Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

21 hours ago, BEAV said:

Thanks. I'll assume that's why you booked the outbound flight via IAH vs direct. 

What I've found of late is a lot like cruise pricing these days.  Award flights with the lowest tier miles are tough to come by 2-3-4 months in advance. But then at the 2 or 3 week mark a lot of them suddenly open up. My guess is it's the philosophy of the cruise lines. Hope to sell the seat for $$$, then when you can't, open up the award seats. I'm sure you're aware United slaps a $75 surcharge on close-in award tickets, so instead I use Air Canada's program (AMEX points transferred into their mileage program) to book the United flight since they don't impose the surcharge. So many different angles!

The main reason we chose the connection through IAH was that we wanted to fly out of SJC instead of SFO.   You probably know how SFO is prone to delays due to fog.   

I often book with Award tickets and lucky that I don't have to pay the close in booking fee as a Platinum, even better they also do not charge a change fee.  

I accumulate most of my points in my Chase Sapphire account until I need it and then an transfer them to any of thier partners -  Air Lingus, BA, Air France/Klm, Jet Blue,  Singapore, Southwest, United or Virgin Atlantic.   I have in the past booked Air Canada via the Star Alliance.

21 hours ago, keesar said:

Your pictures are great!  The mansions in Newport are decorated for Christmas and are spectacular!  Glad you had a good day in Newport.  We love visiting Newport, especially this time of year.  It is not far from our home.

Keep enjoying  your cruise!

I can imagine they would be beautiful all decorated for Xmas.    So far the Mansions have been the high point of our trip.   I wish we returned to Newport the next cruise but we spend an extra day in Bermuda and skip Newport.  

• Like 1

Following your thread is a first for me by checking out what Celebrity has to offer, I have only sailed three other lines and am always looking for new adventures.

To start with, I am really enjoying following your travels, thank you for taking the time to share. Love the photos as well as your monologue. 

Also I must say I did search and look for how a person becomes ZENITH on Celebrity, and wow!!!!!!  You definitely love to cruise, I can only dream of having accomplished what  you have done and seen.

Celebrity should hire you on as their PR person.

Safe travels.

Eager for more.

21 hours ago, bkbarrym said:

Jim,

Looking ahead to Boston would appreciate your feedback as to whether a shuttle  (either offered by Celebrity or run by the port) is available to and from the port to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area. We have been checking into it for our cruise on the 27th but have not be able to get a definitive answer. We will be in Boston on July 4th. TIA.

Barry

Barry

I will let you know.     Last time we were in Boston on Silhouette (TransAtlantic) they had a free shuttle to Quincy Market area.   Actually the bus dropped us off directly in front of the aquarium which is about 2 blocks from Quincy Market.

A couple of the regulars on Summit have told us that they have a shuttle but it is about $8.00 pp.   For that price I would think it would be cheaper to get an Uber if more than 2 pax.    I'll let you know when we get to Boston on Monday.

20 hours ago, hcat said:

This is one thing I wish they wpuld have in print at GR..Not everyone cares but we save them and like yo read abput the officers and staff... hard to scroll along

I was going to grab an extra copy of the Daily today at Al Baccio and the rack on the wall is no longer there.    I then went down to Guest Relations and the stand is gone from there also (unless they moved it).  

To be honest I am loving Summit and her changes.   Yea there are lots of little difference but all in all the Revolution was a ral improvement in so many ways.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ecslady said:

Great pics of the Zenith lunch! wish there wasn't such a big gap between Elite Plus and Zenith.  🙁

I agree.   I didn't think we would ever get to Zenith.    Retirement fixed that quickly.   LOL

16 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

I loved al the mansion photos. I would have loved to live in the Breakers or the Marble house in their hay-days.

Norma

I can't even imagine what it was like back in those days.   It was interested that they pointed out that the Marble Manision only had 1 Guest Bedroom.   In the day, the guest would either live in town or would rent a mansion when visiting. 

15 hours ago, RodPat said:

I see in your photo of the Zenith Lunch you are sailing with Arno and his wife JoAnne.  I would think he is the top cruiser on board.  I think they are Zenith 3 times.  Lovely couple.

