So I get a call from my TA, Royal wants your cabin back.

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But you get to go skiing on the weekends and smoke weed. ⛷🏂🤟

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But you get to go skiing on the weekends and smoke weed. ⛷🏂🤟

My body is in no shape for skiing, especially after back surgery last year, and knees of questionable integrity.  Don’t care for weed anyway, besides, I work in a skilled trade, and smoking weed creates lots of problems should you get hurt at work.  Workers comp can reduce your coverage to 50% if they drug test and you test positive.  Legalizing it at the state level created a lot of issues for employers, and companies can still refuse to hire pot smokers if it is against their company policy.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

My body is in no shape for skiing, especially after back surgery last year, and knees of questionable integrity.  Don’t care for weed anyway, besides, I work in a skilled trade, and smoking weed creates lots of problems should you get hurt at work.  Workers comp can reduce your coverage to 50% if they drug test and you test positive.  Legalizing it at the state level created a lot of issues for employers, and companies can still refuse to hire pot smokers if it is against their company policy.

I live on the beach and hate sand. Go figure.

My point is, we often think the grass is greener elsewhere 

20190329_161210.jpg

20181209_190736.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I live on the beach and hate sand. Go figure.

My point is, we often think the grass is greener elsewhere 

20190329_161210.jpg

20181209_190736.jpg

I grew up in Orlando from 1980-1995, and lived there again from 2003-2007.  May consider moving back to Florida, but I hate the humidity!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe, I certainly would have taken that offer - did you try to counter offer?

9 hours ago, molly361 said:

I would have taken that offer

6 hours ago, barbeyg said:

In a heartbeat! 😁

Same here... Oceanview isn't my choice of cabins but I would have made it work for free. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

It's the Non Refundable Deposit fault. They wouldn't let me transfer deposit from A2 to A1. At worst I'm out $200 in December. 

I thought with non refundable you could change to any category on the same ship and date without penalty?

22. Should my Suite client choose to downgrade to a balcony stateroom after already confirming a Suite, will the booking remain under non-refundable status? Will a change fee be incurred to adjust inventory types?

Any booking originally created as non-refundable will maintain this status for the life of the reservation, regardless of subsequent category changes. Change fees are only incurred should an adjustment to the ship and/or sail date occur; therefore, no change fee will be assessed upon swapping between category types on the same ship and sail date.

Edited by molly361

16 hours ago, debitoo said:

I got an interesting call 3 days before we sailed on the Jewel Feb 15, 2019 from the RC Revenue department. They wanted to know if I was willing to DOWNGRADE my cabin to an ocean view from the corner AFT Jr. Suite. They would refund the entire price of my cruise and I could keep my double points. In short; I can cruse for free. Apparently, the cruise is way overbooked. I didn't even give it a thought and said no. Am I crazy? I would have probably done it for a balcony room but not an OV. She then asked if I was willing to cancel this cruise, get a full refund and have the same amount I spent on this cruise applied to any cruise in the future. I said no. I figured SOMEONE high up in points wanted this very desirable cabin. By the way, and not related to this post, Super Mario was on this cruise... 🙂

Are you implying he wanted your cabin 3 days before the cruise?   Seems like he would have his cabin reserved months at a time.  

8 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Before my recent cruise on Vision, I logged on to our account to purchase our drink package, only to find out my cruise didn't exist.

Huh? 

Bought and paid in full months earlier.

Turns out when I called and added a C&A number earlier somehow our cruise got "re-priced" at the current rate, which was higher than what I paid and it now showed a balance due.

in the middle of the night, computer saw that a balance was due and we were well past final payment and it cancelled our reservation and released the cabin.  

My TA blamed Royal, and Royal blamed the TA.

Nonetheless, despite me paying for my cruise, and set to leave in just a few days, I now had no reservation, the ship was sold out, and my cabin had been given to someone else.

RCI wanted to put me on another ship, but wasn't going to cover the airfare for me to get to the other ship.

There were lots of calls to supervisors and my TA on the phone for hours before finally I got notice that the people they had sold my room too were no longer going and I could have my room back.

My guess --- they got a call like the OP and they convinced them to go on some other ship.

