Princess cruise "hacks"

consmarci

3 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

I assume we either had bored security people or very lax liquor policy on our Grand Cruise last month. DH bought a bottle of Tequila in Ensenada and was not questioned about it  upon return to ship. Same scenario last year on the Crown, bought some Lemoncello in Sorrento, no questions asked after bags went through scanner. 

Quite often they simply don't care about anything purchased in Ensenada as the ship is returning to it's disembarkation port when it leaves Ensenada.

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

But, if you bring it to the dining room, you will pay the corkage fee.

I never tried to bring a whole bottle with us.

We avoid paying the corkage charge by just getting a couple of large water glasses & use those to bring a glass each to the DR or buffet in the evening. The large water glasses hold about 1 1/2 the amount of a typical wine glass full & is more than sufficient. 

• Like 3

Been wondering but too timid to ask... until now...  I have read many comments about how frustrating it is that there are not hand-held shower heads on some Princess ships...  (We have a Balcony cabin on Grand Princess in December)  Has anyone ever requested a hand held shower head in advance of a cruise?  I know they have them in Accessible cabins so wonder if they carry a supply they could resource.  Has anyone ever brought their own?  https://www.lowes.com/pd/danco-versa-spray-white-1-spray-handheld-shower/3435526?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-208-_-faucetrepair-_-3435526-_-0&kpid&store_code=1785&k_clickID=go_1793722707_69617672392_346785651483_pla-378238830212_c_9033248&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOcYLAPFz_WvZitQ55UYfb2VMq_10ykR2fA6NaaR5nE-kPd-XsHLHwBoCJb4QAvD_BwE

Thank you!

2 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Been wondering but too timid to ask... until now...  I have read many comments about how frustrating it is that there are not hand-held shower heads on some Princess ships...  (We have a Balcony cabin on Grand Princess in December)  Has anyone ever requested a hand held shower head in advance of a cruise?  I know they have them in Accessible cabins so wonder if they carry a supply they could resource.  Has anyone ever brought their own?  https://www.lowes.com/pd/danco-versa-spray-white-1-spray-handheld-shower/3435526?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-208-_-faucetrepair-_-3435526-_-0&kpid&store_code=1785&k_clickID=go_1793722707_69617672392_346785651483_pla-378238830212_c_9033248&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOcYLAPFz_WvZitQ55UYfb2VMq_10ykR2fA6NaaR5nE-kPd-XsHLHwBoCJb4QAvD_BwE

Thank you!

That may well slip on your tub spout but unless you have a mini suite or higher there is no tub...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Thank you!

I brought one once but it would not fit over the tub faucet.  😞

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Go get a huge glass from Vines

They prevent people from leaving the area with them, but if you do manage to get one hold onto it for the whole cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

That may well slip on your tub spout but unless you have a mini suite or higher there is no tub...

Oh I would take off the existing shower head ...  extreme, I know...  and I certainly wouldn't let it ruin my cruise but this would be the first time with Princess and have always had one on our other cruises...  I am just too excited I think!  Ha!  I am over-thinking everything!  🤣

18 hours ago, Jezabel2924 said:

I brought one once but it would not fit over the tub faucet.  😞

Oh!  Well now I don't feel so silly for thinking about it!  Too bad it didn't work but thank you for trying!  and thank you for letting me know!😉

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They prevent people from leaving the area with them, but if you do manage to get one hold onto it for the whole cruise.

They use really nice glasses in Vines but they will give you one of a lesser quality if you ask.

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

They use really nice glasses in Vines but they will give you one of a lesser quality if you ask.

The ones they give you to-go are the same ones you can get at any of the bars. 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, CruzinNoony said:

Anyway, I have been ordering cranberry juice on the room service menu for years along with my coffee.  I order 4 at a time and using my little funnel, pour them into a water bottle and use them in the evening for a mixer for my (elite mini bar set-up) vodka.

