WOW! Izumi $62.50 pp before discount

I do realize that food is included in the price of my cruise.  When we have sailed, we either had a 5 night specialty dining package or the UDP.  To me, the food in the dining room sounds good, but is kind of flat tasting other than salt.

I also like the ambiance of the specialty restaurants as opposed to the din of the dining room.  We get far better service in the specialty restaurants as well.  I think the wait staff in the MDR try hard, but have too many tables to service, therefore, service is slow and oft times we have been served the wrong food or have not been served things we ordered.

It is also difficult getting a drink in the MDR.  We have ordered cocktails and they came when we were almost finished with the entree.  For these reasons, it's worth it to us to spend the extra money to dine where we get to enjoy dinner as opposed to just eating.

On Allure, we have gotten to know some of the staff in Chops and that makes things even better.  We have done the same at Giovanni's and Samba.  Our next cruise will include the UDP as, to us, it's just part of paying for the cruise.

Edited by katiel53
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I do realize that food is included in the price of my cruise.  When we sail, we either had 5 night specialty dining packages or the UDP.  To me, the food in the dining room sounds good, but is kind of flat tasting other than salt.

I also like the ambiance of the specialty restaurants as opposed to the din of the dining room.  We get far better service in the specialty restaurants as well.  I think the wait staff in the MDR try hard, but have too many tables to service, therefore, service is slow and oft times we have been served the wrong food or have not been served things we ordered.

It is also difficult getting a drink in the MDR.  We have ordered cocktails and they came when we were almost finished with the entree.  For these reasons, it's worth it to us to spend the extra money to dine where we get to enjoy dinner as opposed to just eating.

On Allure, we have gotten to know some of the staff in Chops and that makes things even better.  We have done the same at Giovanni's and Samba.  Our next cruise will include the UDP as, to us, it's just part of paying for the cruise.

Agreed, on our last cruise our more intimate experience in a specialty was far and away one of our better cruise ship dining experiences.  Where we've had TERRIFIC MDR experiences, that was more so years ago and has felt more lack luster in recent years.  We'll certainly try the MDR again but it won't be our only option.  We can't get full use out of any dining package but will likely still include some paid options along with all the complimentary ones.  

On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, bouhunter said:

We used to do dinner at MDR almost every night. but haven't for 5 years and probably never will again.  Got burned out on the routine, atmosphere and mediocre food.  Now we buy 3 night specialty packages when on sale and do Windjammer most other nights. 

We ate in MTD 3 nights on our last cruise and the 3rd night the noise was so overwhelming that I wanted to leave before we ordered but the Boss said no. I almost lost it when the waiter who we only had that one night asked for a 10 before taking our order. I was getting kicked under the table. The food was good but that was the last night we ate there.

because the food is so terrible in the free venues (dining room and buffet), there's lots more demand for paid restaurants and limited capacity so to control excess demand, they raise the price.

I'm pretty sure this is why the food is so terrible in the free venues now especially on the oasis class ships , to herd people into paid venues and jack up the price

Edited by gilboman

I thought Royal upped their game in the specialty restaurants on our last two cruises. We usually do Giovanni's/Jamie's and Chops and they were very good and worth the money just for the ambience and service. The best filet I've had in a long time was CK on Harmony. It was outstanding. We don't do Izumi and Wonderland was a one and done last year. I have no problem paying for a better experience when I'm on vacation. 

3 hours ago, Big_G said:

We ate in MTD 3 nights on our last cruise and the 3rd night the noise was so overwhelming that I wanted to leave before we ordered but the Boss said no. I almost lost it when the waiter who we only had that one night asked for a 10 before taking our order. I was getting kicked under the table. The food was good but that was the last night we ate there.

RCI frowns on waiters asking for ratings.  They will even mention it in your survey the next day after your cruise, and wants to know if this is going on.  

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

RCI frowns on waiters asking for ratings.  They will even mention it in your survey the next day after your cruise, and wants to know if this is going on.  

Now if they could just stop everyone getting extra friendly in the windjammer the last morning of the last full day.  I swear I got the best service that day but everyone wanted to linger and chat or compliment something about us and it just felt like a money grab.

9 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Now if they could just stop everyone getting extra friendly in the windjammer the last morning of the last full day.  I swear I got the best service that day but everyone wanted to linger and chat or compliment something about us and it just felt like a money grab.

Hmmm...for some reason I have never experienced that.  That last morning (disembarkation) when all the tips have already been paid, I get the feeling they just are just anxious to kick you off the ship.  Many things are cut back on that last day.  

On 4/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, Paulette3028 said:

We do Izumi on sailings and do the 'a la carte sushi' ordering and it NEVER gets anywhere close to that.  

We will be on the Aug 29th Anthem sailing.....are you considering it?

I think you missed it but they do not offer ala carte anymore. Our upcoming cruise on Ovation is $49.99 pp with this description:

Introducing a prix-fixe, palate pleasing, pre-cruise exclusive at Izumi. Enjoy an exotic Asian-inspired experience and choose from an inventive menu of favorite dishes crafted by Master Sushi Chef Travis Kamiyama. This dining experience is a five-course meal for a fixed price - only available pre-cruise.

Start off with one (1) Miso Soup and one (1) starter, like Shrimp Tempura. Pick your choice of one (1) Signature Roll or a flavorful bowl of Ramen. Enjoy five (5) pieces of your favorite type of Sashimi or Nigiri — and top it all off with one (1) delicious dessert like mochi ice cream offered in a variety of flavors. It’s all made to order with bold flavors, the best ingredients and impeccable presentation. Reserve now, as this prix-fixe menu won’t be available for purchase onboard.

