Princess cruise "hacks"

consmarci

On 5/6/2019 at 6:53 AM, MissP22 said:

Or for that matter, carry on additional bottles of wine at every port without paying any corkage fee. 😉

I'm confused by this, Princess clearly states one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each

Yes, you can bring additional bottles at every port, but unless you can hide them from security, they will happily store them for you until the last day of the cruise when you will get them back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I'm confused by this, Princess clearly states one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each

Yes, you can bring additional bottles at every port, but unless you can hide them from security, they will happily store them for you until the last day of the cruise when you will get them back.

The policy is loosely enforced, depending in the ship.  I did a 49 night around the Horn cruise several years ago and I clanked back on board with a couple of bottles of wine in my back pack.  The closest bodega to the port was always crowded with ship passengers buying wine.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

As many people know the enforcement at distant ports is very loosely enforced & most people just walk on board with their purchases.

If you prefer they will store your purchases for you until the last day but I've always found that it's better stored in my cabin. 😉

Another hack we used succesfully on the round the horn, it was actually three cruises even though we book it as one cruise. I ordered some scotch on the first leg and it was delivered to my cabin on the last night of the first leg.  Did the same thing on the second leg.  We've also been successful doing that on back to backs as well.

52 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Another hack we used succesfully on the round the horn, it was actually three cruises even though we book it as one cruise. I ordered some scotch on the first leg and it was delivered to my cabin on the last night of the first leg.  Did the same thing on the second leg.  We've also been successful doing that on back to backs as well.

It all depends on which ship your on. Some hold it until the last day of the cruise in which case you should have an Elite friend who is disembarking before you make the purchase & give them the cash. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

If you have REFUNDABLE OBC left over it will be handled 1 of 2 ways:

1. A check in a plain envelope in 3-8 weeks

2. If $25 or less the PSD can return cash to you on the final day

Others may have found other methods but those are the 2 posted by Princess. Which sometimes explains long lines there. Try it the morning of the last day for a shorter line or just don't toss the nondescript envelope when it gets to you.

ADDED: Charges are posted against nonrefundable OBC before refundable OBC

Edited by Ombud

16 hours ago, polmcs said:

One can never have too much bacon! 😉

Princess doesn't do bacon well. Not well at all. If you want to know what a real "bacon breakfast" looks like here is a pic of what I call "the best camping breakfast ever". (It really should be in a camping setting!) Note that the bacon isn't that wimpy Princess stuff.

image.jpeg.fbd223b68934382713408bc663efd62f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess doesn't do bacon well. Not well at all. If you want to know what a real "bacon breakfast" looks like here is a pic of what I call "the best camping breakfast ever". (It really should be in a camping setting!) Note that the bacon isn't that wimpy Princess stuff.

Princess 'bacon' MUST be ordered as crispy or extra crispy - otherwise it's terrible mostly

52 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That photo reminds me of a lunch I had at a restaurant on a pier in Newport Rhode Island.  They served a fantastic Bloody Mary with a properly cooked thick strip of bacon as a garnishment.  Much better than celery or pickled asparagus.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

If you have REFUNDABLE OBC left over it will be handled 1 of 2 ways:

1. A check in a plain envelope in 3-8 weeks

2. If $25 or less the PSD can return cash to you on the final day

Others may have found other methods but those are the 2 posted by Princess. Which sometimes explains long lines there. Try it the morning of the last day for a shorter line or just don't toss the nondescript envelope when it gets to you.

ADDED: Charges are posted against nonrefundable OBC before refundable OBC

It's not a plain "junk mail" looking envelope anymore. It actually shows Princess in the return address.

Guess they got tired of all the complaints that "I never got my check" (because they didn't recognize it as real mail and tossed it in the round file).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The policy is loosely enforced, depending in the ship.  I did a 49 night around the Horn cruise several years ago and I clanked back on board with a couple of bottles of wine in my back pack.  The closest bodega to the port was always crowded with ship passengers buying wine.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As many people know the enforcement at distant ports is very loosely enforced & most people just walk on board with their purchases.

If you prefer they will store your purchases for you until the last day but I've always found that it's better stored in my cabin. 😉

There is really no need to hide anything from security, because all bags are scanned when re-boarding the ship.  They don't really care about one or two bottles of wine.  We have never brought liquor back, so they may be more careful about directing people to the bored crew member at the liquor table.  In theory, liquor should be taken and tagged for last night of the cruise.

As for wine, it really doesn't matter much, because if you take that wine to a DR or elsewhere, it is subject to a corkage fee.  I don't hide anything, but also don't go out of my way to shove any wine we might pick up on shore into their hands.  For us, it's going to be mostly drunk with dinner. 

Wine doesn't have to be kept until end of cruise.  You can keep it.  But I suppose they will keep it for you if you asked them to.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We have bought back one bottle each at some ports with no problems.