Thanks. Definitely sending this tip to my wife. (Yes, I email her stuff so I don't forget...) She likes "real" beer (ie: not Bud or Coors or other "not" beer) but also likes a bit of cranberry juice in it in the evening. Our upcoming cruise is 8 days on land and then 7 days southbound from Alaska. We have free gratuities, free specialty dining, 2 completely blank coffee cards (yes, I know they expire at the end of August), and $550 OBC for the 7 day cruise so, since they recently added some acceptable beer (Lagunitas),  I expect she can buy good beer to take back to the cabin for when she wants it. 🍺 (They also gave us $50 each "land credit" which we have never had before.)

This was a weird promo that only showed up at the end of the booking. There was no "banner" on the cruise listing. I only found it because someone here on CC told me to look. This site has truly been a great find for me. I found it after our first cruise and have learned so many helpful things here.

• Like 3

The best "hack" I've found in the Horizon Court when the breakfast bacon is all whimpy & floppy ... to ASK for "crispy bacon".  Either they cook some special for me OR, more often, there is crisp bacon hidden underneath just waiting to be handed out..

Been wondering but too timid to ask... until now...  I have read many comments about how frustrating it is that there are not hand-held shower heads on some Princess ships...  (We have a Balcony cabin on Grand Princess in December)  Has anyone ever requested a hand held shower head in advance of a cruise?  I know they have them in Accessible cabins so wonder if they carry a supply they could resource.  Has anyone ever brought their own?  

A friend of mine works in the department, that buys all this stuff for cruise ships. So he's got some of this stuff for himself, and long story short, but every technician appliance, that they buy for ships - they buy it like for their houses. I mean quality standards.

Straw hack. 

When you are told by every bar on the ship that you can not have a straw when in Yakutat Bay. Just head to customer service and ask for a complementary straw......I mean complementary pen. Pull out the guts and enjoy. 20190520_094515.thumb.jpg.0c38a5ce2db45373b51244501e16c02b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know if this qualifies as a 'hack'...but I do this ALL the time on Princess AND Carnival.  I really like grilled chicken salads...but have to create my own on the ships.  I go to the grill and get a grilled chicken breast...stop and cut it up so it can cool before proceeding (Hot chicken will make the lettuce wilt)  Then head to the buffet (it's usually right next door on most ships) and get my salad.  Put the chicken on top for my favorite "Try not to gain 20 lbs on a cruise" lunch.  🙂

The other thing we do all the time is with that juice everyone is talking about...but slightly different.  I get the glass of this divine nectar at breakfast and take it to the room fridge for safe keeping. 🙂 Later in the afternoon, we get the vanilla soft serve ice cream.  On Carnival it's self-serve so you can get a tall glass from the buffet to put it in.  On Princess, you have to get a cup and transfer it...not hard, but does require an extra step.  Then return to the room for that juice (or just bring it with us)  and mix a little juice with the ice cream (forks work really great for this)...and VOILA - guava milkshake!  🙂  We LOVE this juice...and love the milkshakes it creates even more.  We will lament on the  afternoons if we forget to get the juice in the morning.

Edited by rgmacm
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, masterty said:

Straw hack. 

When you are told by every bar on the ship that you can not have a straw when in Yakutat Bay. Just head to customer service and ask for a complementary straw......I mean complementary pen. Pull out the guts and enjoy. 20190520_094515.thumb.jpg.0c38a5ce2db45373b51244501e16c02b.jpg

Nice idea!! I love it 👍

The Captain of The Rowboat 

Tony

On 5/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, Ombud said:

If you have REFUNDABLE OBC left over it will be handled 1 of 2 ways:

1. A check in a plain envelope in 3-8 weeks

2. If $25 or less the PSD can return cash to you on the final day

Last week we received our OBC of about $90 in the mail. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Belle said:

Straw...,Bring your own from home.

Always have a couple of dozen with me. To date, I haven’t needed any of them. But they are there if I need them!