Pat

I met Arno and JoAnne yesterday.   What a treat.   I've seen them on CC for 15-20 years and this is the first time we have had the honor of meeting them.   From what I heard is they are indeed Top Cruiser.   This cruise has some of the heavy hitters like Eric and Dawn among others.  

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Jim:

Quick question, when you left Bayonne did you go right out under the bridge or head north and go around the Statue.

Also, I am always amazed and most people don't know that those beautiful mansions were only used for 8 weeks a year in the summer.

Love the pictures...

We headed right out under the Bridge.    I guess it was Captain Kate's signature maneuver to sail past Lady Liberty.   

We were lucky to pass close by her last fall on Silhouette and docked in Manhattan.    What a treat. 

2 hours ago, LA_CA_GAL said:

Just joined, and I see that I have a lot of reading to get to present.

Looking forward to your posts.

We have sailed Summit twice, and have two future sailings, next up July to Bermuda.

As for packing, the Bermuda cruise is incredibly casual, so we pack very little.  

On the chic nights, we found it mostly not different from every other night.

OK, back to reading the rest of the posts.  Thanx for doing this.

I think you will love getting back on Summit.   She really is beautiful all dressed up in her new attire.

Last night was our first Chic night and we will only have one more for this cruise.   Most folks dressed Resort Casual with about 20% dressed in dinner jackets or Tux and evening dresses.   Possibly more dressy in Retreat as they had the Senior Officers Greeting at 5:30.

I am sure you will be beautiful with your choice of attire.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We headed right out under the Bridge.    I guess it was Captain Kate's signature maneuver to sail past Lady Liberty.   

We were lucky to pass close by her last fall on Silhouette and docked in Manhattan.    What a treat. 

Actually it started with the Captain before Kate but she continued it, I was curious if the current Captain would follow it.  We went by the statue years ago with Meridien, Horizon and Zenith when they went out of NYC.   It would be nice if this Captain did it since it is a treat.   We'll find out in August what they do.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Following your thread is a first for me by checking out what Celebrity has to offer, I have only sailed three other lines and am always looking for new adventures.

To start with, I am really enjoying following your travels, thank you for taking the time to share. Love the photos as well as your monologue. 

Also I must say I did search and look for how a person becomes ZENITH on Celebrity, and wow!!!!!!  You definitely love to cruise, I can only dream of having accomplished what  you have done and seen.

Celebrity should hire you on as their PR person.

Safe travels.

Eager for more.

LOL... we are only a lowly new Zenith and amazed at how many cruises many of the Zenith's have taken.   There is a difference on how many came up through the ranks.    Originally you only got 1 point for up to 10 day cruise and 2 points for 11 or more.   I believe you also got an additional point for a suite.    The conversion to the new point system was not very good for those that sailed less but in suites. 

We have never sailed any other lines except Celebrity.   We liked the product when we first sailed and never found a reason yet to try another line.    That may change as I would like to visit some exotic locations that Celebrity doesn't service.

• Like 1

Finally caught up.   I really try to either answer or at least click the Like or Thanks button for anyone who posts.   Everyone comments are really appreciated and if I missed your comment or question please post again so I make sure to respond. 

• Like 1

Just now, dkjretired said:

Actually it started with the Captain before Kate but she continued it, I was curious if the current Captain would follow it.  We went by the statue years ago with Meridien, Horizon and Zenith when they went out of NYC.   It would be nice if this Captain did it since it is a treat. 

Yes, it was Captain Leo who was prior to Captain Kate who started sailing past the Statue of Liberty. I was on the first sailing that Captain Leo did it. The harbormaster has to approve it every time so that it was not done does not necessarily mean the current Captain won’t do it. 

• Like 2

Last night was our First Chic Night and was very festive.    We skipped the Officers Party in the Retreat as it was at 5:30 and a little too early for us.    We met a great group of people in RC around 7:30 and went to dinner with Wanda at 8:45.  

First I would say we are really enjoying Blu.   The service and food have both been excellent.   We were talking to the Manaer last evening and he said it was a really weird cruise.    The first night about 150 guests all showed up at the door at 5:30 and created for him the worst evening of his career.   After 8:00 PM only 9 guest (3 of them were us) came for dinner.   We have had the honor of closing the restaurant 3 nights in a row.

Service has been excellent and they have added a second Sommelier permanently to Blu.

