Is the Cheer Program Worth It?

gude2

My husband and I are thinking that it might actually be cheaper for us NOT to do the Cheers program.  Over the course of the week we may have a couple drinks a day.  Probably not $50 a day for each of us.  Have any of your found it is worth it if you're not a big drinker?

It's hard to say.  My wife and I are not big drinkers normally either but we found we drink quite a bit more on a cruise than we do at home so it ended up being worth it for us.  Also keep in mind it covers coffee, shakes and bottles of water.

My husband and I  might have two drinks max per day, so it's not worth it for us. Our bar tab is very low at the end of our cruises. Even though the package includes specialty coffee and a few other things, we don't drink that stuff so we still wouldn't drink enough.  Many people do though.  I would add up what you think you will drink in a day and get ahold of the spreadsheet with the prices.  Add it up and see.  I wouldn't include bottled water because you can get the delivered to your room for around $5.  Very cheap.

Edited by TNcruising02

37 minutes ago, gude2 said:

My husband and I are thinking that it might actually be cheaper for us NOT to do the Cheers program.  Over the course of the week we may have a couple drinks a day.  Probably not $50 a day for each of us.  Have any of your found it is worth it if you're not a big drinker?

Someone out here created this great spreadsheet to help you easily answer the question.

However I like to add what I love about Cheers:

With a gift card that I purchased for 10% off from AARP/Allstate/etc, I purchase the 10% off Cheers package online. So my price is already cheaper than $50/day.

I like having it already paid for and not having to worry about a surprise tab at the end of the cruise.

I like being able to order a fresh drink that isn't melted or warm and not feel guilty about it.

I like trying something new and not feeling guility if i didn't like it and bought it.

Carnival Vista Cheers Evaluator 2018-08-02.xls

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From your description, probably not.  In your case, I'd try cruising without Cheers first.  It's a little more expensive to buy it on board, but depending on the length of your cruise, you will have a day or two to decide if it seems you will want to drink more than normal.  But even then, I think I would try a whole cruise without it first.  

1 hour ago, gude2 said:

If you normally spend more than 858 dollars for drinks on a 7 day  cruise then cheers would work for the two of you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

If you normally spend more than 858 dollars for drinks on a 7 day  cruise then cheers would work for the two of you.

Actually,  given the inclusion of coffees, frappes, waters, sodas. 18% tip,  etc, if you usually spend $700 for both of you for all drinks on a 7 day cruise, Cheers may  work out for you as your tipping is extra not automatic and you have an opportunity to try higher quality alcoholic drinks, such as  the Alchemy bar specials, wines in the dining venues, and such.

But $50 for both per day, plus tip won't cut it.  Better off with pre-paid bar cards or cruise cash cards on your S&S account.

This is exactly the reason why we don't get it either.  My husband and I typically drink no more than 3 alcoholic drinks a day (We LOVE Alchemy!) plus I preorder water to be delivered to the cabin.  If you live close to your port, you may consider the option of carrying on a 12 pack of soda per person.  

I  figure the maximum price for a drink and multiply by the amount of days.  We make sure we have that amount available on our s and s, then we are all good.

Even with the addition of specialty coffees etc, it's just not for us.  

If we drank at home like we do on vacation, we wouldn't be able to work. When we go to A.I.'s we drink way too much, but hey, your on vacation. Think of it this way on a cruise, have a mimosa or Bloody Mary in the morning, a beer with lunch, a foo-foo drink on the Lido deck, bring a beer or a wine back to the cabin as you're getting ready for dinner, have another drink with dinner, and you are already ahead of the game and have not been to the Alchemy Bar for a night cap. We also grab waters as we walk by bars and fill our fridge. Or, you could not buy Cheers 😉

• Like 1

It really depends on how much you plan on drinking.  Sounds like for you it would not be worth it.  We have never purchased it before but we are thinking of getting for our upcoming cruise as we will be celebrating our 25th.  I think it also depends on how many sea days and port days you have and if you plan on being in port on excursions, etc for long periods of time. 

We have a 5 day cruise in September coming up and went back and forth on if we should purchase Cheers.  We have 2 port days that are pretty much full days.  Day one depart @ 3pm, Day 2 is a sea day and would be a good day to drink, Day 3 full port day ( 8 hours ), Day 4 full port day ( 8 hours ), Day 5 sea day, good day to drink, and head home @ 830am the next morning.  We just didnt think we would drink 613.00 worth of any combination on the boat in that time.  I think i would look at every cruise and cruiser as a unique situation to make the best decision.

40 minutes ago, Haveuseen1 said:

We have a 5 day cruise in September coming up and went back and forth on if we should purchase Cheers.  We have 2 port days that are pretty much full days.  Day one depart @ 3pm, Day 2 is a sea day and would be a good day to drink, Day 3 full port day ( 8 hours ), Day 4 full port day ( 8 hours ), Day 5 sea day, good day to drink, and head home @ 830am the next morning.  We just didnt think we would drink 613.00 worth of any combination on the boat in that time.  I think i would look at every cruise and cruiser as a unique situation to make the best decision.

