Wine

Ombud

3 upcoming cruises:

1. CP - FLL to Quebec in July

2. Golden - Melbourne to Auckland in Nov

3. Grand - PNW next March 

1 had planned on taking 3 bottles on board (Pino Grecio, Chardonnay, Tawny Port) but Thrak states Port may not be allowed. Is Muscato allowed? Want 1 dessert wine

No vineyards to visit when on CP, will visit 1 or 2 in Victoria, live outside SF so although I don't consume a lot.... I'm picky

Edited by Ombud

Be careful trying to take wine from the us to foreign countries as the duties are generally not worth it. Was going to bring a case to southampton but warned by a friend not to. Canada is especially bad. Not sure where you are leaving from and dont know what pnw is. 

PNW = Pacific Northwest from SF

Limited duty free allowance:

- Singapore 2L wine / see combo chart

- Australia 2.25L

- UK - 1L

- EU - 90L (20L fortified)

- Canada- 1.5L

I'll not be taking any off ship & (probably) might run out. 

Canada allows a certain amount to be brought into the country duty-free. After you reach the allowance they will tax you. It's based on the amount of alcohol so it's a bunch of beer, less wine, and less whiskey. The allotments are available online. We camped through Alberta, BC, and Yukon and took a fair amount of beer across the border with no charge. Once you exceed the limit the tax is pretty steep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

PNW = Pacific Northwest from SF

Limited duty free allowance:

- Singapore 2L wine / see combo chart

- Australia 2.25L

- UK - 1L

- EU - 90L (20L fortified)

- Canada- 1.5L

I'll not be taking any off ship & (probably) might run out. 

We have found on most occasions, the "guys" at the check in table just want to make sure you are bringing on wine or champagne and not "booze".  They barely look at the bottle.  So if your port has a regular top with a cork, I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue?  It really is a type of wine, isn't it?  Haven't tried it but we usually just bring on a few bottle of bubbly!

• Like 1

Muscato doesn't have any more alcohol than any other wine & it's perfectly OK.

For some reason they've NEVER asked me to go to the check in table.

Maybe since we always board early & most time they're not even set up yet.

Thanks. I know I'm owing corkage on 2 (solos pay 2×) & by the time I factor that in I'm not really saving much but everyone in my family got hooked on the muscato

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Thanks. I know I'm owing corkage on 2 (solos pay 2×) & by the time I factor that in I'm not really saving much but everyone in my family got hooked on the muscato

I believe solos can only bring on one bottle without corkage, since it is One bottle per passenger not per cabin.

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Port is not allowed because it is a "fortified" wind and higher than normal (for wine) alcohol amount

Where in the published information from Princess do you find the cutoff between permitted ABV% and impermissible ABV%?  While it is true that Port is fortified wine, it is, at its core, WINE.  While I have never included a bottle of Port in my carry-on allotment, I don’t think I have ever encountered a crew member at the wine table who I perceived to be astute enough to draw the distinction between a Port with 20% ABV and an Australian Shiraz clocking in at 18%. In general, the gap between fortified wines and many New World table reds is shrinking.  And I’ve yet to see anything from Princess that sets a limit suggesting that 18% is OK but 20% is not. Neither is an 80 proof spirit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Muscato doesn't have any more alcohol than any other wine & it's perfectly OK.

For some reason they've NEVER asked me to go to the check in table.

Maybe since we always board early & most time they're not even set up yet.

We made it to the table and the guy did not even care. lol Just said okay! We were in Los Angeles, wine was in our bags and the XR screener said don't forget to sign those bottles in... walked over and they waved us on. lol

• Like 1

I don't think the OP was writing about or intending to take wine into Canada or another country - it was taking wine on board for the cruise.  No country the ships stop at has any idea what or how much wine is in your cabin, nor do they care or have any business knowing.  Also, NP bringing something back on board from a vineyard or shop while on a port stop.