We had a similar/dissimilar situation.....we had a 9 day cruise booked on Navigator and it was paid in full.  My DH woke up one day to a notification that one of our excursions had been cancelled.  Ok, for whatever reason the excursion was cancelled, so he went to look what was available and as he checks into Cruise Planner the ENTIRE cruise is gone....not just the excursion.  As soon as I could that morning I called the TA, who had no idea what happened.  She spent hours trying to get anywhere with Royal.  Time was moving along and now our cabin # was back in circulation, and we purposely picked this cabin out when we first booked.  So I did what I do best.....I sent an email to  President Michael Bayley with the problem.  Within hours someone from his office called me, and put me in touch with someone in the VP of Sales Office.  At the very same time, our cabin was immediately TAKEN off the available listing.    When I sent the email to Mr. Bayley, I provided him a copy of our reservation form that we got from our TA, showing our bill was paid in full and our cabin number of course was specified.    I never allowed them to get into the blame game, and maybe they wanted to.....but as I told them all....that wasn't MY issue.....all I wanted was what I paid in full for a few months earlier.

It took Royal's Sales Dept and Revenue Dept a couple of days to straight it out......and then I extracted another pound of flesh....a few excursions on ROYALS dollar.  

What I was later told that the problem resulted because a phone number at my TA had been changed and for some reason the reservation system determined that it was an invalid number (not in the records as a legitimate TA) and cancelled our cruise.

My words....who knows....we got our problem corrected, was all I cared about.

10 hours ago, A2Mich said:

As if I would pay $9000 for an oversized balcony cabin that doesn’t even come up with Suite perks and C&A points?  No, I’m just a bit more sensible with what I spend my money on.

I guess it is all about perspective as to what is sensible to spend money on. I can afford a balcony on every cruise I sail, but I have only had a balcony twice. I will have two more this year, but those were comp upgrades.

I'm waiting on the bidding war for my prestigious inside cabin. I am sure there is a "royal up" for crew members... one day... they are going to need my cabin and I will get bumped... to an OV with obstruction!! WOOT!  🤣😜🙄

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, A2Mich said:

By the sounds of your adventures, it appears that you may be retired and fortunate enough to be able to travel frequently.  We are still of working age, and being in Colorado, aren’t close to ANY cruise ports 😁

Pueblo is only about 35 Miles... a gondola on the Riverwalk is about $10 🤣 . You could ask if they will give you C&A points!

Just teasing... All my life was spent in COS, and it is soooo fricken far to the ocean. After 39 years, the mountains just do not do it for me. We drove to cruises in LA, San Diego, Galveston... because I am terrified of flying, so I will spend 16 hours each way driving. Madness!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

Doesn't the "Royal Up" only apply to a category that's available to actually book...??

Royal Up will allow you to bid on anything.... you just won't get it if there aren't any available.

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I thought with non refundable you could change to any category on the same ship and date without penalty?

22. Should my Suite client choose to downgrade to a balcony stateroom after already confirming a Suite, will the booking remain under non-refundable status? Will a change fee be incurred to adjust inventory types?

Any booking originally created as non-refundable will maintain this status for the life of the reservation, regardless of subsequent category changes. Change fees are only incurred should an adjustment to the ship and/or sail date occur; therefore, no change fee will be assessed upon swapping between category types on the same ship and sail date.

I had to create a new booking to get $600 OBC through NextCruise. 

I booked A2 online right before our February cruise. I was worried it would sell out. Then I decided to get the NextCruise money and it was a cheap upgrade to the A1.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, on our Mariner repo someone wanted our hump JS right next to CL enough to get us moved to a GS. Seversl Pins in JS with way more points than us didnt get upgraded

I've never sailed in a JS so I expect I'd be happy with a lot of these cabins, but I can't see a room meaning that much to throw money at it to get - even if it was sentimental and I was trying to recreate something but that's where I could see it meaning enough to someone to pay dearly, or they just have enough money it doesn't mean to them what it would to me!

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

So even when I have "no upgrade" on my profile..I can lose my booked cabin to someone wanting it and willing to pay more for it than I did originally ?

I expect they'd have to sweeten the pot enough to get you to agree but also yes, if they really wanted to, they could do it outright but I don't think that would be worth the negative press of that either.

10 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Before my recent cruise on Vision, I logged on to our account to purchase our drink package, only to find out my cruise didn't exist.

Huh? 

Bought and paid in full months earlier.

