Logic of having to go through TA for small details?

foggyphils

Can someone explain the logic of why some small changes have to go through your travel agent?

A couple of really simple things required multiple calls and emails that seem highly inefficient for everyone. 

1. Upgrading from Natural History Tour to Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Under excursions, it says there is an option to upgrade but you have to go through the TA. I don’t understand why you couldn’t just add this just like any other excursion. 

2. Removing a transfer because Princess doesn’t offer one the day we fly in. 

Just for clarification, this is for an Alaska Cruisetour. Transfers were automatically added (not included, but added at checkout) and the NHT is included with original price. 

I figure there must be a good reason, I just don’t know what it could be!!

Why did your TA automatically add transfers?  That is an option that they should have asked if you wanted.  You will most likely need them getting to and from the airports.  They can cancel them very easily.  For some reason TA's have to sign passengers up for this limit seating excursion.  Would definitely do the upgrade and sign up the earliest you can.  You can not wait until you get to Alaska.

49 minutes ago, foggyphils said:

Can someone explain the logic of why some small changes have to go through your travel agent?

A couple of really simple things required multiple calls and emails that seem highly inefficient for everyone. 

1. Upgrading from Natural History Tour to Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Under excursions, it says there is an option to upgrade but you have to go through the TA. I don’t understand why you couldn’t just add this just like any other excursion. 

2. Removing a transfer because Princess doesn’t offer one the day we fly in. 

Just for clarification, this is for an Alaska Cruisetour. Transfers were automatically added (not included, but added at checkout) and the NHT is included with original price. 

I figure there must be a good reason, I just don’t know what it could be!!

It's the way Princess works. If you book through a T.A. then you have to make any changes to the booking through a T.A. If you try to call Princess yourself you will just get frustrated. With point no. 1 it sounds like an upgrade to a different cruisetour, and not just a ship's tour. Ship's tours you can book on line yourself, but a cruisetour goes through the cruisetour department which is not related to the ship's tour department.

With point 2  some T.A.'s routinely add transfers to the booking. Just call them to have the transfer(s) removed. Note that if you purchased a Princess pre-cruisetour hotel package then a transfer should be included in the hotel package pricing.

32 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why did your TA automatically add transfers?  That is an option that they should have asked if you wanted.  You will most likely need them getting to and from the airports.  They can cancel them very easily.  For some reason TA's have to sign passengers up for this limit seating excursion.  Would definitely do the upgrade and sign up the earliest you can.  You can not wait until you get to Alaska.

Whether you book through Princess or another online travel agency, transfers are automatically added to cruisetours on the checkout screen. I assumed they were for transfers DURING the cruisetour. When I looked at my  personalizer, I realized they were airport transfers. However, we are arriving 3 days early to enjoy Vancouver and they only offer their transfer the day of the cruise. 

Fortunately there was enough room for the TWT. We leave next week. 😉

28 minutes ago, skynight said:

With point no. 1 it sounds like an upgrade to a different cruisetour, and not just a ship's tour. Ship's tours you can book on line yourself, but a cruisetour goes through the cruisetour department which is not related to the ship's tour department.

It’s the same cruisetour, but they give you the option to upgrade one of the excursions to a longer one for $70. But you have to do it through your TA. 🤷🏻‍♀️

You actually book the land excursions the same way as the cruise excursions. It’s all on the same list of “ports”. 

BDB46205-FA87-48D5-84A0-F9B8BC3D15F3.png

It's not just Princess, but all cruise lines at least the mainstream ones. I assume it's because the TA got a cut of price of the cruise, the cut that would pay for a PVP or the staff that would be making the change on a phone call to the toll-free number! Or perhaps that's what the TAs as a group insist on, to keep control of the reservation and 'protect' you. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

It's not just Princess, but all cruise lines at least the mainstream ones. I assume it's because the TA got a cut of price of the cruise, the cut that would pay for a PVP or the staff that would be making the change on a phone call to the toll-free number! Or perhaps that's what the TAs as a group insist on, to keep control of the reservation and 'protect' you. 

I’m thinking the control part might make more sense. As I imagine I’m part of a good percentage of calls into princess looking to do something and being told to go back through the TA. And Princess is paying those people to reroute us. Then the TA calls a different person that Princess is also paying to actually get it done. But I got the impression from my TA (not in a rude way or anything) they’d prefer me to be on hold and just do it myself. 😉 

My recent request that was denied was to change my EZair default city (EZair can be done by the passenger on line)  I was told that kind of change could only be done by my TA.  My TA had nothing to do with my booking of EZair, just that it appears on invoice and they collect payment.  It boggles me.

