Jim_Iain Live Blog - Infinity B2B - Carribbean and East Bound TA

Jim_Iain

Question for those that have used transfer for BCN

When you book using ChoiceAir do they include a free transfer.  We didn’t book a transfer but received one tonight.  

Also, when would first busses arrive at airport.   We have an 11:00 flight so we’re going to use cab. 

Also so on an eastbound TA.  Where do we clear immigration/customs?  I’ll be asking around tonight. 639B7EFE-5146-419F-8DF9-C7A35DD1644D.thumb.jpeg.233bdf42b02b605339deb2bcc1c4e589.jpeg

Regarding the Apple product pricing: Even at sea Apple doesn’t offer any lower pricing! 😂

Only advantage buying there is no sales tax; and that’s only an advantage if you don’t live in a state that doesn’t have sales tax. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, 24acorns said:

Sorry to correct, but who ever told you this but not true.

I did an "Immersive Wine Cruise" out of Harwich. UK in 2013 and certainly was not a new ship then. I think Infinity also sailed out of UK the year before as well.

I did a 14 night cruise on Infinity from Copenhagen to Iceland in May 2014, the weather was 30 degrees! We disembarked in Harwich. I paid £480 for it, those were the days! Less than 5 years ago

EDIT sorry just seen your post saying someone said last time was 2015

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Aralim said:

Regarding the Apple product pricing: Even at sea Apple doesn’t offer any lower pricing! 😂

Only advantage buying there is no sales tax; and that’s only an advantage if you don’t live in a state that doesn’t have sales tax. 

Great advantages buying on board if you live in UK, as you don’t pay VAT, which is 20%. Also, can be a favourable exchange rate as on board currency is $U.S.

I bought a 128gb iPad mini in 2015 and didn’t exceed my £390 Customs allowance. If you do exceed this allowance you must be prepared to pay the full VAT when you return to the U.K.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Question for those that have used transfer for BCN

When you book using ChoiceAir do they include a free transfer.  We didn’t book a transfer but received one tonight.  

Also, when would first busses arrive at airport.   We have an 11:00 flight so we’re going to use cab. 

I have no knowledge of the ship's transfer, but I wanted to add that when we self-disembarked last year at BCN, I was very happy to have pre-booked our taxi because the line for taxis was very long.  Our driver was waiting for us (we were a little early) with our name sign.  We used Suntransfers, as we have done before, and it was well worth the extra couple of euros we paid, as it was also very cold (late October).

• Like 2

There can be long lines there...less for airline check in,  but for security it can back up..We had a slight  language issue over souvenier soap which they referred to as a candle.   

Watch your belongings closely.  When we were there someone stole  a personal  bag right off someone's cart on the airline check in line.  She was careless to leave it there.  Bag had her travel docs and passport...she could not fly home.  They locked down part of the terminal but the thief was not caught..

It can happen anywhere but Barcelona is well  known.

Safe travels!

13 hours ago, Aralim said:

You are certainly correct.    The prices are the same as in the U.S. with the exception of no sales tax.  

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Great advantages buying on board if you live in UK, as you don’t pay VAT, which is 20%. Also, can be a favourable exchange rate as on board currency is $U.S.

I bought a 128gb iPad mini in 2015 and didn’t exceed my £390 Customs allowance. If you do exceed this allowance you must be prepared to pay the full VAT when you return to the U.K.

Good advise.    Our sales tax in California is only 9.25% but the prices aren't enough to excite me.   I'm trying to figure out how to spend some non-refundable OBC's.    Harder than one would expect when you have free Laundry, Internet, Premium Liquor package.  

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have no knowledge of the ship's transfer, but I wanted to add that when we self-disembarked last year at BCN, I was very happy to have pre-booked our taxi because the line for taxis was very long.  Our driver was waiting for us (we were a little early) with our name sign.  We used Suntransfers, as we have done before, and it was well worth the extra couple of euros we paid, as it was also very cold (late October).

Thanks for the information.    I discovered it wasn't a benefit.   They had charged my account for it even though I didn't select it as an option.    Wim (MCC) said he would have it reversed.     I took you advise and booked a transfer just in case the lines are large.  

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

There can be long lines there...less for airline check in,  but for security it can back up..We had a slight  language issue over souvenier soap which they referred to as a candle.   

