PART#2 CRUISING IN THE SS MARINER FROM TOKYO TO VANCOUVER

Very glad to hear things are improving for you in the suite. Enjoying your posts and photographs. Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Like the sound of the banana desert, but I would have to make a big decision between that and the popcorn sundae 😉.    Jean. 

Also interested in the heating issue as you likely have cold days ahead of you.

When we took that cruise (reverse direction and on Silver Whisper), one reason we took it was to do the rough Bering Sea (we must have been slightly crazy to want that).  However, the seas were not that bad and the ship handled it well.  Can't wait to hear what the Bering Sea has in store for Mariner - the most stable ship in the fleet.

ronrick1943, enjoying your pictures and reports.  Sorry to hear about the temp issue in your suite, and hoping they've got it corrected for you now.  We had a temperature issue on Mariner as well, except our PH was too hot.  We were sailing in the Amazon, so understandably it was very hot outside.  However, we still felt they should have been able to adjust the temp to make our suite more comfortable.  After several repair attempts, we finally just gave up and kept the drapes closed during the day.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the onboard experience.  

We have skipped the port of Petropavlovsk as others have mentioned due to weather and we are proceeding north expecting to turn east at some point. See our position on the map screenshot. We are running ahead of a low pressure cell it is likely to catch us when we turn east. This means we have 6 sea days from our last port to Dutch Harbor. We are currently at 37 degrees and 35 mile winds so not pleasant on balconies. Weather is expected to improve according to  Captain Ubaldo’s noon forecast. There are games and lectures as well as bridge instruction on board (Jerry and Marion Fleming) to pass the time at sea. Hugh Neighbor and Karen Dodd have been excellent lecturers. Someone wanted to know about closets and I have included a photo for Veranda suite (G). 6 drawers,  3 shelves (including safe shelf) and a shoe shelf. Hope that helps. Pictures are horizontal since I can’t upload verticals. 

FB64B241-11EF-4E5E-9740-833FA12E9C4B.jpeg

6BFFC33A-671B-42D1-822E-0EB483F18544.jpeg

Well here we are and it’s May 3rd and if you remember I said I liked sea days—I do but we’ll be a sea for 6 days, not sure about that many days at one time. 

I think not being able to use your suite like one wants does make a different, we’ve had so many workers trying to fix the heating system in the suite.

It is a “little” warmer today but it depends on where you are in the suite.  It’s not as cold, but it’s still cold and we had to use the extra heavy blankets last night to stay warm.  It’s between very cold and little comfortable depending on what part of the suite you’re in.  However, if you’re at the desk area like now, very comfortable.

So that’s the update for right now. We are having dinner tonight at Prime 7 so we’ll take some photos for sure.

Being that you can’t go outside, it’s closed due to weather-rain or cold and very windy.  Inside the ship it  very busy, lots of people all over.  The Coffee Connection was really busy, people all the way down the halls.  However Regent is doing a great job.  They even put out a sandwich & soup bar in the hall area.  With the weather like it is what a great idea, very smart Regent.

Still having a great time on the ship, but I think I’ll enjoy getting on land for a few hours.  We cross the International Date Line on Saturday so we get another day—the crew calls it Saturday A and Saturday B.

That’s it for now, write more after dinner.  Hope everyone is having a great time as we are!

One last thing, I love La Veranda for lunch, great food, great service-what else would you ask for at lunch time.  Even so many days at sea the greens for the salad are as fresh as you’d want.  Nice set-up.

Oh, one last thing one would think with all the sea days Ron would be caught up on his writing, however between lunch and naps he hasn’t had any time.  Go figure!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Also interested in the heating issue as you likely have cold days ahead of you.

When we took that cruise (reverse direction and on Silver Whisper), one reason we took it was to do the rough Bering Sea (we must have been slightly crazy to want that).  However, the seas were not that bad and the ship handled it well.  Can't wait to hear what the Bering Sea has in store for Mariner - the most stable ship in the fleet.

They keep telling us bad weather ahead, high seas but it's not that bad at all.

10 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

ronrick1943, enjoying your pictures and reports.  Sorry to hear about the temp issue in your suite, and hoping they've got it corrected for you now.  We had a temperature issue on Mariner as well, except our PH was too hot.  We were sailing in the Amazon, so understandably it was very hot outside.  However, we still felt they should have been able to adjust the temp to make our suite more comfortable.  After several repair attempts, we finally just gave up and kept the drapes closed during the day.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the onboard experience.  

It's getting better and the on board experience is super good, can't say a bad thing about the crew, service and about 98% of the food is great.

• Like 1

Just got back to the suite and we are getting warmer inside our suite.  Smooth sailing, but it really is cold outside and outside decks are closed this evening.

We had drinks with a couple from our CC's, enjoyable time spend with them.

Dinner tonight was in Prime 7 again, I can really some it up in one word.  “Spectacular”, but why use only one word.  Ron started with an Ice Berg Salad, while I had the Seafood Chowder.  We both had the Bone in Rib Eye Steak, cooked to perfection.  You couldn’t have gone to a land side restaurant and had a better steak.  Our side was truffle Fry’s.  For dessert Ron had the outstanding Banana Cream Pie, I wanted to try the Ice Cream Sundae-it was really good.   The Banana Cream pie is at the top of the our list to have on this ship.

