Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

Jim I am so excited to see you are cruising again and doing a live review. I was hoping someone was doing a live review on the Equinox, but I guess not. With Chicagopauls review wrapping up I was desperate for another live review. Thank you!!!

imhave never done a New England cruise so, will be very interested in your thoughts. 

Especially the lobster roll.

Norma

• Like 1

Following you guys again. We did the Independence Day sailing in the Summit last year and did a lot of those  ports. Boston on the 4th July was something else.

interested to hear about the refurb, as some of the public areas on the ship were looking tired

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks..looking forward to the updates info,

The itin we booked on Summit was a " must do".. we have.never been to Charleston and Celeb has a great fort tour that dh will enjoy...I will enjoy the gardens and old homes.

At Newport we have already done a Celeb tour that included a few of the mansions.  We had plenty of time for a pub lunch, shopping etc.  This time we will wander on our own. Great port,  Bermuda is too.

Can't wait for your review!

Charleston is a great city,  if I remember correctly isn't the cruise your on an overnight in the City.  Charleston is considered to be one of the most haunted cities in the country, if you can take one of the evening ghost tours.  Also, right in the center of the city is the old slave market. 

11 hours ago, yvrdave said:

The Lobster Shack is only open Fri - Sun, 11:30 - 6:00.  Unfortunately we'll be there on Thursday.  Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Within walking distance, there is a restaurant on the water called The Mooring.  Very good seafood.  Another choice which is outstanding is lunch at the Inn at Castle Hill.  It is not within walking distance.  Food is excellent and the views are just spectacular.  Outdoor dining there  is our choice in nice weather.  

36 minutes ago, keesar said:

Within walking distance, there is a restaurant on the water called The Mooring.  Very good seafood.  Another choice which is outstanding is lunch at the Inn at Castle Hill.  It is not within walking distance.  Food is excellent and the views are just spectacular.  Outdoor dining there  is our choice in nice weather.  

We are taking notes...We hope to book  the  Celebrity Colonial Walking Tour in Newport ..1 hr.. so lunch is on the agenda!

We will be overnight in Charleston.. Number 1 choice so far is the Fort Sumter  excursion with X...but other choices sound nice too..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are taking notes...We hope to book  the  Celebrity Colonial Walking Tour in Newport ..1 hr.. so lunch is on the agenda!

We will be overnight in Charleston.. Number 1 choice so far is the Fort Sumter  excursion with X...but other choices sound nice too..

Why book the Fort Sumter tour with Celebrity? You can book it on your own. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jcpc said:

Jim,

I wish you and Iain two wonderful sailings.  I board the ship on the 27th (the day you disembark).  I'm very excited about being back onboard Summit at the end of the month (I think it's my 27th sailing on SM!!  Guess you can say that I like that ship!!)    I've read some "good' and some "not so good" things about the newly refurbished Summit.  I'm very interested in reading your opinion of the ship.

I believe I was told that Danuta will be back onboard as Hotel Director beginning June 5th.  And Captain Ioannis is really a very nice guy - you'll like him I think.

Can't wait for you to start posting.  Wishing you safe air travels to Newark.

Now you must really like Summit.    I think the ship we have sailed most was Millennium.   She was the first ship we ever sailed and I still have a fond spot in my hear for her.

I've also read some really good things about the Summit Revolution and some not so good.  I will reserve making any comments on those until I have had the opportunity to experience the changes.   I will say that I really like the color pallet that was selected and really anxious to see it in person. 

Since it has been so long since we have been on Summit I don't think we have sailed with any of the officers before. 

I was happy to hear that Wanda, who has often been top cruiser will be aboard with us.  We met her a couple of cruises ago and really enjoy her.  

14 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Can’t wait to follow your next adventure. Welcome back to New England. 

We’re pretty sure that we want to be you guys when we grow up!

You have me chuckling.   A friend of our on Facebook asked if we had booked a permanent apartment on the ship.   Saying that, I believe there is a guy that lives on the Summit.   I've talked to a number of people who have met him.

I have to admit I am really getting excited about the cruise and need to kick our rear in gear.   We haven't started packing yet.

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks..looking forward to the updates info,

The itin we booked on Summit was a " must do".. we have.never been to Charleston and Celeb has a great fort tour that dh will enjoy...I will enjoy the gardens and old homes.