Turns out when I called and added a C&A number earlier somehow our cruise got "re-priced" at the current rate, which was higher than what I paid and it now showed a balance due.

in the middle of the night, computer saw that a balance was due and we were well past final payment and it cancelled our reservation and released the cabin.  

My TA blamed Royal, and Royal blamed the TA.

Nonetheless, despite me paying for my cruise, and set to leave in just a few days, I now had no reservation, the ship was sold out, and my cabin had been given to someone else.

RCI wanted to put me on another ship, but wasn't going to cover the airfare for me to get to the other ship.

There were lots of calls to supervisors and my TA on the phone for hours before finally I got notice that the people they had sold my room too were no longer going and I could have my room back.

My guess --- they got a call like the OP and they convinced them to go on some other ship.

I remember you writing that saga, and that makes a lot of sense on some of these requests - Royal covering their own mistakes behind the scenes!

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

I remember you writing that saga, and that makes a lot of sense on some of these requests - Royal covering their own mistakes behind the scenes!

Good point....Royal covering their own mistakes behind the scenes!

4 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Good point....Royal covering their own mistakes behind the scenes!

You would think they'd have a far better system of edits that would not trigger repricing or cancellation - I get that they may need a double check but these mistakes seem preventable BUT they likely figure the few mishaps are easier to handle then system upgrades and better training since we know how well their system tweaks go 🙂

12 hours ago, A2Mich said:

By the sounds of your adventures, it appears that you may be retired and fortunate enough to be able to travel frequently.  We are still of working age, and being in Colorado, aren’t close to ANY cruise ports 😁

Colorado. We would have never known. 

My employer was based in Louisville and I loved traveling there for business in the summer. Not so much in the winter. 

I’m back...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe, I certainly would have taken that offer - did you try to counter offer?

20 hours ago, island lady said:

That's what I was thinking....at least ask for a balcony cabin.  

20 hours ago, molly361 said:

I would have taken that offer

20 hours ago, TravisP said:

It might have been hard for me to turn down that downgrade and get all my money back plus double points. 

19 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

I would have taken it but would have also preferred a balcony, but I know on that class those are limited as well too right?  But I'm a sucker for free 🙂

I tried to counter offer but there were no balcony or suite cabins available. The cruise was completely booked except for a few insides and even fewer OV's. I certainly would have taken the deal if it would have been a balcony. I don't get the opportunity to cruise a lot as I have to fly to get to the ship. I HATE the SoCal itineraries so no cruises from here. 😞 I had to make the decision immediately while I was on the phone and I had no time to think it over. So, I said no. The cruise was amazing and the AFT cabin was wonderful. We sailed to the ABC islands. I'm glad I kept it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, debitoo said:

I tried to counter offer but there were no balcony or suite cabins available. The cruise was completely booked except for a few insides and even fewer OV's. I certainly would have taken the deal if it would have been a balcony. I don't get the opportunity to cruise a lot as I have to fly to get to the ship. I HATE the SoCal itineraries so no cruises from here. 😞 I had to make the decision immediately while I was on the phone and I had no time to think it over. So, I said no. The cruise was amazing and the AFT cabin was wonderful. We sailed to the ABC islands. I'm glad I kept it!

Perfect, glad you did too!  Better to have kept it and had it be wonderful than taken the offer and had it not be as wonderful since "at least it was free" never takes into account time spent and everything else 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Are you implying he wanted your cabin 3 days before the cruise?   Seems like he would have his cabin reserved months at a time.  

Ah no. If you read the whole sentence, it says " By the way, and not related to this post, Super Mario was on this cruise"... 🙂

He DOES reserve months ahead.

18 minutes ago, debitoo said:

Ah no. If you read the whole sentence, it says " By the way, and not related to this post, Super Mario was on this cruise"... 🙂

He DOES reserve months ahead.

And probably an inside cabin! LOL!😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

Royal Up will allow you to bid on anything.... you just won't get it if there aren't any available.

Then...just getting people's hopes up.

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Then...just getting people's hopes up.

I expect it's part psychological marketing too - if you bid hoping you'll finally get to have that balcony cabin or suite, and then don't but go on your cruise and see those cabins and think "that would have been great to have" you may be more willing to book it outright the next time or bid again hoping.

• Thanks 1