PART#2 CRUISING IN THE SS MARINER FROM TOKYO TO VANCOUVER

I’m starting to think I want to see Japan.  I was there when 18...don’t remember very much. Big thing is there is a nonstop from Dallas.  Nonstops are starting to take on more importance as I age with RA.  Keep up the reports. Loving it. 

Edited by rcandkc
Error

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I’m starting to think I want to see Japan.  I was there when 18...don’t remember very much. Big thing is there is a nonstop from Dallas.  Nonstops are starting to take on more importance as I age with RA.  Keep up the reports. Loving it. 

Yep we totally understand! We did the nonstop from DFW to Narita on JAL. Good flight considering it was 14 hours!! 🙀

K

Love to follow your blog. Always interesting and filled with fabulous photos. 

Please send our hugs to Vlad. Remind him I am the lady in the red scooter with O2. He always takes such good care of me ( as do so many others on Regent). 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm a bit confused--were you still in Tokyo for the marching bands, or had you moved on to a different port?  Sounds wonderful, wherever it was, we've been fortunate enough to have people in port entertain us on various cruises and it's always special.

Okay, now I see from the other thread that is was Hitachinaka.

Yes it was Hitachinaka and it really was something to see.  It was like the town came out for the street fair at the port and stayed all day.  It was a full day, lucky for us we were on port side so it was a day watching everyone and the shows.

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Great to know that you can ask for a caviar plate in the suite - our first day on the cruise is a Sunday and we aren't planning to go onshore.  (Catalina island doesn't interest us that much) So that is exactly what we'll do!!

And it was good, not the best but good and done the right way.

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Love to follow your blog. Always interesting and filled with fabulous photos. 

Please send our hugs to Vlad. Remind him I am the lady in the red scooter with O2. He always takes such good care of me ( as do so many others on Regent). 

Sheila

OK well do, we're having dinner with him.

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

Yes they have a non-stop from Dallas, We went to Hong Kong first however the AA flight for Japan left right after us.  And I think JL also has one.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

So good to learn that they are still doing the warm welcomes and farewell in Japan.  We have not seen anything in the world as nice as what they do there.  

I saw school girls in a photo on the other thread and it reminded me of when we were there.  Not sure if it was the same on your cruise but on ours, the school girls were there to practice their English.  At first I thought that were looking for a tip or something to give directions but I was 100% wrong.  They were delightful.

Cannot imagine why they do not have French press on Mariner, Voyager or Navigator.  It seems that Regent has put some things that are special - only on Explorer (and Splendor) but French press should be easy enough to have on all of the ships (if they have storage for them ....... Navigator may not have enough space to store them and Voyager's Coffee Connection is pretty tiny as well.

Really enjoying this thread!  

Yes it was great at the port--never saw anything like that before.  And I agree French Press would be so easy.

The SS Mariner is really looking good, clean and kept up; I don’t think anybody can say it’s not.  The suite itself is nice and has everything we would need.  They could added a few more draws, a good place would be when you walk into the closet you have a big open space about 5 feet by 2 ½ feet.  Perfect place for pullout draws.  For some reason the TV in the living room seems to be smaller than on the last time we were on the ship (maybe I’m mistaken) but it’s big enough anyway.

All the staff is friendly with a smile, it truly is a pleasure being on the ship. 

The main lobby is full of the cherry blossoms branches display around the stairwell, as if we’re still in Japan.   Let’s hope they don’t put snow all around when we hit Alaska as everyday gets colder as we go. 

Dinner last night was at Sette Mari, we went a little early and the place was empty.  The room filled up with guest(s)  in about an hour.  The buffet starter area done nicely and very good, the soup a little salty to our taste (it was a white bean soup with little whole beans) but was good.  For my main course Cioppino which was very good (I only had a half portion, so when you see the photo you’ll know why it’s so small).  Ron had Lasagna which was lukewarm at best.  They replaced it with another one that was also lukewarm, you could see the cheese inside really hadn’t melted yet.  Sometimes things don’t work out and this was one of them.  To end on a good note our server Jackson and Gennaro were excellent, couldn’t have been better.

For desserts, this was odd-they cut all the small tarts in half, let’s hope this isn’t a cut back (LOL).

No show last night.  But tonight is Tuxedo and we’ll be going, and for dinner we’ll be doing Compass Rose.

Cherry Blossoms.jpg

sette Mari plate.jpg

bread .jpg

Assorted Apps.jpg

Meatball Tart.jpg

White Bean Soup.jpg

Cioppino.jpg

Lasagna .jpg

Small desserts.jpg

Loving everything that you ate in Sette Mari.  It is a lovely dining venue with way too much food (acknowledging that eating too much in Sette Mari is not Regent's fault - it is mine).

Weren't the tarts on the dessert buffet?  Maybe they are cut in half because people were so full that they didn't finish them.  Assuming that you could take more than one of them?!

I am a big fan of Sette Mari’s cioppino but it is always way too big (said by a man who can almost eat his own weight in Italian food). Thanks for the tip about asking for a half portion.  

BTW, on our last Regent cruise, there was a small dresser with drawers added to our closet. You may want to ask to have one brought in. 

