Are "connecting rooms" a noise issue?

I was looking at the JS 6644 on Allure that I picked and noticed it had a connecting door.  I sleep with a white noise machine, will be this sufficient in drowning out the  excess if there is some?  I loved the the room because it🙂 is on the "hump".  I would rather not change it.

We had an adjoining room on deck 3 of Adventures of the Seas.  I did hear some conversation during the day in the adjoining room but not clearly.  Our neighbors were considerate at night and we didn't hear anything.  I would prefer not to have an adjoining room again. I don't care to know when my neighbors are in their room.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vlgg731 said:

We had an adjoining room on deck 3 of Adventures of the Seas.  I did hear some conversation during the day in the adjoining room but not clearly.  Our neighbors were considerate at night and we didn't hear anything.  I would prefer not to have an adjoining room again. I don't care to know when my neighbors are in their room.

Good to know, I will call my TA and see if another similar room is available.  If not we may have to live with it.🙄

3 minutes ago, villager70 said:

I have stayed in these on 7 & 8 on three occasions and never heard any noise from the small narrow door  that connects near glass slider. Bob

😀

We just spent 16 nights in an adjoining JS on the Serenade.  Didn't realize I had booked an adjoining cabin until it was too late to change it.  I must say that we never heard a sound from the cabin next door and were pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I was looking at the JS 6644 on Allure that I picked and noticed it had a connecting door.  I sleep with a white noise machine, will be this sufficient in drowning out the  excess if there is some?  I loved the the room because it🙂 is on the "hump".  I would rather not change it.

We always try to avoid connecting cabins.  However we've had them in the past and can't say we've ever had a noise problem.  We did have a noise problem with a friend in the next cabin and is wasn't connecting.  She had her ipod speaker next to our wall and all we could hear was the thumping bass.   Finally convinced her to turn the bass way down and that took care of it. 

One time, many years ago, we had smoke migrating under the connecting door, but smoking in cabins and balconies is no longer allowed so shouldn't be a problem.  

For me, I'd rather chance the unlikely possibility of noise and keep the Hump balcony.  Well worth the risk.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It all depends on your neighbours.  If there were another non connecting cabin you could switch to the I would.  Why take the chance 

From what I recall there is only one Hump JS on each side that is not connected.  Ends in 40

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We just spent 16 nights in an adjoining JS on the Serenade.  Didn't realize I had booked an adjoining cabin until it was too late to change it.  I must say that we never heard a sound from the cabin next door and were pleasantly surprised.

Good news.🙂   I really don't want to give up this room, I love the location!

John&LaLa, 40 was not available.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I would definitely avoid it if possible.  We definitely noticed more noise from connecting rooms than from non-connecting.

Completely agree with this.  We've had connecting rooms a few times with friends/family and once with a stranger.  I will always try to NOT book a connecting room unless it's someone we know.  It is a slight risk as there is less soundproofing if your neighbors are loud.

If it was a cabin I super wanted or the last cabin available, obviously I would still go for it as a 'connecting cabin' is still better than being at home! 😃

• Like 1

After a bad experience, I will never book a connecting room in the future.  It sure does depend on your neighbor.  Ours was a hard of hearing man, LOUD TV,  yelled rudely at his 'care taker' and the room steward.  It was so bad, we asked to be moved.  At Guest Services they had a sign that stated no available cabins.  I still requested a move, and asked them to check with the room steward on how bad it was.  About an hour later, we got a phone call - after we had resigned ourselves to the situation and had unpacked - the call stated we could move.  We were fortunate to move to our first hump cabin - which we loved.  I say, if you have the choice - don't take the chance.

• Like 1

We've also had noise issue with connecting cabins and avoid them.  We've been assigned a connecting cabin when booking guarantee rooms a few times but have always been able to switch to a different room in the same category.  Some people have reported asking the cabin steward to tape the connecting door which helps keep the noise level down if you're having noise issues.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crilski said:

After a bad experience, I will never book a connecting room in the future.  It sure does depend on your neighbor.  Ours was a hard of hearing man, LOUD TV,  yelled rudely at his 'care taker' and the room steward.  It was so bad, we asked to be moved.  At Guest Services they had a sign that stated no available cabins.  I still requested a move, and asked them to check with the room steward on how bad it was.  About an hour later, we got a phone call - after we had resigned ourselves to the situation and had unpacked - the call stated we could move.  We were fortunate to move to our first hump cabin - which we loved.  I say, if you have the choice - don't take the chance.

Our room is a hump room😳

We had a connecting Promenade room on Adventure a few years ago. The connecting door seemed to be warped, not only could you hear everything from the room next door but also light shone through when we were in bed. Our room steward stuffed the crack with foam and put masking tape over the crack. This ready helped but from that cruise on we have avoided connecting rooms.    

My experience with connecting room, wouldn't again. They were noisy when coming in and leaving day and nite. What was worse were smokers. They'd smoke outside but every time that Balcony door of theirs opened  would blow smoke their closed connecting doors. Room was filled and be in my room all day. Had to complain, they were fined second time I called. Heard whole conversation... 

I had a connecting room on Explorer of the Seas that did not block noise from the adjacent cabin very well; I heard everything. I notified guest services of the problem and later that day they had had maintenance come up and use gaffers tape along the edges of the door; I presume they probably did the same on the other side bu don't know for sure. After that there was never a time I heard noise from the adjacent cabin.

So I do avoid connecting rooms whenever possible, and so far have managed to do that every time. But should there be some last-minute deal I take in the future and have no choice, I at least know how to get it taken care of if there's a problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It all depends on your neighbours.  If there were another non connecting cabin you could switch to the I would.  Why take the chance 

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

To Hump Jr suite room with connecting, or not to hump room with connecting door, that is the QUESTION.🤔

Although I have not ha a problem with a connecting door, I would pick one without a connecting door, if given a choice. I am not a huge fan of hump cabins......I have experienced more noise related annoyances in those than in other cabins.

25 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

My experience with connecting room, wouldn't again. They were noisy when coming in and leaving day and nite. What was worse were smokers. They'd smoke outside but every time that Balcony door of theirs opened  would blow smoke their closed connecting doors. Room was filled and be in my room all day. Had to complain, they were fined second time I called. Heard whole conversation... 

Uh oh.😐

Well I contacted my TA and they called Royal and the only non connecting JS  that was available for NOW, was on deck 14.  She said to call back in a few weeks as they might have more rooms available.

I really wanted deck 6 or 8, I did not want 14.

We had a connecting room a few years ago. It was horrible, and I would avoid at all costs. The couple next door were extremely loud from the time of boarding and we could hear everything they said including swearing. They tried to open the connecting door. We asked them nicely over the balcony if they could keep the noise down and basically they told it was their vacation to do what they wanted.

We went down to guest services as this was the first day of the cruise and I could not image dealing with this for 7 days. Luckily there was an open cabin although it was an obstructed view. It was a shame that the noisy neighbors forced us into an obstructed view, but at least I didn't have to deal with obnoxious conversations. 

• Like 2