Regent implements new cash/non refundable booking option

WesW

If this topic has been posted on before, apologize in advance.

Learned this weekend, that a few months ago, Regent now offers guests an option (on initial booking) to pay for your cruise upfront and earn a significant discount.  Your payment is non refundable, tho.

Last week, almost booked the Navigator (February 2020 Bali to Sydney) when learned that if I paid  for this 20 day cruise (entire fare not just a deposit), I would have earned a near 30% discount of the fare price.  However, if you select this all cash option it is non refundable. 

I was very tempted to book but declined.

Just wanted to share this new payment option in case it fits your situation.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ronrick1943; since this is a relatively  newly introduced option to pay for a Regent cruise suggest you ask about discounts coupled with this non refundable option with your TA (Travel Agent) or if y'all book direct with Regent, call Regent. 

When I placed a hold on the Navigator Bali to Sydney voyage next year, the invoice did include Seven Seas Society savings and Resticted Biz Class air plus transfers.

Edited by WesW

Discount sounds good.

Non-refundable doesn't.

Still being in the workforce, I've had to shuffle some vacations in the past.  Don't like to do it but I'm sometimes forced into it.  I wouldn't be able to make that kind of commitment.  Maybe when I'm retired it'll be a different story, but can't do it now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got this from my Regent inside contact:  

"Rates include up to 25% savings. Pay in full, non-refundable and they cannot take our insurance, it must be outside insurance. This is for new bookings only."

• Like 2

Well, considering all the reasons one might be obliged to cancel a cruise for a reason that isn't insurable, such as, a death outside the immediate family, a wedding date set after you've booked,  a grandchild's unexpected birth....  I can't imagine doing this myself, aside from all the problems getting outside insurance in the first place.

• Like 1

I was going to use our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card to make the final-final 🙂 payment since the fare was over $15K (decision point on whether to use the American Express Platinum card (below $15K), but decided not to do this itinerary--the deal was great and I was doing it as a single.  

2 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Wendy, you bring up some good points.  It’s certainly a risk.  I think Crystal is doing something similar.  

I'm not aware of crystal doing something similar...can you elaborate or tell me where I can find this info.  The only thing that I'm aware of with crystal, something they've been doing since I started cruising with them, a 2.5% early full pay discount when you pay in full 6 months prior to sailing. And 9 months  prior to sailing starting in 2020.  Your payment is refundable up until when the penalties kick in.  This is very different than this new regent incentive.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nancygp said:

I'm not aware of crystal doing something similar...can you elaborate or tell me where I can find this info.  The only thing that I'm aware of with crystal, something they've been doing since I started cruising with them, a 2.5% early full pay discount when you pay in full 6 months prior to sailing. And 9 months  prior to sailing starting in 2020.  Your payment is refundable up until when the penalties kick in.  This is very different than this new regent incentive.

Nancy

I think Drib  posted about the fares.  I maybe be wrong.

It has not been offered in the years that we have sailed with Regent (2004).  Silversea had some type of deal that is similar to what is being described.  

With the price of Regent cruises as high as they have become and the fact that we book upper suites, I'm not sure that we would want to put that much money at risk.  On the other hand, my DH may be interested if we were booking something that wasn't too far in the future.

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well, considering all the reasons one might be obliged to cancel a cruise for a reason that isn't insurable, such as, a death outside the immediate family, a wedding date set after you've booked,  a grandchild's unexpected birth....  I can't imagine doing this myself, aside from all the problems getting outside insurance in the first place.

The deal isn't "un-insurable",  jsut that Regent will not insure it. One could always buy insurance from a 3rd party like TravelGuard or CSA, before they made the purchase of  the cruise. It would be easily done from the ship  either online or by phone. And also, for a higher premium one can buy cancellation insurance up to 24 hours before departure.

J

• Like 1

Just to add that I was informed by my TA that this pre-pay discount only applies to 27 specific sailings on Navigator, Mariner and Voyager in Alaska, Canada/New England, Asia and South Pacific. 

There is only one cruise with a 25% discount, and the other cruises are either 10, 15 or 20%.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JMARINER said:

The deal isn't "un-insurable",  jsut that Regent will not insure it. One could always buy insurance from a 3rd party like TravelGuard or CSA, before they made the purchase of  the cruise. It would be easily done from the ship  either online or by phone. And also, for a higher premium one can buy cancellation insurance up to 24 hours before departure.

J

Of course.  I didn't say that the cruise was uninsurable, but that there are reasons to cancel a cruise that are, as in the examples I gave. Unless you bought "cancel for any reason" insurance, of course.

Wes, A question off topic, I have been thinking about getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, right now use AmEx Platinum. Why would you charge a cruise over $15000 on Chase Sapphire? Does that card offer more benefits, or is that just a personal choice? Thanks, Susan