Hype over Ocean Cay fizzling since everything a la carte

LMaxwell

Am I the only one that has waited a long time for Ocean Cay and one delay after another, and now that it will be up and running soon, just kind of deflated to find out everything is a la carte pricing and additional?  I find it odd to go a cruise line private island at a beach day and even the beach bbq buffet is an upcharge.  I get that certain upscale features and amenities will incur a charge for any cruise line, but a simple beach day in lounge chairs with a bbq lunch is a new one for me.  

• Like 2

We were looking at a little 3 or 4 night getaway in January, with the lead in price for a cabin priced $169 pp...the port charges for any cruise stopping at Ocean Cay were over $200... wonder if MSC is setting the charge for the port and trying to re-coop some$ because it seemed a little high to me when a 7 night Mexican cruise Port fees and taxes were less than $175.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Am I the only one that has waited a long time for Ocean Cay and one delay after another, and now that it will be up and running soon, just kind of deflated to find out everything is a la carte pricing and additional?  I find it odd to go a cruise line private island at a beach day and even the beach bbq buffet is an upcharge.  I get that certain upscale features and amenities will incur a charge for any cruise line, but a simple beach day in lounge chairs with a bbq lunch is a new one for me.  

Yeah I agree. The food should be included in the price.

53 minutes ago, SteelCruisin said:

We were looking at a little 3 or 4 night getaway in January, with the lead in price for a cabin priced $169 pp...the port charges for any cruise stopping at Ocean Cay were over $200... wonder if MSC is setting the charge for the port and trying to re-coop some$ because it seemed a little high to me when a 7 night Mexican cruise Port fees and taxes were less than $175.

As MSC supposedly own OC why would there be port charges! Makes no sense.

Edited by sidari

45 minutes ago, sidari said:

As MSC supposedly own OC why would there be port charges! Makes no sense.

Interesting...I think the other stop was Nassau or Freeport, either way the port fees were ridiculous ...think I need to make a fake booking again so I have the exact #s....

Well I personally would not pay for a BBQ on beach when I can get that on the ship for free, it's seems unbelievable!

on the Splendida in January, the beach BBQ and loungers were all included on Sir Bani yas island, with extra charge for canoes etc. the YC passengers had a separate part of beach with better seating and presumably upgraded food although didn't venture over to see as in steerage!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, max996 said:

Yeah I agree. The food should be included in the price.

That would be a first for a cruise line to charge for a BBQ on their own private island. Don't recall other lines to do so? 

No other ine does it.NCL does innHarvest Cay, but that was an arrangement with the Hondouran gov't. They really had no other choice. Great Stirrup Cay is free, as is RCCL , Disney, HAL, Princess, and carnival at  HAL's island.( senior moment, can't remember the name) LOL.

The ship is docked and you just walk off/on. No tendering.  It basically becomes a part of the island. So, really you could say all the food you could want is on the island for free.  You just have to pay for food that is a bit closer to you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DWhit said:

The ship is docked and you just walk off/on. No tendering.  It basically becomes a part of the island. So, really you could say all the food you could want is on the island for free.  You just have to pay for food that is a bit closer to you.  

Hope you got through the storms and flooding okay!

its not really a big deal - when u spent $1000's of dollars for the cruise and air - what is another $20.00 - i have spent $20.00 more foolisly - besides, its very clear that it is very easy to go back to the ship for a meal - are u really going to stay on the island from 900am until 1100pm?  

MSC is very economical in many other factors..and one must remember this as well - i have spent way more $ on Royal and Princess - so really u did pay for this meal on the island  as well - nothing is free in life - so if you want to spend $2000.00 for a cruise on Royal / Princess rather than a $1000.00 and MSC  to get a free beach barbeque buffet - then go ahead

this is just my outlook on this issue

down the road they may change this charge  - as MSC loves to make alot of changes along the way - to best fit/suit the clientele...

for now - just wait and see - 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

its not really a big deal - when u spent $1000's of dollars for the cruise and air - what is another $20.00 - i have spent $20.00 more foolisly - besides, its very clear that it is very easy to go back to the ship for a meal - are u really going to stay on the island from 900am until 1100pm?  

MSC is very economical in many other factors..and one must remember this as well - i have spent way more $ on Royal and Princess - so really u did pay for this meal on the island  as well - nothing is free in life - so if you want to spend $2000.00 for a cruise on Royal / Princess rather than a $1000.00 and MSC  to get a free beach barbeque buffet - then go ahead

down the road they may change this charge  - as MSC loves to make alot of changes along the way - to best fit/suit the clientele...

We r new to MSC

It appears that since it is a la carte-- you don't pay for what you don't use/want

Doing B2B in spring and will be at Ocean Cay twice in 2 weeks. Looking fwd to it and hoping the weather cooperates, is temperate etc.

42 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

I am so glad that someone gets it.  You are so correct.  Why don't  people see that they are paying for it on the other lines regardless if they the eat the lousy bbq buffet on the private island or not.  This way you have a choice.  I can't believe how may people don't have no problem spending thousands on a cruise and get bent over $20.  Stop and think just a minute before whining. Or better yet, threaten to take your business elsewhere.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I look at this way. Why would I pay $20 a person for the BUFFET food? If we still were on our cruise, we were bringing protein bars and our water bottles. I'll pay for specialty restaurants. Not a lunch bbq outside or whatever they call it. 

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

Hope you got through the storms and flooding okay!

Thanks, we are OK here.  About a 1/2 mile from the river.  Wish I had a spare cruise ship docked nearby, just in case ☺️

Sorry to to hear about the tornadoes in your state.  

24 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I look at this way. Why would I pay $20 a person for the BUFFET food? If we still were on our cruise, we were bringing protein bars and our water bottles. I'll pay for specialty restaurants. Not a lunch bbq outside or whatever they call it. 

Or instead of water and protein bars, you could stroll over to the ship and eat a free buffet lunch or whatever else you wanted.  I don't understand why people are so upset with MSC about this.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DWhit said:

Thanks, we are OK here.  About a 1/2 mile from the river.  Wish I had a spare cruise ship docked nearby, just in case ☺️

Sorry to to hear about the tornadoes in your state.  

Thanks.  That's good you are far enough away.  Unfortunately, the Arkansas River doesn't need a large ship and any more water displacement!  I was just there a few days before, and we had alerts at the Embassy Suites near Memorial.  Not the first time that's happened there!

3 minutes ago, DWhit said:

Or instead of water and protein bars, you could stroll over to the ship and eat a free buffet lunch or whatever else you wanted.  I don't understand why people are so upset with MSC about this.

Speaking for myself I really dont feel like walking back to ship for drinks and lunch. We like to explore and snorkeling so we usually pack them anyway just in case. I think those of us who have cruised other lines are not used to being charged for a buffet lunch on a cruise line island. If people are ok paying for it, good for them. I personally dont like it. But that's my opinion. 

• Like 1

I have a bad feeling MSC will treat Ocean Cay like a port day, meaning the MDR's are closed and the buffet is the only option.  Think about the lunch buffet madness on the first day, and that's not even with everyone on the ship.  The first few stops are going to be interesting until MSC gets this figured out because I don't think a lot of people are going to pay $19pp for the buffet or extra for the OC seafood restaurant.

Confused.

Ocean Cay hasn't opened yet--and there is a complaint thread?

We are looking fwd to trying it.

MSC is clear that MANY food/bev options remain on the ship...and there are some on their resort island

Until we've been there etc next spring--we aren't judging it.

Looking fwd tot he golf cart access being in YC!

• Like 3