WOW! Izumi $62.50 pp before discount

Price for the sushi class has gone up too, and is much more sparse with the materials now.  For that kind of money, I prefer real sushi at a land based restaurant that gets their fresh fish in every day.  The sushi at Izumi is more like "rice salad" to me...or Publix grocery store sushi.  Not worth the price IMHO.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ryano said:

Yep, my local place is 15.95 for filet and shrimp hibachi with vegetables. That includes fried rice. For .50 a piece you can add a ginger salad and miso soup. 3 spring rolls is 1.50.  Now keep in mind, its not a "show" place where they are actually cooking it in front of you but its excellent and cheap.  These prices are ludicrous! 

I love sushi but Im doing the keto thing so thats out. I will just avoid Izumi this trip 🙂 

Sounds like the food court at Town Center. 😉

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sounds like the food court at Town Center. 😉

Lol!!! 😄   SOHO Hibachi in Calhoun.     About 40 minutes north of Town Center. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

We generally don't do the other specialty restaurants, unless it is gifted to us by our TA (which happens) simply because most of those type of meals we can get in the MDR and it came with the cost of the cruise.  

This how I feel about Wonderland and why I’m willing to overpay for a special occasion.  

18 hours ago, A2Mich said:

No, that thought crosses my mind regularly when I see/hear people buying all of these specialty dinner restaurants.  To each their own...

Exactly.  Often people will say things like "well, that's what I would have paid for a similar land-based experience".  Of course with that land-based experience, they haven't already paid for dinner at another restaurant, as is the case on a cruise.

Edited by time4u2go

8 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Exactly.  Often people will say things like "well, that's what I would have paid for a similar land-based experience".  Of course with that land-based experience, they haven't already paid for dinner at another restaurant, as is the case on a cruise.

True, but I feel some of the MDR menus are nothing I want to eat that night

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

True, but I feel some of the MDR menus are nothing I want to eat that night

I don't eat in the MDR now. Plates are stacked high. Food sometimes isn't hot, just warm.

Wndjammer has a different theme each night. Chops has been good and Giovanni's was ok.

Solarium Bistro was good on Harmony 

Yet to try CK on Oasis class yet and looking forward to Anthem next year

27 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

We all know that there's a cost to us for the MDR, the comparison mentioned is the price differential and what one gets to dine between the 2 experiences.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy C said:

It really is highway robbery.  The place sucks.  Save your money.  Went on Harmony and never again.  

Did you do the hibachi experience where they cook in front of you? I ask because I am going on harmony soon and have signed up for the hibachi experience. First cruise. 

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Do any ships other than Oasis class have Hibachi?

Mariner is supposed to.  We're planning on trying in a couple of weeks.  I'm a big fan of Teppanyaki/Hibachi.  We have the UDP so I'm hoping they will just give me a certain $ value credit towards it.

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion here.... but last year on HOTS, tried almost all the specialty dinning restaurants, including CK.  Best tasting dinner all week long was at WJ.  No melting chocolate balls, no seafood tower, no eggs flying through the air, or cartwheel of salts, just fresh, hot food.  It was surprisingly quiet too. 

13 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion here.... but last year on HOTS, tried almost all the specialty dinning restaurants, including CK.  Best tasting dinner all week long was at WJ.  No melting chocolate balls, no seafood tower, no eggs flying through the air, or cartwheel of salts, just fresh, hot food.  It was surprisingly quiet too. 

Harmony has a good WJ dinner. The hot stations at the back are fabulous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Especially when you've already paid for a meal in the MDR.  So many people seem to ignore that fact when considering the price of a specialty restaurant.

How much would you attribute to your dinner meals in the MDR, ie on a 7 day cruise, 7 dinners?  I too have thought about it and got in a discussion a few years ago when on Royal you could buy the steak from the speciality restaurant in the MDR for about 1/2 the cost of the Chops restaurant cost as I recall.   At that time it was  $30 or $35 for restaurant and if I recall correctly the steak was $15 or $20 extra in MDR. 

24 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

How much would you attribute to your dinner meals in the MDR, ie on a 7 day cruise, 7 dinners?  I too have thought about it and got in a discussion a few years ago when on Royal you could buy the steak from the speciality restaurant in the MDR for about 1/2 the cost of the Chops restaurant cost as I recall.   At that time it was  $30 or $35 for restaurant and if I recall correctly the steak was $15 or $20 extra in MDR. 

