Carnival Corp in major legal trouble for illegal dumping and more...

Tarwood3

The National Park Service's decision will reflect poor decision making or corruption (or both) if they don't remove Carnival's permits (that includes Holland, Princess, and Cunard.) Basing the distribution of permits for Glacier Bay on "seniority" in Alaska always seemed to smack of some level of corruption. Pulling Carnival's permits will send a strong message to all the cruiselines.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, Hlitner said:

Surprised that a few did not post an answer.  Ballast water is used in ballast tanks which are deep in the hull (below the waterline) and used to provide stability via adding weight.  Large ships have multiple ballast tanks and can actually shift ballast water between tanks to "trim the ship" or get it on a more even keel.  Ballast water is generally sea water but it gets dirty from sloshing around in the tanks.  There are various environmental regulations about where and when ships can pump out ballast water but I believe it is usually at least 200 miles out to sea..  There are normally prohibitions when close to shore and certainly in Glacier Bay. 

Gray water is polluted water, but not badly polluted (a simple generalization).  For example, the stuff that drains out of your dishwasher or sink would be gray water.  Gray water is not potable (you cannot drink the stuff).   Black water would be what comes out of your toilet.  

Hank

Ballast water issues are regulated by the 2004 International Convention for the Control and Management of Ship's Ballast Water & Sediments. The major issue with ballast water is not sloshing around in tanks, but the potential introduction of non-native invasive aquatic species - microbes, micro-algae, aquatic plants & aquatic animals, into environments where ballast water is pumped out.

Each ship must have a Ballast Water plan and the expectation is that any ballast taken aboard at another port, must be exchanged at sea. I believe any ballast not so exchanged cannot be pumped overboard within 50 miles of shore.

Cruise ships will normally take on ballast as they burn fuel to maintain stability. The ballast is then pumped out when taking or about to take bunkers.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Aquahound said:

From what I read, the contracts go in to effect in October, 2019.  RCCL (parent company) received the permits so I wonder if they're looking at Celebrity first.  Here's a story on it.

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

I'm interested in what wasn't in the article.  If NPS has expanded the number of permits or are re-distributing the existing permits.  That would be a way to take some from Carnival Corp's lines and redistribute them.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:17 PM, evandbob said:

At every muster drill, I hear about a "commitment to environmental leadership" and how cruise lines are leading the way in ecological science.  Their PR is BS!

Not only committing the pollution, but then covering it up with lies and obfuscation.  The company should be heavily fined, the execs who authorized the falsification of documents jailed, and the cruise line banned from pristine preserves like Glacier Bay.

Just my opinion, as someone who has sailed Carnival 40x and Princess twice.

I just finished reading the provided links in this thread - I honestly had no idea that such things were occuring. I totally agree that the claims of environmental leadership are BS!! Totally disgusting behavior but guess I shouldn't be surprised. 

6 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Heard about this.

Will be watching to see how all this will turn out and exactly what US ports will be affected.

If there is a "ban" it is not port specific, it would be a ban on Carnival ships entering US waters at all.

47 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If there is a "ban" it is not port specific, it would be a ban on Carnival ships entering US waters at all.

chengkp75, sorry about this off topic question, but might you know what this floating item is from a recent post?:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2654103-what-is-it/

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

chengkp75, sorry about this off topic question, but might you know what this floating item is from a recent post?:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2654103-what-is-it/

No idea, without seeing it all around, but my guess is a fishing canoe that has lost buoyancy, and has an outboard motor holding the one end under water.

12 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Well, we stopped cruising with Princess after they were convicted and fined for disposing of polluting substances illegally and deliberately.

Are there any ethical cruise lines out there that I could cruise with?

We have the same feeling, especially when Princess returned Caribbean Princess, which had been doing this for 5 years around our coasts, the summer after the court case. Our beach is not far as the seagull flies, from the route she sailed. 

We decided to ignore the line until we discovered that the $1 million awarded to the UK's coast had been delivered, but so far we have not found that out.