That is why I handle all my self direct with the cruise line, have not blame but myself if I don't get what I want...rarely do I not get what I want.... that simple.  This works for cruises, airlines and hotels... do it all myself, including insurance direct with Travel Guard.  

• Like 2

Regarding Transfers:

We leave Friday for a connoisseur cruise tour in Alaska. When I originally booked I saved the Travel Summary to my computer. Later, after transferring to my TA, I noticed that the Travel Summary listed a transfer in Vancouver to the airport. As we are staying in the Vancouver area for several days after the cruise I contacted my TA and asked to have the transfer removed. He checked and replied that he didn't see any transfer associated with my booking. WHAT?

I logged into my Cruise Personalizer and looked at the Travel Summary. D'Oh! It had changed from the one I had originally saved to my computer and it no longer mentioned the transfer. Princess strikes again. My point is, if you are looking at an older version of your Travel Summary that lists the transfers you might want to check Princess again and see if they are even listed at all on the updated Travel Summary.

2 hours ago, hpeabody said:

My recent request that was denied was to change my EZair default city (EZair can be done by the passenger on line)  I was told that kind of change could only be done by my TA.  My TA had nothing to do with my booking of EZair, just that it appears on invoice and they collect payment.  It boggles me.

What you are attempting to do is change the "gateway" city on your booking. If the promotion that you booked under was some kind of regional promotion or something similar, changing the gateway city could affect the fare pricing. That's why the TA has to make the change since it could potentially involve money. 

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We leave Friday for a connoisseur cruise tour in Alaska. When I originally booked I saved the Travel Summary to my computer. Later, after transferring to my TA, I noticed that the Travel Summary listed a transfer in Vancouver to the airport. As we are staying in the Vancouver area for several days after the cruise I contacted my TA and asked to have the transfer removed. He checked and replied that he didn't see any transfer associated with my booking. WHAT?

I logged into my Cruise Personalizer and looked at the Travel Summary. D'Oh! It had changed from the one I had originally saved to my computer and it no longer mentioned the transfer. Princess strikes again. My point is, if you are looking at an older version of your Travel Summary that lists the transfers you might want to check Princess again and see if they are even listed at all on the updated Travel Summary.

Interesting...I’m really surprised it’s not still on yours. Every cruisetour I looked at had that transfer fee. It’s also on my invoice I got from the agent. I was able to get a $65 credit back to my card for Vancouver today. Still have Fairbanks transfer which is next to the airport and offers free shuttle service. 🙄

4AF6DC6C-9DB4-4E9D-AD6B-4F815AE19C55.jpeg

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

That is why I handle all my self direct with the cruise line, have not blame but myself if I don't get what I want...rarely do I not get what I want.... that simple.  This works for cruises, airlines and hotels... do it all myself, including insurance direct with Travel Guard.  

34 minutes ago, emmak8 said:

I agree with pris993! So much less stressful to take care of details myself rather than to call TA for every little thing.

Choose what you feel most comfortable doing.

I hear ya. I prefer to do my own stuff,  but the cruise line wanted $800 more for the exact same booking. Even if I couldn’t get the transfers taken care of, it’s a big enough amount to deal with the headache. 

1 hour ago, foggyphils said:

Interesting...I’m really surprised it’s not still on yours. Every cruisetour I looked at had that transfer fee. It’s also on my invoice I got from the agent. I was able to get a $65 credit back to my card for Vancouver today. Still have Fairbanks transfer which is next to the airport and offers free shuttle service. 🙄

I have no idea why it changed but this is the info I have.

From original Travel Summary (pdf saved to computer 9/26/18):

image.png.325e37774bc0e32e403bd762d45c55c6.png

image.thumb.png.b02b36935d940967415fcc8f1e8ef7db.png

=====================================================

From updated Travel Summary (pdf saved to computer 2/26/19):

image.png.d2ef7475bff236ea516bf8c958f5dbde.png

3 hours ago, foggyphils said:

I hear ya. I prefer to do my own stuff,  but the cruise line wanted $800 more for the exact same booking. Even if I couldn’t get the transfers taken care of, it’s a big enough amount to deal with the headache. 

I think it depends on when you book... we book early, directly and watch for price drops, cruise will re fare if you request... often find the price goes up from what we book because we book early.    Now airlines are a different story.  Hotels, I book early and watch hotel rates, if rate drops, I call request the lower rate, always get.    