If you bring any other alcohol it will be held to end of cruise 

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for this one.  Our 56 night next year shows on our Captain Circle as 3 cruises. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kate59 said:

Hi Aussie Bossy Boots (love the name)

The Sea Princess is an older ship but it is nicely set out and New Guinea is good - we did 2 cruises in a row to there. Kiriwina and Katava are nice and the locals are very friendly - take lots of $5 and $10 notes. If you get approached by locals to change any currency - please try to help them, it has always helped to get Aussie money back if we still had local currency left over but they will work in Aussie $. Just know the exchange rate.

Have a great trip.

Thanks Kate59 for your tips.  Will take lots of Auzzie small notes.  We are boarding in Brisbane so will visit a BWS or similar to buy a few bottles of wine.  Not big drinkers, but a glass on the balcony will be great. 

We are keen snorkelers so if you have any tips on the best excursions please let me know.  We also tend to use the ship's excursions, I know they are more expensive, but we really are risk adverse!

PS:  Just read that that there was a major earthquake on the eastern side:classic_ohmy:

On 5/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, Thrak said:

Few restaurants do bacon well, period, in my humble opinion.  It shouldn't be crispy and it shouldn't raw or partially raw.  Now, back to the topic on hand.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, jondfk said:

I think this may qualify as a 'hack'.

I learned the following on our last cruise, was new to me.  Now that the specialty restaurants are bookable from the personalizer, the times of 5:30 & 7:30 are NOT available to be booked on the ship - they are ONLY available online from the personalizer.

These times are rarely fully filled in advance.  So, here's the hack, if you drift by Crown Grill (or Sabatini's) at say 7:20 you'll often find that the Maitre'd will have 7:30 slots available which were available for online booking but not actually claimed.  And ta da, you'll be seated immediately.  

Now, if we all do it, none will be happy, but if we keep it to say just the 30 of us responding to this thread . . . (ha ha ha). 

I consider this a genuine 'hack' in that you get a little something you might not actually be entitled too - but you do so by understanding the rules of the game and using them to your advantage.  A genuine 'hack' yes?

Our experience differs from yours above. We were on the CB in December and reserved a table for 5:30 after boarding, not on Personalizer. Then, last month, were  on the Grand and made a 7:30 reservation, both times for Sabatini’s. Perhaps differs depending on ships. ??

On 5/7/2019 at 6:59 AM, CruiseVA said:

I assume we either had bored security people or very lax liquor policy on our Grand Cruise last month. DH bought a bottle of Tequila in Ensenada and was not questioned about it  upon return to ship. Same scenario last year on the Crown, bought some Lemoncello in Sorrento, no questions asked after bags went through scanner. 

On 5/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, MissP22 said:

We've been doing that for years now. 

I can't understand why everyone doesn't consider it rather than calling room service for mixers.

We get OJ from the buffet and take it to morning trivia where we mix it with the "ship champagne" that we won on a previous day at trivia.  Voila! Free mimosas!

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 8:52 AM, skynight said:

I don't understand your post. If you want to take any drinks back to your cabin you are free to do so. If you want other non-alcoholic beverages for mixers you can bring them on board. No problem, no restrictions. Passengers can carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as they want and can consume them in their cabin, or any place else on board.

The example you gave infers that the poster is bringing on alcoholic beverages to mix their in cabin drinks. Princess does not allow you to bring on alcoholic beverages, except wine. If you do bring it on it is contraband, subject to be confiscated and destroyed. It appears to me that the poster you are quoting is not acting in accordance with the cruise line's policy or "legally" as you state.

OR, they are using the liquor from their mini bar?

• Like 1

Or for that matter, carry on additional bottles of wine at every port without paying any corkage fee. 😉

But, if you bring it to the dining room, you will pay the corkage fee.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, Thrak said:

Our last sailing on the Crown, they had the crispy bacon "in the back" in the buffet.  You just had to ask for it.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:39 PM, kate59 said:

Thanks for this one.  Our 56 night next year shows on our Captain Circle as 3 cruises. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Great idea.  We are going around the Horn next year...32 days.  We booked it as such but it does show it's back to back.  I may order a bottle of vodka for the second leg... and if they don't deliver it until the end, it's no biggie.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, MissP22 said:

I just switch to drinking juice or soda instead of their coffee. 

It probably costs them more in the long run instead of them providing a decent cup of coffee. 

I usually get the coffee card and use it for a latte after dinner in the MDR or in the afternoon.  But if we're doing breakfast in the buffet I just get tea...they can't mess that up.  DH can drink the swill...I mean coffee, in the buffet but I just can't.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, Thrak said:

On the Coral,we used to order our "proper" English bacon at the egg station.Cooked fresh and never on display at the buffet.