Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Hi!  Where can I get those lanyards that people wear on cruises (the ones with their key card and ID etc on them).  I figured maybe I'd get something cheaper and better quality now than if I buy it on the ship.  I saw the actual neck lanyard things even at Party City for a buck, but they don't have those plastic holding things on them. Any advice would be great!  Thanks! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get mine from Amazon in multi packs.  They come with the plastic holder, but we don't use that.  We put the card right on the lanyard using the clip that goes through the hole in the card.  On RCL, the card didn't come with a hole so we took it to guest services and they punched a hole in it.  We have found that when we used the plastic holders, either the holder would break off or the card would come out of the holder.  Plus, when handing our card to a bartender or using it, we don't have to remove it from a holder.

https://www.amazon.com/KUUQA-Holder-Lanyard-Office-Exhibition/dp/B01G8MZOSG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=KUUQA-Holder-Lanyard-Office-Exhibition%2F&qid=1558834232&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

We put the card right on the lanyard using the clip that goes through the hole in the card.  On RCL, the card didn't come with a hole so we took it to guest services and they punched a hole in it.

Newer ships that use the contactless RFID cards are not accepting of punching a hole in the card, hence the need for the sleeved solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Newer ships that use the contactless RFID cards are not accepting of punching a hole in the card, hence the need for the sleeved solution.


I thought you could still take the new cards to customer service so they could punch the hole in the right place.  Maybe not.  The last Royal cruise I went on was Liberty of the Seas in 2017.  The card didn't have a hole, but customer service punched one.  Maybe it was an older style card.

Edited by TNcruising02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Liberty of the Seas

Unless it was part of an upgrade done to the ship at some point, that probably had the older style card.  Did you have to actually slide the card in the door to open it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Unless it was part of an upgrade done to the ship at some point, that probably had the older style card.  Did you have to actually slide the card in the door to open it?


I don't remember because I have been on a few cruises since then.  I remember reading about the new cards and that some people were trying to figure out where the RFID thing was in the card so they could try to make their own hole.  I didn't want to deal with that, so I just took my card to guest services.  But now that you are mentioning the new cards are only on newer ships, it had to be the old card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They know where to punch the cards w/o affecting the RF coding!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you sail out of Baltimore, there is a shop on the way to the ship (past check in and waiting area) that sell lanyards and will punch your card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is my ID holder... pressure holder with a slide ejector... add your choice of lanyard and it is very easy to use. Card slides out fast to hand over for a drink or charge and slides back in easily.  I put it away when off ship or sometimes the whole thing is in my pocket rather than around my neck. But it makes the card easy to find and keep track of since I don't carry a wallet around the ship.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/ 

 

Edited by PelicanBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:00 AM, LukeyC said:

Hi!  Where can I get those lanyards that people wear on cruises (the ones with their key card and ID etc on them).  I figured maybe I'd get something cheaper and better quality now than if I buy it on the ship.  I saw the actual neck lanyard things even at Party City for a buck, but they don't have those plastic holding things on them. Any advice would be great!  Thanks! 🙂

Office works or any other stationary type store would have a selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

This is my ID holder... pressure holder with a slide ejector... add your choice of lanyard and it is very easy to use. Card slides out fast to hand over for a drink or charge and slides back in easily.  I put it away when off ship or sometimes the whole thing is in my pocket rather than around my neck. But it makes the card easy to find and keep track of since I don't carry a wallet around the ship.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/ 

 



I think you pasted the wrong link....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
15 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

This is my ID holder... pressure holder with a slide ejector... add your choice of lanyard and it is very easy to use. Card slides out fast to hand over for a drink or charge and slides back in easily.  I put it away when off ship or sometimes the whole thing is in my pocket rather than around my neck. But it makes the card easy to find and keep track of since I don't carry a wallet around the ship.

 

 

 

23 minutes ago, brillohead said:



I think you pasted the wrong link....

Thanks again!

 

Here is the correct link

https://www.amazon.com/Dispenser-Extractor-Specialist-ID-Individually/dp/B004XWD3VO/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=rigid+vertical+id+holder&qid=1559057423&s=gateway&sr=8-7 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very strange.

 

In both threads, none of the links in your posts are clickable for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

Very strange.

 

In both threads, none of the links in your posts are clickable for me.

Try placing the mouse at the very beginning of a line. There seems to be a display glitch in the board engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used a badge holder similar to the one linked by PelicanBill. I had an issue with the bit that the lanyard clips to snapping off after some period of use. It should last a week or two but over time the polystyrene is just a little too brittle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Win trivia and you may get not only a lanyard but the respect of everyone on the cruise.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Along with a Ship on a Stick!

They are special, but rather cumbersome to carry around everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, PelicanBill said:

Try placing the mouse at the very beginning of a line. There seems to be a display glitch in the board engine.

 

OK, but VERY strange that the same thing happened with your same post, in two different threads.

 

And it also affected the Quote link.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SRF said:

 

OK, but VERY strange that the same thing happened with your same post, in two different threads.

 

And it also affected the Quote link.

 

 

agreed.  no explanation other than a bug in the board system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...