regent cruise on the Mariner (transatlantic from Monte Carlo to Rio) we entered a boat building contest with the folks from several neighboring cabins. On our first work session, our "hostess" asked what we'd like to drink as she was calling in an order. There were 8 of us....a campari with orange and one ice cubel, a champagne cocktail, a white Russian and so on.

I was in absolute awe when a cabin attendant (not a butler...we didn't have THAT kind of a cabin) showed up shortly with the expansive order, all perfectly executed along with snacks.....I still don't think I've gotten over that one....awesome!

So, no, I don't think it would any sort of problem! Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, RachelG said:

All this food talk is making me hungry,and I just ate.  Love the CR escargot, also the Dover sole.  But no one has mentioned the salt torpedoes.  My favorite bread ever.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:57 PM, BBfromCA said:

Just give me a basket of "Salt Sticks" and I am a happy camper!

(If I remember correctly, pizza is also listed in the room service menu.)

I won't say my in-laws and I fought over the limited salt sticks in the bread basket, but, well, we kinda did.   :-)

• Haha 1

Right before I cruised the Amazon in Nov. and Dec. there was a thread in which TC2 recommended the double lamb chop at P7.

WOW is it good!  Think I ordered it twice.

Of course my cruise buddy would tell you that I ate lamb the majority of nights on the cruise, but the double chop in P7 was the best!

The food has been so good so far! We already have several to suggest as favorites: the seared foie gras appetizer in CR, tuna tartar appetizer in PR, the chimichurri sauce in CR, the baguette with truffle butter in Chartreuse, and the cheese cart for dessert in Chartreuse.