Watch your belongings closely.  When we were there someone stole  a personal  bag right off someone's cart on the airline check in line.  She was careless to leave it there.  Bag had her travel docs and passport...she could not fly home.  They locked down part of the terminal but the thief was not caught..

It can happen anywhere but Barcelona is well  known.

Safe travels!

Great advise. 

I found out today that we will formally clear immigration in Barcelona on arrival so building in some extra time for that.  We have never taken an East Bound TA so will be our first experience.   

Last evenings dinner was the 2nd Chic Night. Very festive and nice menus.  

I chose the Tomatoes salad and the Chateaubriand.   It was very tender and juicy. 

60500372-5124-44D0-85EE-7186B05ACE2C.thumb.jpeg.4ae3ae627d5ce903a2571e79c5a48327.jpeg

i forgot got to take a picture.  

Today is a little cooler and a bit more wind but continues to be smooth.  Temps will be high if 64 and sunny.   Many including myself put on a sweater. 

Tomorrow will be our first port. 

We will be eating a light lunch as we have been invited to dinner with Staff Captain Damianos this evening at 6:00 pm. 

944ED0C3-D7F0-4875-B9B4-0D82D8D77385.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, effinaround said:

Jim, have you considered Uber?  We used uber when we docked at BCN last November off the Eclipse and it was painless.

I’ve used it before but this time booked a car.    If we he car doesn’t show up for some reason I will pull out Uber. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

2 hours ago, effinaround said:

Jim, have you considered Uber?  We used uber when we docked at BCN last November off the Eclipse and it was painless.

Hi.

I believe Uber have suspended operations in Barcelona due to the city imposing regulations against them.

John C

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great advise. 

I found out today that we will formally clear immigration in Barcelona on arrival so building in some extra time for that.  We have never taken an East Bound TA so will be our first experience.   

Jim, I would appreciate hearing about your immigration experience after the fact.  We are US citizens and are wondering what we will have to go through as far as customs and immigration upon arrival in port.

Hi Jim

Don't know if you have flown from Barcelona before,,,,,but there are x2 terminals.

Terminal 1 for Transatlantics,,,,,,Terminal 2 for European flights.

The distance between the two is a bus ride.

Last Oct they were piling both terminals onto the same transfer buses,there was chaos when the driver went to T1,,,,and said he wasn't scheduled to go to T2.

We got a pre-booked taxi for 08:00 and they were filling the coaches up then.

John C

Hello and greetings Jim and Ian , thank you for taking us along on another of your adventures. (Just read your daily post - my fix for the day as our weather here in Canada is still pretty grey and cold). Jim, together with a group of friends we are planning a cruise next year and are in the process of choosing cabins. A few of our group are mentioning that they would love to experience the most forward cabins on deck 7. Those overlooking the helipad on both port and starboard. One being 7003. If at all, the chance arises can you ask for photos of these if anyone is so kind. Would love to have this info, post redo. If not possible no problem . Thankyou and have a great rest of your cruise.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

It’s too bad Celebrity doesn’t change the time on eastbound cruises the way Seabourn does.   I much prefer losing an hour from 2pm-3pm than an hour of

They also showed the movie “Groundhog Day” to further celebrate the event.

Celebrity did that on one of our Eastbound transatlantics a few years back. It was a wonderfully seamless way of losing an hour 👍.

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last evenings dinner was the 2nd Chic Night. Very festive and nice menus.  

I chose the Tomatoes salad and the Chateaubriand.   It was very tender and juicy. 

60500372-5124-44D0-85EE-7186B05ACE2C.thumb.jpeg.4ae3ae627d5ce903a2571e79c5a48327.jpeg

i forgot got to take a picture.  

I would be comatose after this menu, possibly dead. I’d have wanted the tomato salad, the seared prawns, the lobster, and the wild mushroom pot pie all in one sitting!! 😱

And maybe the pea risotto, depending on how the waiter described it.

Thank you for not showing the dessert menu! I’d be worried about becoming Mr. Creosote!

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

Weird that the position of Infinity has not been updated in Marine Traffic for over 6 days... 🤔

A35DB008-E1C5-40F3-85E5-A2980FECA5BE.png

I noticed that.   Looks like she updated last night as we are now showing about 1 hour out of Funchal.