MedallionNet experience

ccruzer123

2 minutes ago, az2sea said:

Looking at getting MedallionNet for my husband on our Royal Princess cruise.  Is it worth it?  Also, can you use onboard credit to purchase the plan?  

The unlimited MedallionNet package is awesome.

If it is fully up and running the speed is outstanding.

I have experienced it on the Regal and the Caribbean Princess.

I stayed logged in 24/7!

Yes you can purchase onboard and when charged to your shipboard account it should count against the OBC.

• Like 1

I'm with Colo Cruiser on this one.  I've used it twice on the Regal with unlimited and found it to be amazing.  Streamed things, facetimed my grandson, did some work on line and actually did my hosting duties & a live from here without issues!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, Pickels said:

On our last cruise I purchased the package ($59) for my wife and she said it was amazing; worth every penny!

Isn't that $59 per day? No way will I pay that for Internet access. I'm glad it's worth it for some but, even with the crummy Internet access Princess is famous for neither of us has used all of our free minutes on our last 3 cruises (14 day, 7 day, and 19 day). On a 28 day cruise not too long ago we had plenty of minutes to satisfy our needs. I may spend hours online at home but, on a cruise, I can do fine without constant access.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Isn't that $59 per day? No way will I pay that for Internet access. I'm glad it's worth it for some but, even with the crummy Internet access Princess is famous for neither of us has used all of our free minutes on our last 3 cruises (14 day, 7 day, and 19 day). On a 28 day cruise not too long ago we had plenty of minutes to satisfy our needs. I may spend hours online at home but, on a cruise, I can do fine without constant access.

It was $59 per week on the Royal two weeks ago, and even cheaper for Elites and Platinums at $49 per week.  $52 total, or $104 for four devices.  MedallionNet is not even in the same league with the other awful internet on so many other Princess ships.  

Edited by 4cats4me

42 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

It was $59 per week on the Royal two weeks ago, and even cheaper for Elites and Platinums at $49 per week.  $52 total, or $104 for four devices.  MedallionNet is not even in the same league with the other awful internet on so many other Princess ships.  

Thanks for the correction. Question: Even though the free minutes aren't unlimited don't they share the same type of connection as the paid minutes? It would seem odd to have multiple levels of connectivity.

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Thanks for the correction. Question: Even though the free minutes aren't unlimited don't they share the same type of connection as the paid minutes? It would seem odd to have multiple levels of connectivity.

Yes, my husband used his free minutes, since he refused to buy a package.  He felt that the speed was a lot quicker than before. 

It was even faster than our service at home. 

It's the same speed whether you buy the package or use your perk minutes.  Buy onboard if you are Platinum/Elite to get a 25% discount and/or use OBC, but ...  The Voyage package is quoted at $9.99 per day for the whole voyage or $15.99 per day when bought by the day onboard.   

Our 28 dayer is quoting $129.99 for the whole voyage package when purchased ahead of time - so it's still about 50% off when buying ahead online.  Therefore on a longer cruise your perk 25% off may not be as good as the 50% off ahead of time.    We did note they stopped selling online about a week before sailing. 

On the 7 dayer, it was $7.54 less to buy onboard with Platinum/Elite 25% off the 7 times $9.99 per day whole voyage rate.  $59.99 versus $52.45 (forgive the roundings).

Streaming TV worked fine and I found no WiFi dead spots on the Royal March 23rd - April 6th this year.  The service is based on middle orbit satellites, Google "O3b" 

To quote Colo - it is very cool not to have to worry about logging off.  I even got a travel router for the cabin to allow Kindles and multiple devices to share an uplink. 

FWIW on a recent 49 day cruise on the Royal I purchased the $99.00 unlimited one device package. I was happy with it as I could remain logged in all night without having to worry about using up all my minutes. I was able to do face time with the grandkids and watch some short early morning TV from my slingbox.

Howard

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

No...that's the total cost for the entire cruise; my wife loved it and used it every day!

19 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I have just read on another social media site that the free internet minutes had stopped for Platinum. Is this true ?

Platinum and Elite still get free Internet minutes. For a short time while Medallion Net was being rolled out they got unlimited free minutes. That was cancelled. The regular free minutes are still around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Platinum and Elite still get free Internet minutes.

When you sign on for the first time, you will be given the option to either continue and use your free minutes or give up your free minutes and purchase a cruise-long unlimited package.

I will be sailing on Sky Princess on January 2020 but the Internet Access options on the Onboard Reservations page doesn't show the MedallionNet Unlimited option, only the old 120, 240, 460 and 680 minutes packages. Doesn't the Sky Princess supposed to have MedallionNet Unlimited Internet access?  

Edited by carlosalonsor

On 4/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, Thrak said:

We paid $59 for a seven day package on the Regal in January. $9.99 was the daily rate.

5 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

I will be sailing on Sky Princess on January 2020 but the Internet Access options on the Onboard Reservations page doesn't show the MedallionNet Unlimited option, only the old 120, 240, 460 and 680 minutes packages. Doesn't the Sky Princess supposed to have MedallionNet Unlimited Internet access?  

It probably won’t show medallion net until the ship gets closer to being completed

• Like 1

Several people on our roll call for November 4 TA from Barcelona have already purchased the new plans. Many others (myself included) don't even see the option available. All we see in the personalizer is the ship-t0-shore calling - 10 minutes for $49.50. One person who doesn't see the Internet packages called Princess and was told it's not available yet. Weird since several have actually purchased it via the personalizer.

I purchased a package today at $59.99 for seven day cruise.  We will have a lap-top and my tablet, and will just share the internet by taking turns being logged in.  I really did not want to go the $119 price to have both of us on at the same time.

😁