Even the "full" 2 port days , most pax are back on the ship and awake for another 7-8 hours. Average 1 drink an hour ( that's not drinking excessively) and most pax are still ahead of the game.

i guess I just don't get the " port day" argument. Heck even on port days I drink Bailey's and Coffee for breakfast (2). DW usually has Mimosas (2)

Edited by beerman2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Even the "full" 2 port days , most pax are back on the ship and awake for another 7-8 hours. Average 1 drink an hour ( that's not drinking excessively) and most pax are still ahead of the game.

i guess I just don't get the " port day" argument. Heck even on port days I drink Bailey's and Coffee for breakfast (2). DW usually has Mimosas (2)

Port days never enter into the equation when I am deciding whether or not to buy Cheers.  My decision is driven by the number of days. The longer the cruise, the more likely I won’t get Cheers. If you are doing one or more excursions that include all you can drink options at port(s) you are visiting, I can see that impacting someone’s decision not to get Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Port days never enter into the equation when I am deciding whether or not to buy Cheers.  My decision is driven by the number of days. The longer the cruise, the more likely I won’t get Cheers. If you are doing one or more excursions that include all you can drink options at port(s) you are visiting, I can see that impacting someone’s decision not to get Cheers.

This is the main reason my wife and I don't do Cheers. We usually like to book at least one (if not two) all-inclusive beachs days. We're doing a short 5-day cruise next month that's going to Costa Maya and Cozumel. On those two days, we're visiting Maya Chan and Nachi Cocom. We will do most of our "heavy drinking" in port those two days. We'll definitely have a few drinks on the ship too, but not nearly enough to justify buying Cheers.

• Like 1

I will say that if I were to use the AARP 10% discount gift cards towards the early purchase of Cheers, knocking another 10% off the 613.00 ( 61.30 ) bringing the price down to 551.70 that does sound much better. That is what keeps me waivering back and forth.  I figure I will be awake on the ship roughly 61 hours.  Which means we need to drink $9.04/hr of assorted beverages to break even at 551.70.  Can I buy cheers with gift cards???

On 5/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, ricew001 said:

Someone out here created this great spreadsheet to help you easily answer the question.

However I like to add what I love about Cheers:

With a gift card that I purchased for 10% off from AARP/Allstate/etc, I purchase the 10% off Cheers package online. So my price is already cheaper than $50/day.

I like having it already paid for and not having to worry about a surprise tab at the end of the cruise.

I like being able to order a fresh drink that isn't melted or warm and not feel guilty about it.

I like trying something new and not feeling guility if i didn't like it and bought it.

Carnival Vista Cheers Evaluator 2018-08-02.xls 91.5 kB · 16 downloads

Thanks for this! 

Do you also get the 10% off with using the CC in addition to the 10% booking online before? I haven't purchased a Cheers program before because we've been fine with drinking the two bottles of wine we bring + sharing pitchers of margaritas + shore drinks. 

Edited by EMOSEA

33 minutes ago, EMOSEA said:

Thanks for this! 

Do you also get the 10% off with using the CC in addition to the 10% booking online before? I haven't purchased a Cheers program before because we've been fine with drinking the two bottles of wine we bring + sharing pitchers of margaritas + shore drinks. 

Yes you do but its actually 8.77% off for the precruise discount. Carnival has trouble with math apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing I like about drinks at AIs is I can throw them out if I don't like them.  If I had paid $8-$12 for that drink, I would probably finish it.  That would be another positive of the Cheers program.

With that being said, I don't buy it.  It just isn't worth it to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haveuseen1 said:

I will say that if I were to use the AARP 10% discount gift cards towards the early purchase of Cheers, knocking another 10% off the 613.00 ( 61.30 ) bringing the price down to 551.70 that does sound much better. That is what keeps me waivering back and forth.  I figure I will be awake on the ship roughly 61 hours.  Which means we need to drink $9.04/hr of assorted beverages to break even at 551.70.  Can I buy cheers with gift cards???

You are WAY over analyzing this, drinks per hour? That's a new one. We love A.I's staying at the resort. However, when we buy Cheers, we just bought our Carnival A.I. Would you stay at an A.I. resort for a week and pay to drink elsewhere for a day? If you drink 5-6 drinks per day plus coffees, waters, shakes and such, it's a great deal.

We always get the beverage package on our cruises and probably never drink as much as we would technically need to to get our money put of it. I've never really kept track though. 

I should probably be more frugal but I look at it as, I'm on vacation and trying new things (and new drinks) is kind of part of that experience so it's nice to just kick back and enjoy myself. It's not something that comes around very often. If I just buy ala carte style I'll just end up drinking the same beer I drink at home. 😁

• Like 2