I forgot to take pictures of the Menu and our meals.   I must be getting old...

For Starters Wanda ordered the scallops and the waiter immediately shook his head NO.   He told her she had to order something else as the Scallop was realy small and only one on the plate.   She then ordered a Salmon and of course received both for a starter.    I had the Heirloom Tomatoes (excellent) and Iain had something I am sure (I forget).   For our main courses Wanda and I had the Rack of Lamb - medium Rare.    It was prepared to perfection.     Iain loves Pheasant but it is usually dry.   The waiter said he would have the Chef cook it on the grill specifically for him and it was indeed cooked to perfection.    For desert Wanda (she's so good) skipped desert,  I had the apple crumble and Iain opted for a Bailey's on the Rocks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes, it was Captain Leo who was prior to Captain Kate who started sailing past the Statue of Liberty. I was on the first sailing that Captain Leo did it. The harbormaster has to approve it every time so that it was not done does not necessarily mean the current Captain won’t do it. 

Thanks for the information.   I didn't know that.    We were late leaving Port Liberty so not sure if that had any bearing on the route we took.  I'm guessing we were at least an hour late as after leaving the helipad we went back to our room and I didn't even know we had left port until I saw land going by and realized we were underneath the bridge.

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night was our First Chic Night and was very festive.    We skipped the Officers Party in the Retreat as it was at 5:30 and a little too early for us.    We met a great group of people in RC around 7:30 and went to dinner with Wanda at 8:45.  

First I would say we are really enjoying Blu.   The service and food have both been excellent.   We were talking to the Manaer last evening and he said it was a really weird cruise.    The first night about 150 guests all showed up at the door at 5:30 and created for him the worst evening of his career.   After 8:00 PM only 9 guest (3 of them were us) came for dinner.   We have had the honor of closing the restaurant 3 nights in a row.

Service has been excellent and they have added a second Sommelier permanently to Blu.

I forgot to take pictures of the Menu and our meals.   I must be getting old...

For Starters Wanda ordered the scallops and the waiter immediately shook his head NO.   He told her she had to order something else as the Scallop was realy small and only one on the plate.   She then ordered a Salmon and of course received both for a starter.    I had the Heirloom Tomatoes (excellent) and Iain had something I am sure (I forget).   For our main courses Wanda and I had the Rack of Lamb - medium Rare.    It was prepared to perfection.     Iain loves Pheasant but it is usually dry.   The waiter said he would have the Chef cook it on the grill specifically for him and it was indeed cooked to perfection.    For desert Wanda (she's so good) skipped desert,  I had the apple crumble and Iain opted for a Bailey's on the Rocks. 

I enjoy eating dinner early because I am so hungry at 5:30. Maybe I will have a snack at the lido at hit up Blu around 7:45. 

Time for a little eye candy. 

Lots of seating has been added to the jogging deck. 

5F1C6F3E-DEBB-47C7-A295-D044D94052EE.thumb.jpeg.d5aa22461df597dd3fa338a2bbe6582e.jpeg

the new new carpeting is really nice and hallway are consistent instead of the patchwork of the past.  The hallways also appear much brighter. 

B0BFF6A0-CAB2-4CD8-B651-9520C9B18BA2.thumb.jpeg.5e56e25a2c853061100ff0dcc1d4e370.jpeg

3D0A4050-89AD-4198-B399-9EEAACBD5C28.thumb.jpeg.77203178296bd4709feae46db6a8dfd2.jpeg

The elevators have been mostly updated but the button panel and doors are original and a bit beat up. 

4AF13F64-5FD3-4054-B8A8-B8055583C9DA.thumb.jpeg.9a63e6487c223435bbb20217fdca4005.jpeg

3AC2FDB7-9E4B-4C0B-AD1A-AAB5B7E23B9D.thumb.jpeg.872a35456bf6527877d37d987b87ee13.jpeg

• Like 1

Re going by the Statue of Liberty when leaving Bayonne.  I sail on SM from Bayonne quite frequently and I think the last time we sailed by the Statue was 3 or 4 years ago.  It seems that it's rarely done anymore.

• Thanks 1

Jim,

Quick question about docking in Portland.  I know you're a "walker" but due to arthritis I am not!  Is it a long walk from the ship to the cruise port terminal in Portland?   I know "long walk" is a relatively broad term!  I'm taking from your posts that you are very happy with the Summit.

