Jim_Iain Live Blog - Infinity B2B - Carribbean and East Bound TA

Jim_Iain

Did you get to Camara de Lobos? This fishing village was made famous by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who spent time painting there. He used to stay at Reid’s hotel, which can be seen on the headland.

D475EC6B-1BAD-420D-89C7-C1E53F99F44C.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

Wow, your pictures are wonderful and this island is STUNNING.  This is making me seriously consider a cruise to this area.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share your adventure!

Would really recommend Madeira.   It is a beautiful island and the first thing you will notice is cleanliness.   You don't see litter anywhere and I even noticed our guide picking up some litter on a trail while we were walking.   The other thing I noticed is that with the exception of some wonderful murals you see no graffiti like you would normally see in most cities.   

Valdemar joked and said it is such a small item that  if a teen did do graffiti everyone would know who did it.  May be true but regardless Madeira is a gem.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks for treating us to your great photos and commentary;   happy you are having perfect weather! 

We have been blessed with wonderful weather for a crossing.   Today has been chilly (62-63), misty and windy.   The seas are choppy with swells 9-12 foot swells (3-4 M).   It is the first day that you could actually feel that you are at sea but not heavy enough to cause any discomfort or problem walking.,   The Captain has asked for women to wear flats today for their safety. 

1B3A1CBA-28CF-48F0-B081-0908A1628C7C.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

We got back to Funchal about 4:45 and even though we had to be back by 5:30 Valdar wanted to show us one last place.   He assured us the ship would be in view at all times and we could get to the ship in less than 5 minutes.  We drove up a steep hill and with a toot of a horn someone came out of guard house and opened a gate to Fort Saint-Joseph.     It guards the harbor of Funchal and was opened in 1614.   It has been a Military facility until recently when it was opened to the public and houses a small bar and museum. 

image.thumb.png.9e03f366611c8205d3fae3a7bb792af6.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Guanábana (Annona muricata) Ice cream yummy

I’m glad you know the fruit.  I had never seen it before but lived it. 

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Did you get to Camara de Lobos? This fishing village was made famous by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who spent time painting there. He used to stay at Reid’s hotel, which can be seen on the headland.

D475EC6B-1BAD-420D-89C7-C1E53F99F44C.jpeg

We didn’t have the opportunity to visit it.  There is so much to see, we feel we just got scratched the surface.   I’m sure you would agree it is a beautiful island and some of the friendliest people.   I know we could easily spend a week here and never see it all. 

• Like 1

Wow.   Finally getting caught up.  The sun is breaking through at 5:00 pm and internet is back with us. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be the best weather of the week for our visit to Lisbon. 

96C61084-4B37-42AB-B350-A18AC4834478.thumb.png.0fc6cdca3196f1f3fc97afba6ae7c305.png

• Like 1

Tomorrow is looking like a busy day. They have arranged for a sail away reception on the Helipad followed by the Senior Officers Reception.  

It it will also be our final timezone change. YEA!    Afternoon naps have helped.  I have to admit I much prefer the Westbound for timezone changes but happy to report it wasn’t very painful.  BDD51980-6CE1-4604-B356-ADF63D6F4FF7.thumb.jpeg.b551caa2ee8079c9a6765fc2d77997f1.jpeg

1742A8D2-0D46-4E35-A595-11DAE5FCD217.thumb.jpeg.f0567e886ce402385218a2b558e0ad9d.jpeg

• Like 1

Tomorrow we have a Cruise Critic arranged shore excursion of Lisbon, Sinatra and Estoril via SPAIN Day Tours. 

We will be meeting outside the port entrance at 7:45-7:59 for an 8:00am tour.  

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Tomorrow we have a Cruise Critic arranged shore excursion of Lisbon, Sinatra and Estoril via SPAIN Day Tours. 

We have that exact same tour scheduled when we're in Lisbon on the Reflection in September.  Excited to hear what you think of it!

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have used Spain Day Tours and can recommend. Not for Lisbon but Seville x Cadiź, which was an excellent day. Sintra is lovely too.

Madeira  is the most beautiful of Islands in the area. Full of colour and lovely walks., lucky enough to spend a week in a Quinta perched on the hill overlooking the harbour.

You have been so lucky with the weather. I think Silhoutte had a difficult time last week.

Enjoy Lisbon

33 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

We have that exact same tour scheduled when we're in Lisbon on the Reflection in September.  Excited to hear what you think of it!

Really looking forward to our tour.   In the past we have just toured Lisbon and were really interested to learn more about some close by towns.   I'll make sure to get as much information as I can.

5 minutes ago, 24acorns said:

I have used Spain Day Tours and can recommend. Not for Lisbon but Seville x Cadiź, which was an excellent day. Sintra is lovely too.

Madeira  is the most beautiful of Islands in the area. Full of colour and lovely walks., lucky enough to spend a week in a Quinta perched on the hill overlooking the harbour.

You have been so lucky with the weather. I think Silhoutte had a difficult time last week.

Enjoy Lisbon

Thanks for the recommendation.   This is our first time dealing with Spain Day Tours.   I initially tried to book a tour in the Azores but unfortunately was too late and they were fully booked and I booked the Lisbon tour instead.   They have been excellent communicating.   It appears that they have at least 2 bus tours as ours is listed as Bus #1. 

We have really been lucky with the weather and crossing.   Forecasts for the remainder of the cruise are currently showing clear skies and temperatures in the 80's and 90's.   The weather for Ayrshire, Scotland is not looking as nice with temperatures forecast mid-30 to 50 for our visit after the cruise ends.  

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really looking forward to our tour.   In the past we have just toured Lisbon and were really interested to learn more about some close by towns.   I'll make sure to get as much information as I can.

Thanks for the recommendation.   This is our first time dealing with Spain Day Tours.   I initially tried to book a tour in the Azores but unfortunately was too late and they were fully booked and I booked the Lisbon tour instead.   They have been excellent communicating.   It appears that they have at least 2 bus tours as ours is listed as Bus #1. 

We have really been lucky with the weather and crossing.   Forecasts for the remainder of the cruise are currently showing clear skies and temperatures in the 80's and 90's.   The weather for Ayrshire, Scotland is not looking as nice with temperatures forecast mid-30 to 50 for our visit after the cruise ends.   

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thank you Jim!!

Edited by Beachlover1989

Just now, rowingmachine said:

The weather for Ayrshire, Scotland is not looking as nice with temperatures forecast mid-30 to 50 for our visit after the cruise ends.   

Hey, you will love it. Son and self just back from a coach tour to the Highlands where the weather was warmer and calmer than anywhere else in UK.  Met several travellers carrying their hiking gear and wearing the rest, expecting dreek Scottish weather.  Great time to visit.  No midges, but not much water in the falls.  Enjoy the quickly changing weather varieties. 

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were just invited to a tour of the engine control room this morning.   It is the first visit for us and really found it interesting.  

C6F45F1F-A486-4316-8C74-3A315D584003.thumb.jpeg.ae9b8e75c52072bba15cf9924170f4ea.jpeg

41455100-C94F-43B5-AE23-E73C966B3F30.thumb.jpeg.f42dc36ed0872ebc6662d1576785ed96.jpeg

734FEFB4-AA59-4B26-8C8D-201039A77E95.thumb.jpeg.df88c233509be9502177ef3a032a3053.jpeg

206EBBE7-D09C-49F4-979A-EFE4C5F98666.thumb.jpeg.a66837210775c947ae18b9a646e2c7f6.jpeg

No windows?? When do those poor souls see the light of day? I found it very interesting as well

• Like 2