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Hmmm...for some reason I have never experienced that.  That last morning (disembarkation) when all the tips have already been paid, I get the feeling they just are just anxious to kick you off the ship.  Many things are cut back on that last day.  

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, this was the last full day of the cruise, for us a sea day, the day when normally additional cash tips are offered about.

We offered one to our favorite water in the solarium because he'd been terrific the whole cruise - the unfortunate (?) part was then he kept bringing us good pours for the rest of the afternoon - packing was extra fun 🙂

Just now, PCWalton1 said:

I think you missed it but they do not offer ala carte anymore. Our upcoming cruise on Ovation is $49.99 pp with this description:

Introducing a prix-fixe, palate pleasing, pre-cruise exclusive at Izumi. Enjoy an exotic Asian-inspired experience and choose from an inventive menu of favorite dishes crafted by Master Sushi Chef Travis Kamiyama. This dining experience is a five-course meal for a fixed price - only available pre-cruise.

Start off with one (1) Miso Soup and one (1) starter, like Shrimp Tempura. Pick your choice of one (1) Signature Roll or a flavorful bowl of Ramen. Enjoy five (5) pieces of your favorite type of Sashimi or Nigiri — and top it all off with one (1) delicious dessert like mochi ice cream offered in a variety of flavors. It’s all made to order with bold flavors, the best ingredients and impeccable presentation. Reserve now, as this prix-fixe menu won’t be available for purchase onboard.

I think this depends completely on the ship and if you ask they'll usually still let you just order sushi.  We were able to do so on Indy and they had the hibachi experience too and labeled it a prix fixe menu.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I think this depends completely on the ship and if you ask they'll usually still let you just order sushi.  We were able to do so on Indy and they had the hibachi experience too and labeled it a prix fixe menu.

Oh ok, my mistake. 😋

17 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, this was the last full day of the cruise, for us a sea day, the day when normally additional cash tips are offered about.

We offered one to our favorite water in the solarium because he'd been terrific the whole cruise - the unfortunate (?) part was then he kept bringing us good pours for the rest of the afternoon - packing was extra fun 🙂

Yes, you are right.  I missed that, I thought you were talking about the last morning.  I prepay my tips, and don't really think about the hand outs I guess.  I tip extra for our cabin attendant, and our regular dining room waiters, but don't really eat in the WJ much, except for a quick bite that last morning.  I guess if I did, and had the same waiters...I would.  

Good pours?  🍷 This kind?  😉 

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I answered yes to that question and I would've gladly identified him if that was a follow up question. 

3 minutes ago, Big_G said:

I answered yes to that question and I would've gladly identified him if that was a follow up question. 

As that is what RCI wants to hear, they are trying to stop that practice.  Good for you!  🙂 Happily I have not had any crew member lately try to drum up ratings.  Most are already aware of that survey question.  

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

As that is what RCI wants to hear, they are trying to stop that practice.  Good for you!  🙂 Happily I have not had any crew member lately try to drum up ratings.  Most are already aware of that survey question.  

First time in a long time. 

46 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yes, you are right.  I missed that, I thought you were talking about the last morning.  I prepay my tips, and don't really think about the hand outs I guess.  I tip extra for our cabin attendant, and our regular dining room waiters, but don't really eat in the WJ much, except for a quick bite that last morning.  I guess if I did, and had the same waiters...I would.  

Good pours?  🍷 This kind?  😉 

Lol yep those kind 🙂. Made me both happy and sorry I hadn’t tipped him sooner!

On 4/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, nelblu said:

Looking at the cruise planner for Anthem Aug. 29 sail and Izumi is $49.99 pp inclusive of a 20% discount.  Crazy, I can get a better meal at my local Japanese Hibachi restaurant.

Honestly, we haven’t found it to be worth the cost...

18 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Does anyone know if you can still do Izumi a la carte for lunch?  I'm on Grandeur in a couple of weeks and was planning on doing this.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:34 AM, Iamcruzin said:

That would be the way to go if you planned on eating in 3 restaurant. I'm not sure how much $35 buys you at Izumi.

If there are 2 of you eating at Izumi’s it is a total of $70 which can end up being a lot of food.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, island lady said:

In my last 3-4 cruises I've been asked to answer the survey as it is quite important.  Prior cruises, not so much by the Cabin Steward, but by Head Waiter and waiters wanting a perfect score.  After awhile it goes thru one ear and out the other.  I answer the survey to the best of my service experiences.

Ps.  No so much in SR or WJ.

One of the two of us loves sushi; the other won't go near it. At THOSE prices, Izumi shouldn't be included in dining packages and they should just add it to Sorrrento's and make it free, because a purser on Anthem told us that Izumi, fleet-wide, is NOT doing well in sales and every time we walked past Izumi's the place was empty every time and even during meal hours.

8 hours ago, johnjen said:

One of the two of us loves sushi; the other won't go near it. At THOSE prices, Izumi shouldn't be included in dining packages and they should just add it to Sorrrento's and make it free, because a purser on Anthem told us that Izumi, fleet-wide, is NOT doing well in sales and every time we walked past Izumi's the place was empty every time and even during meal hours.

Thats kind of a bummer.  Wife and I were looking forward to going to Izumi for dinner, but the pricing seems rather high.  May still do it for something different and as a break from the kids, but still shocked on the prices.

• Like 1