One last question:  Is Albert on board?  He's the gentleman that lives on Summit.  I didn't think I saw him in the picture from the Zenith luncheon.  I did, however, see a few folks who are Summit "regulars"!

Thanks.

Edited by jcpc

Saturday 

Well the lack of a dining table in Aqua is changing our patterns.   We have ALWAYS had breakfast in our room.  We are now going down to Retreat for breakfast each morning.   Really not that bad as I often had a full breakfast even though we never have a large breakfast at home. 

Retreat at has a beautiful beautiful buffet layout.    I have been having fresh berries and Greek yogurt.    Best yogurt I have ever had. 

505CD6F6-9756-4E02-B27F-0C3FB568507B.thumb.jpeg.1cc8a323fdf7d29cb1f128551c033e72.jpeg

B4BAA657-CB63-4909-ABDC-4AE7615E3691.thumb.jpeg.1800bc4cc9e55e5042b9b90137720106.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Jim,

Quick question about docking in Portland.  I know you're a "walker" but due to arthritis I am not!  Is it a long walk from the ship to the cruise port terminal in Portland?   I know "long walk" is a relatively broad term!  I'm taking from your posts that you are very happy with the Summit.

One last question:  Is Albert on board?  He's the gentleman that lives on Summit.  I didn't think I saw him in the picture from the Zenith luncheon.  I did, however, see a few folks who are Summit "regulars"!

Thanks.

Here’s a couple pictures.  Perfect timing for the question as we are still in port.  I would say the distance is about 2x the length of the ship, but is a ramp that can be steep depending on tides.  

87823B62-4FBC-455D-B9A1-470F98E81A57.thumb.jpeg.eba457e9aaee353c11340be5d0f4d22c.jpeg

9BB214CB-77E9-4276-8CA4-E4C97F40A824.thumb.jpeg.9964a1c53bae4b9adc5e4a964c07cb38.jpeg 

EADDF195-CD09-4FE0-882E-86EBABA57065.thumb.jpeg.b60b41ca384a4b84ddedfe5fcb925c51.jpeg

The staff were helping wheelchair bound guests. 

C3AEA198-94D6-4C7A-A133-CE40CA9B3AC8.thumb.jpeg.442c32a13e7880414ffec0e2a15deb1e.jpeg

Ive not seen Albert but will ask later today. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Perfect day in Portland with 70f weather and sunny skies.  We spent about 4 hours ashore just wandering.   Beautiful town. 

81BC9366-83F5-4283-8F44-7AB25BD242F6.thumb.jpeg.8ec4d6b1b39f6afae2fc212af3cafbaa.jpeg

D2F92485-055E-4FED-B256-E97BEA3884AB.thumb.jpeg.0f2fbace432c007a701ead60dfe515e7.jpeg

Eagles nest with baby chicks in it. 

FE5E3EFD-E1D4-43C5-94C1-B09D85C125CB.thumb.jpeg.5b1a2339a05b706ad4a1367f72cee088.jpeg20BD1897-C423-46E2-9D15-AC52036E7EF4.thumb.jpeg.1895021bc0739b007628c49319b871c7.jpeg

89C46A0B-A01A-4EB0-A35F-18FE35537093.thumb.jpeg.857728a4b42c44521ba810aae41b311c.jpeg

76B9748B-DB99-44EB-8A32-3FF37CA9C283.thumb.jpeg.2faac9800134b4697d06cf061b5dd86f.jpeg

This is the tour bus. 

E06C7FB7-9B6C-4D6A-920C-E8F37C205D3D.thumb.jpeg.f076e5f316558892b3f59fa81eefc144.jpeg

45A3A8FB-8B72-4579-9852-1CFBBBE20721.thumb.jpeg.3fa39a7a560e11e782f3f678a4e845e7.jpeg

99C4AF66-CBEC-4719-8858-F40A507D7963.thumb.jpeg.82d6b65ee69824bb5ad098bd40553d3c.jpeg

1BF0DE77-8142-46EB-887D-AB4261C81039.jpeg

D719F2C1-357E-4AD2-BE49-295E0ED9A3BA.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2