Also, I am one who hates mistakes - especially if I make one.  So, the "CP" is not the Caribbean Princess (try "CB").  And it's Pinot Grigio, not the unfortunate attempt made by the OP.

5 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

We made it to the table and the guy did not even care. lol Just said okay! We were in Los Angeles, wine was in our bags and the XR screener said don't forget to sign those bottles in... walked over and they waved us on. lol

Once again, I can't understand why we've never been asked to stop at that check in table. It seems that that completely over look us when going through the line. 

I was once asked if I was with the person behind us and when I said no, we just keep on moving with nothing being said. 

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

While it is true that Port is fortified wine, it is, at its core, WINE. 

... and Bloody Mary's at its core is Tomato Juice. So, by your logic, I could bring a case of Bloody Mary's (fortified with vodka) on the ship. Wine can get up to 18% ABV naturally. It is an easy bright line to draw - if you do anything to the wine, it is not "wine" for purposes of taking on board. Grappa is just wine with most of the wine stuff removed, and gets up to 60% ABV. Should people be allowed to bring on Grappa?

BTW: Whisky is just Beer with most of the beer stuff removed. Maybe that is why you can't bring beer on board ...

6 hours ago, richmke said:

and Bloody Mary's at its core is Tomato Juice. So, by your logic, I could bring a case of Bloody Mary's (fortified with vodka) on the ship.

No.  By my logic you cannot bring a case of Bloody Mary's onto the ship because the rules do not allow taking on any alcoholic beverage other than wine.  Vodka isn't wine.  Port is.  And if Grappa came in bottles shaped like traditional wine bottles, (and its clear color was disguised), it probably would pass undetected by the people at the wine table.  I doubt too many of them know what Grappa is, but the odd shaped bottles would surely give them pause.   

7 hours ago, richmke said:

... and Bloody Mary's at its core is Tomato Juice. So, by your logic, I could bring a case of Bloody Mary's (fortified with vodka) on the ship. Wine can get up to 18% ABV naturally. It is an easy bright line to draw - if you do anything to the wine, it is not "wine" for purposes of taking on board. Grappa is just wine with most of the wine stuff removed, and gets up to 60% ABV. Should people be allowed to bring on Grappa?

BTW: Whisky is just Beer with most of the beer stuff removed. Maybe that is why you can't bring beer on board ...

You could bring on Bloody Mary mix, I bet. 

14 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Also, I am one who hates mistakes - especially if I make one.  So, the "CP" is not the Caribbean Princess (try "CB").  And it's Pinot Grigio, not the unfortunate attempt made by the OP.

Once again, I apologize for irritating you so will put you on ignore ..... suggest you do the same for me to lessen your irritation 

Still view CP as Caribbean Princess. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Once again, I apologize for irritating you so will put you on ignore ..... suggest you do the same for me to lessen your irritation 

so how do you view Regal Princess and Royal Princess ?  j/s

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Sorry - didn't mean to offend.  I guess it is best to avoid correcting things.  It might have been better if I had have worded my post with "Sometimes I just cannot resist posting a correction".  It's just in me and nothing personal intended.

I don't know of a fleet list, but if you go to this page - https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ - on Princess' website and then hover over each ship name, you can find out the two-character ship code in the URL that shows up. 

Some ships do not have "logical" shortforms because the code is already in use.  For example. "CP" is the Sea Princess and "CB" is the Caribbean Princess.  Some are as you might expect - for example, "EP" is the Emerald Princess.  Now a second ship beginning with "E" is announced and the Enchanted will be "EX".

one thing I would add..... on our next cruise will be taking a bottle or two of port on board...

I will pick one which looks like a bottle of red...

As one enjoy a small port after dinner in our cabin

as the cost of glass of port on board is more than cost of a bottle.....

It they take it..... in the big picture it is only the cost of a small glass of port....

Cheers Don

• Like 1

Great idea!! I'll see if I can find Grahams or Sandemans in an acceptable size if I lose it. I like Whiskers Blake but it does not look like a wine bottle

Edited by Ombud