We didn’t go to the show tonight, what’s new about that.  And believe it or not we got our Disembarkation Questionnaire forms tonight.  We still have a lot of nights to go; we don’t get off till May 16th.  With that well close for the night, Ron can get a good night’s sleep and just maybe work on his book in the morning.  I’m guessing that is only a dream, I’m sure he’ll have a long lunch plan followed by a nap.  Well so much for getting this book done on this cruise.  Just maybe that’s just an excuse to book another cruise to continue the book. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

They keep telling us bad weather ahead, high seas but it's not that bad at all.

Glad that it is not bad (unless you are looking for rough seas like my DH was).  Hoping that the seas remain calm and the weather warms up a bit.

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

LOVE those "before and after" photos of the steak!  How clever.     Let's hope the suite stays warmer...

And it was really good, if I wasn't at the Prime 7 table I would have picked up the bone.  But you have to show a little class when eating.😋

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Glad that it is not bad (unless you are looking for rough seas like my DH was).  Hoping that the seas remain calm and the weather warms up a bit.

It's getting better and they are saying blue sky's ahead.  The sea is really calm and we are on the 11th floor and it's all good and smooth sailing.  They said we had a little rough sea but it was find with me.

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

With that well close for the night, Ron can get a good night’s sleep and just maybe work on his book in the morning.  I’m guessing that is only a dream, I’m sure he’ll have a long lunch plan followed by a nap.  Well so much for getting this book done on this cruise.  Just maybe that’s just an excuse to book another cruise to continue the book. 

Perhaps if Ron receives some pre-orders, he will be more motivated to finish the book!  Where do I sign up?😁

Seriously I just love the fact that you and Ron are able to maintain such a fabulous attitude and are able to so appreciate your experience despite the issues in your suite.  Keep enjoying!

Bob

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

Perhaps if Ron receives some pre-orders, he will be more motivated to finish the book!  Where do I sign up?😁

Seriously I just love the fact that you and Ron are able to maintain such a fabulous attitude and are able to so appreciate your experience despite the issues in your suite.  Keep enjoying!

Bob

Pre-sells will be taken but must be send in unmarked bills🤑 to our off shore bankers address.

SPECIAL NOTE: The wind just blew our patio door off track, sounds like the ocean is in our room. In fact you can’t even lock the door.  Their working on it!

Well lunch was great again in La Veranda, they just do it right.  We met the head waiter today Mr. Tomaza, he was on our last cruise.  Really nice person, plus if you watch he really does his job making sure everybody is happy while in the dining room he’s working.  You can see it’s a team effort as everyone seems to want to make sure you’re having a great time.

We met some more CC’s and had coffee with them, enjoyable hour talking.  Of course coffee from the Coffee Connections—we sat just outside the Café, put it didn’t matter service from the staff was great as if you’re sitting inside the Café.

We got a weather report from home today as we’ve been telling them what lousy, rainy weather we’ve been having here on the ocean.  Wanted to share it with you, and you’ll understand why we may need to be more careful in selecting our friends.

Tonight dinner will be in Compass Rose, we’ll fill you in later with a few photos.

Weather at Home.jpg

OMG 😲!!! Can’t believe your door blew off the track!!! Hope it’s repaired soon. 

The swell has certainly picked up within the last 3 hours.  

Sure hope we can dock in Dutch in two more days.  At that point we will have been 6!!! Days at sea! Some crew have said they have never been at sea 6 consecutive days.  It sure is the first time for us. 

Karen 

Door is fixed, we have a new door that to ope you push on the glass then pull back.  To close you have to pull in then close.  Even one of the Butlers couldn't get it to lock.  We were told maybe we're not strong enough!!!!!!!!!

LOL on that.🙄

46 minutes ago, 1teach53 said:

OMG 😲!!! Can’t believe your door blew off the track!!! Hope it’s repaired soon. 

The swell has certainly picked up within the last 3 hours.  

Sure hope we can dock in Dutch in two more days.  At that point we will have been 6!!! Days at sea! Some crew have said they have never been at sea 6 consecutive days.  It sure is the first time for us. 

Karen 

Well we have to get fuel someplace soon I would think.  Nice seeing you at lunch today.

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Well we have to get fuel someplace soon I would think.  Nice seeing you at lunch today.

I am sure the Mariner has enough oars somewhere so that you could all row the boat!!

Pre-sells of Ron’s Book aren’t doing so well, of course he has to write something first.  Ron said he can’t start Chapter One yet because he’s got a Pilates class and lunch after the class.  So he got our Butler too teach him how to fold those napkins, the fancy ones.  Well the Butler brought in a stack of napkins so Ron could practice on---so I was thinking why not sell ($) them back to Regent since the book deal isn’t doing so well at this time.  Just an idea for now.

Napkins.jpg

• Haha 1