Quiet Place to Read?

rivas.hannah

A bar????  I wouldn't pick an outdoor bar for a quiet place on board.  That said, an indoor bar on a day at sea might be good off in a corner as long as no event being held.   Other indoor spaces that will be quiet in the daytime, as long as no events going on, would be Vista Lounge, probably Club 6, and even some chairs or sofas along certain hallways.  Just walk around and explore and you will find a happy place on any ship - even outdoors.

1 hour ago, rivas.hannah said:

While cruising, I love to find a comfortable, quiet place with a view to curl up and write letters. Does anyone have recommendations for the best places on board the Royal Princess? Thank you!

The Sanctuary.

While I have never sailed on Royal (or even a Royal class ship) I would guess that, like all of the other Princess ships Wheelhouse will likely be quiet before the bar is actually open. Vista Lounge is often quiet on most ships for much of the time although they sometimes do have things scheduled there. We can always find a quiet place to read on ships. Wander around and you will find somewhere you like that is quiet. As suggested above I have always been able to find quiet for reading at the Outrigger bar area.

My own balcony is usually my first choice.  She Who Must Be Obeyed is the only chair hog I have to worry about and she gets first choice anyway.  Her cabin boy rises early and gets two thermal mugs of tea (we prefer coffee not made from coffee syrup) and we are all set.  No over-amplified pool band to contend with either.

We see no benefit from the melanoma deck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If warm, Outrigger Bar/Horizon Terrace. Nice comfortable wicker chairs and sofas, plus tables and chairs. Nice views. Self serve free coffee, tea and hot chocolate available all day. Snacks are a short walk away in the buffet area.

The Retreat Pool is quiet. At both the port and starboard side entrances to the Retreat Pool there is a shaded seating area with padded wicker chairs.

Indoors you have to read the patter and find a location and hours when there is no activity. The least used lounge during the day is Club 6, but they do have trivia there.The Vista Lounge has bingo and other daytime activities.

The Wheelhouse Bar normally does not open until later in the afternoon. Seats can be available during the day. With the Wheelhouse you will see passengers walking by all day. This is another place where the staff holds trivia and other day time games. The Pub Lunch is held at the Wheelhouse.

Some also sit and read by the windows across from the Princess Live Bar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

A bar????  I wouldn't pick an outdoor bar for a quiet place on board.  That said, an indoor bar on a day at sea might be good off in a corner as long as no event being held.   Other indoor spaces that will be quiet in the daytime, as long as no events going on, would be Vista Lounge, probably Club 6, and even some chairs or sofas along certain hallways.  Just walk around and explore and you will find a happy place on any ship - even outdoors.

During the day, we found the Outrigger on the Regal (Royal's sister ship) fairly quiet, with some comfy chairs to sit in with a great wake view...

42 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

During the day, we found the Outrigger on the Regal (Royal's sister ship) fairly quiet, with some comfy chairs to sit in with a great wake view...

I agree. That's some of the most comfortable seating on the ship.

As for the Wheelhouse, the ones on the Royal-class ships aren't like the others. Instead of being tucked away and intimate, they're out in the open and exposed to constant foot traffic and the accompanying noise, just kind of an adjunct to the Crown Grill.

Club 6 is a possibility, but it's kind of an odd space. It doesn't have that many scheduled events (that I've seen) during the day and tends to take on the feel of a bus station at times with people sprawled all over the place, grabbing a little shut-eye.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Don't count on Explorers' Lounge being a quiet place on sea days.    On 3 sea days on the Ruby recently, the entire lounge was taken over all day by Art Auctions, leaving very few indoor seating areas available.   By the way, we're currently on the HAL Volendam, with many very comfortable indoor seating areas looking out to the sea and NO ART AUCTIONS!   

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

I think the Horizon Terrace near the Outrigger bar is a relatively quiet place to sit and read. There are also chairs on Promenade deck outside mid-ship and aft. 

2 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

That’s a good location for a comfortable, quiet place with a view.

C976B062-4E2F-47A1-BFE0-AA4811465738.jpeg

• Like 1