You are doing a great job with this thread and loving all the pics. Plus, kudos to all for making it a collaborative effort. 

When you have your CC meet and mingle, please give TNR and 1teach53 hugs from us. 

Z and TB

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

They could added a few more draws, a good place would be when you walk into the closet you have a big open space about 5 feet by 2 ½ feet.  Perfect place for pullout draws. 

1 hour ago, Zqueeze1 said:

BTW, on our last Regent cruise, there was a small dresser with drawers added to our closet. You may want to ask to have one brought in.

I'm assuming that you're both talking about a standard deluxe suite?  I'd love details about how space could be used.  I know these cabins are small, but if there's room for even folding cloth drawers or containers, I'd love to hear.  (Planning for WC 2021.) Maybe some pictures?  Don't worry if you can't, I've got plenty of time to do this planning, after all.

I'm fairly certain that Rick and Ron are in one of the top suites. Lack of drawer space on Mariner is not limited to lower category suites. The Mariner Grand suites had a surprising lack of drawers. We could have used a small dresser.

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Loving everything that you ate in Sette Mari.  It is a lovely dining venue with way too much food (acknowledging that eating too much in Sette Mari is not Regent's fault - it is mine).

Weren't the tarts on the dessert buffet?  Maybe they are cut in half because people were so full that they didn't finish them.  Assuming that you could take more than one of them?!

I was making a joke---I think they were thinking try more than one.

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm assuming that you're both talking about a standard deluxe suite?  I'd love details about how space could be used.  I know these cabins are small, but if there's room for even folding cloth drawers or containers, I'd love to hear.  (Planning for WC 2021.) Maybe some pictures?  Don't worry if you can't, I've got plenty of time to do this planning, after all.

No, were in the Grand Suite, they could use more draws and they have the space.  We're OK with space but we only bring two suitcases.  Some people have a lot more case's.

4 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I am a big fan of Sette Mari’s cioppino but it is always way too big (said by a man who can almost eat his own weight in Italian food). Thanks for the tip about asking for a half portion.  

You are doing a great job with this thread and loving all the pics. Plus, kudos to all for making it a collaborative effort. 

When you have your CC meet and mingle, please give TNR and 1teach53 hugs from us. 

Z and TB

Will do, it's May 1.  I know you've said you like the pizzas, they are good-had a slice today at lunch.

9 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

i am attempting to attach pics but the WiFi isn’t cooperating, maybe later. 

Karen 

Yesterday the Mariner received its previously announced internet upgrade, with the 40% bandwidth improvement. It is still a work in progress.  There are “configuration  issues” that are being addressed. 

When it is running, it is noticeably better.  But there are times it barely works. Overall, we are optimistic that the remainder of the cruise will have improved internet.  It isn’t like broadband at home, but it is a step in the right direction. 

Edited by Anchorbuoy

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

No, were in the Grand Suite, they could use more draws and they have the space.  We're OK with space but we only bring two suitcases.  Some people have a lot more case's.

Ah, lucky you!   I've heard there's less drawer space in most suite classes now.

Today started with breakfast in the suite, just coffee and fresh fruit.  Then a stop at the coffee Connection, they really keep the food area fresh and full through out the day.  The coffee person in the morning is really good, always a good morning with a smile.  When he makes a cappuccino you’ll always get some kind of design on the top.  It’s a nice place to stop anytime during the day for a chat and relax for a while.

We took the shuttle bus service thinking we were going to the city center from the port, but it turned out not to be the city center.  We were taken to a big discount mall, now if we were at home that would be OK as we do shop at them.  It was kind of funny because our big discount mall outside of Palm Springs is full of Japanese tourist shopping and here we are in Japan at the mall.

Now what’s up with having these super big Ferris Wheels in every city, did we missed an investment opportunity.

Just relaxed the rest of the day and had lunch with friends at La Veranda which was very good as you’ll see in the photos.  Service has been really top notch throughout the ship since we’ve been on board.

Dinner in Compass Rose was good, nothing spectacular but good.  Photos you’ll see below.  Service was again very good. 

Now about the show Tuxedo, we didn’t make it!  So what can I say except we did make an effort to go but it just wasn’t in the stars.

The sea has been really been smooth since we started in Tokyo and we’re on the 11th deck in the front of the ship.  Very nice cruise so far as the ocean is concerned, just getting colder as we go.

coffee #1.jpg

coffee #2.jpg

Coffee #3.jpg

Coffee #4.jpg

outlet mall.jpg

ferris wheel.jpg

Lunch.jpg

Lunch 1.jpg

Lunch 2.jpg

We were so fortunate to finally see the cherry blossoms in bloom yesterday.  I apologize that I haven’t yet figured out how to post the pictures.  But it was truly magical to be standing under dozens of trees being blanketed in pink.  Something I will never forget.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tnr said:

We were so fortunate to finally see the cherry blossoms in bloom yesterday.  I apologize that I haven’t yet figured out how to post the pictures.  But it was truly magical to be standing under dozens of trees being blanketed in pink.  Something I will never forget.

It's really easy, just send the photos to your computer , open them and drag to the area as it tells you.