You can still do that. 

2 hours ago, KB Cruisin said:

Did you do the hibachi experience where they cook in front of you? I ask because I am going on harmony soon and have signed up for the hibachi experience. First cruise. 

We did.  The kids loved the entertainment and that part was nice.  Our entire table agreed that the place was not worth the price. We cancelled our subsequent reservation.  Save your money.  

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I used to read that statement quite often on other boards but as time goes on and the price goes up I read it less and less. Overpriced seems to be the theme on the Royal Caribbean board. Fortunately or unfortunately for us we only cruise once every year or two on different lines so we don’t get tired of the MDR. I can understand wanting to switch things up after 25 or more cruises on the same line 

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I used to read that statement quite often on other boards but as time goes on and the price goes up I read it less and less. Overpriced seems to be the theme on the Royal Caribbean board. Fortunately or unfortunately for us we only cruise once every year or two on different lines so we don’t get tired of the MDR. I can understand wanting to switch things up after 25 or more cruises on the same line 

The reason DH and I frequent Izumi on a cruise ship, is we like Japanese food.  If Japanese food was on the MDR menu, we might not do it -- but it isn't.  We eat plenty of food around the ship all day long, that covers what I would consider is the "FOOD $$$ Allotment" from our cruise fare.  It is not as if we are ONLY eating dinner onboard the ship (LOL).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think it's the basic theme for any of the mainstream (non-luxury) lines.  It's all about the extra sources of revenue.  

If you don't need/want the extras, then you don't need to pay for them.  

My bill at the end of the week is just tips, nothing else.  I buy a soda (or Refreshment, if the sale is good) package beforehand, and I buy a multi-device internet package beforehand and share it with friends so it's only $50 for the week.

I don't need spa treatments, sushi classes, cupcake decorating, escape rooms, specialty dining, ice cream, perfume / booze / designer purses / jewelry, etc., so I don't pay for all those things.  

I don't feel "nickel-and-dimed" when I cruise -- I prefer the way everything is a la carte, because I can cruise more often.  If I were on a luxury line where "everything (including a bunch of stuff I don't even want) is included" then I wouldn't be able to cruise nearly as often.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Andy C said:

We did.  The kids loved the entertainment and that part was nice.  Our entire table agreed that the place was not worth the price. We cancelled our subsequent reservation.  Save your money.  

Thank you for that input!  Much appreciated!

25 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I think it's the basic theme for any of the mainstream (non-luxury) lines.  It's all about the extra sources of revenue.  

If you don't need/want the extras, then you don't need to pay for them.  

My bill at the end of the week is just tips, nothing else.  I buy a soda (or Refreshment, if the sale is good) package beforehand, and I buy a multi-device internet package beforehand and share it with friends so it's only $50 for the week.

I don't need spa treatments, sushi classes, cupcake decorating, escape rooms, specialty dining, ice cream, perfume / booze / designer purses / jewelry, etc., so I don't pay for all those things.  

I don't feel "nickel-and-dimed" when I cruise -- I prefer the way everything is a la carte, because I can cruise more often.  If I were on a luxury line where "everything (including a bunch of stuff I don't even want) is included" then I wouldn't be able to cruise nearly as often.  

True but in relation to the specialty restaurants the prices have got out of hand for what they are. $25 to $35 I would consider Chops or Jamies. I don't see anything special on either menu that warrants more. Sushi is a specialty item and I might consider the a la cart menu as an appetizer with a drink before dinner but not a full meal at $50 to $60. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not as good as Chops, they cook it in the MDR. 

I believe Chops has better broilers

Better broiler? That's a stretch. I would imagine that the reason is that they are not prepping  6000 meals and they can cook to order like a real restaurant.

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Better broiler? That's a stretch. I would imagine that the reason is that they are not prepping  6000 meals and they can cook to order like a real restaurant.

Well, that 

And better broilers 😉

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sushi is a specialty item and I might consider the a la cart menu as an appetizer with a drink before dinner but not a full meal at $50 to $60. 

It's not the sushi that is $50 -- that's the "dinner and a show" hibachi experience.

• Like 1