We have only booked our selves for the past 10-15 years.... prior to that often used TAs... then they started to charge if you cancelled and rebooked ... TAs, also started to charge a fee for airline tickets when airlines stopped giving them a fee for booking and we found TAs often got seat assignments on out going flights but not on returns.  Because TAs are trying to get the cheaps flights to make the most money... I do better on my own.   We have cruised for 40 years... well over 60 cruises on 9 different cruise lines... all about the same.  For many using a TA is better... that is fine but then you give up control over you booking, it is a choice.    Likewise if you book air thru a TA or the Cruiseline,  you have no control over the air booking... often don't get flight info til close to the trip, by booking my self, I am able to book the most direct flight possible, get seat assignments up front and if airline changes  something and I don't like what they have done I contact them and they usually work with you when they have made a change that does work in concert with you cruise.   Any rate traveling is a learning experience... it is fun, your choice how you do it. 

I liked the way I have always done it in the past. Our first cruise was booked by my wife and my son and I was dragged along. She booked through a TA. (Same TA we use today.) After that first cruise I booked all of my own cruises through Princess. I tracked pricing, promotions, etc. Shortly before final payment I would transfer to my TA and he would knock a chunk off of the top end of the price. Worked well for us and well for him. I did the work, he got the commission, I got a discount. Best of both worlds. Now that Princess has changed the rules so you have to do the transfer almost immediately it really messes me up. I want the discount off the cruise price but I really liked having control of everything myself. Poop.

As for fees to cancel, alter, or whatever: I wouldn't have a TA that charged for thing of that sort. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thrak said:

After that first cruise I booked all of my own cruises through Princess. I tracked pricing, promotions, etc. Shortly before final payment I would transfer to my TA and he would knock a chunk off of the top end of the price. Worked well for us and well for him. I did the work, he got the commission, I got a discount. Best of both worlds.

That’s smart. I didn’t know that was an option. I only go on a cruise every couple of years. On this one, we booked flights (AA using points that let you have some flexibility on changing dates) in June 2018 and then booked the cruise about 45 days out. I tracked one way Alaska cruises last year so knew they would drop close to sailing. 

So so did you get the connoisseur tour when they had them all the same price no matter the length? I almost jumped on that but chickened out! 

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

From original Travel Summary (pdf saved to computer 9/26/18):

image.png.325e37774bc0e32e403bd762d45c55c6.png

image.thumb.png.b02b36935d940967415fcc8f1e8ef7db.png

=====================================================

From updated Travel Summary (pdf saved to computer 2/26/19):

image.png.d2ef7475bff236ea516bf8c958f5dbde.png

So you have the same $86 charge. Yet, it’s not showing up with a transfer. That’s really perplexing!

1 hour ago, pris993 said:I think it depends on when you book... we book early, directly and watch for price drops, cruise will re fare if you request... often find the price goes up from what we book because we book early.    Now airlines are a different story.  Hotels, I book early and watch hotel rates, if rate drops, I call request the lower rate, always get.    

We booked 45 days out so the cancel fee would of been outrageous no matter where we booked. I think NB/SB Alaska cruises are a bit of an anomaly. They drop dramatically the month before sailing. I noticed the round trips seemed to go up for the most part. 

It is really hard for me to have to do things through the TA. I don’t like to inconvenience people so I’m already going into it from a place of settling for good enough when I’d like to plan or change something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hpeabody said:

My gateway city has always been LA, although I live near SF. It never mattered, because booking EZ Air I could change the airport. Now we have a cruise out of LA coming up, and I can't look at EZ Air pricing because it says I don't need airfare. I could not change online myself so I have emailed my agent. It is not till Thanksgiving, so no hurry, and I could probably call since it does not seem to be attached to the booking, but to my Captains Circle settings. 

Having booked a cruise with another Cruiseline which was offering £1 flights, I have to say I am extremely frustrated that the Cruiseline has control of flights and we were unable to book specific seats or extra room till 10 days prior to sailing, when sent locator number. Cruiseline transfer also added to booking..Maybe a good thing as it's for group of 8.

Would never do this again as it has caused unbelievable stress and taken the shine off the cruise before we've even sailed. Travel agent will be getting a letter on our return!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foggyphils said:

So you have the same $86 charge. Yet, it’s not showing up with a transfer. That’s really perplexing!

Look at my post. The $86 was on the first Travel Summary which showed the transfer. The later Travel Summary doesn't have the transfer and also doesn't have the $86 charge.

Edited by Thrak

14 hours ago, hpeabody said:

Apparently it is something in the EZair system that associates the gateway airport with the home address.  We had a cruise out of Houston once where we had to have the TA change our home airport to Houston, as we were driving to there from central Texas.  The following cruise required a change back by the TA so we could fly out of Austin..

I guess this part of the system is set up by the airline, which assumes one will  fly from a nearby airport always.