At Newport we have already done a Celeb tour that included a few of the mansions.  We had plenty of time for a pub lunch, shopping etc.  This time we will wander on our own. Great port,  Bermuda is too.

Can't wait for your review!

I think we may do a lot of the ports on our own for this trip.   Newport looks like a very walk-able city and I figure if we get too worn out we could always grab a Uber home.   Now all we have to do is hope for nice weather.

We have only been to Bermuda once (last fall) and found it a really nice island.    Since we will be there for so many days I suspect we will get out and explore it much more.    Iain is wanting to see the Pink Sand Beach. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Hi Jim. We connected via email. I am looking forward to meeting you on the ship and hopefully inviting you both to enjoy a cocktail on our suite. Safe travels.  Trish

Trish-

Looking forward to meeting you.   We are in cabin 9077.    We are off for Newark on Tuesday early.

10 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

Jim I am so excited to see you are cruising again and doing a live review. I was hoping someone was doing a live review on the Equinox, but I guess not. With Chicagopauls review wrapping up I was desperate for another live review. Thank you!!!

imhave never done a New England cruise so, will be very interested in your thoughts. 

Especially the lobster roll.

Norma

Hi Norma -

Good of you to come along.    Although we have never met face to face I feel like I really know. you.   This cruise has a really nice itinerary but the one that goes all they way to Montreal and the Fall Color is one I would also like to take.   We are really burnt out on the Caribbean so always looking for something new.

10 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Have a great trip.  And when you mention the weather here, you forgot to mention that we had a lot of rain in the last few weeks.  Very rare for May.

I want to be you when we retire.

You are correct.    We really did have a WET May didn't we?    It wasn't only rainy but cold for us also.  We are so spoiled with out weather that I hate brag about it too much.  

If feels like the summer pattern has finally settled in.   We have a marine layer (high fog) this morning but should burn off in the next hour.    I'm off shortly as Sunnyvale is having a Art's and Wine Festival this weekend.

9 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Following again! Jim I want to travel like you and Lain when I retire! When you are on the ship, could you please find out if they still offer a wine tasting called "World wine tasting"? Thanks in advance.

I'll be honest in saying that we never thought that retirement would be so much fun.   We both opted to retiring at 62 1/2 and have never regretted it.  

I'll check on all of the Wine Tastings for you and let you know what I find out.    We fly out early on Tuesday morning and will be overnighting at the Hilton Newark Airport.  I'm guessing we will grab an Uber to the port and plan on arriving around 12:30.

7 hours ago, bluwes said:

Following you guys again. We did the Independence Day sailing in the Summit last year and did a lot of those  ports. Boston on the 4th July was something else.

interested to hear about the refurb, as some of the public areas on the ship were looking tired

That would be an experience for sure.   I love fireworks.   

I'll make sure I post lots of pictures of the public areas.   I'm anxious to see the improvements to the Ocean View Cafe.  

4 hours ago, Groovybusybee said:

Pulling up a virtual chair Jim, I so enjoy your reviews. 

Making final payment this week on our Med cruise, so this will make it seem even closer.

regards Debbie 

Debbie, that is so exciting.    Final Payment really starts making a cruise to appear so much closer.   It always amazes me how quickly time flies after final.     You will be able to order your luggage tags shortly.

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Charleston is a great city,  if I remember correctly isn't the cruise your on an overnight in the City.  Charleston is considered to be one of the most haunted cities in the country, if you can take one of the evening ghost tours.  Also, right in the center of the city is the old slave market. 

Unfortunately we don't hit Charleston on our cruise.   We are basically just New England and Bermuda.    It seemed a little strange to book a back to back with virtually the same port but I'm sure we will enjoy.   So often we enjoy the ship more than the ports.

3 hours ago, keesar said:

Thanks for the recommendation.   We will definitely take a look.    I don't recall ever being in Newport so will be fun to just explore.   I worked for 6 months in Providence so know that area pretty well.   I really didn't get much time to sight-see as I would commute in on Sunday an fly home on Fridays.     Rhode Island is really a beautiful area of the country and looking forward to getting to know it better.  

32 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Can you please post how many formal nights? We are on the Summit 6/16/19 sailing (11 nights). 

I will post for sure once on board.    Normally there will be 3 Chic nights on cruises over 10 nights so expect this one to have 3.