Yikes! Better get your Med Cruise to Venice in soon

Paulinda

Why ban 2000 plus passenger ships from the entire Mediterranean because of one accident in Venice. Should the same logic apply to the entire Caribbean because a ship hit the pier in St Thomas?

Just now, Mickb said:

Why ban 2000 plus passenger ships from the entire Mediterranean because of one accident in Venice. Should the same logic apply to the entire Caribbean because a ship hit the pier in St Thomas?

Yes, the same everywhere, they destroy ports and tourism!  In the Caribbean they can go to their private island and spend a week there and then back to Miami, that's all they're good for..

• Like 1

Viking was involved in a horrific crash on the Danube that killed a bunch of people this week.

Two HAL ships played bumper cars in Vancouver last month.

Unfortunately bad things happen. 

• Like 1

If you haven't been around St. Marks square, looking out on the Giudecca Canal when a cruise ship passes by, you have no idea of the potential for accidents.  I mean, the sun was literally blotted out and the area became shade when the one Princess ship I saw came by and there is no room for any size of error.   I'm one of those who is firmly behind the banning of any cruise ship going up that part of the Canal.  Just go straight to the terminals.   Sorry if anyone misses their opportunity to go up the Canal - preservation of all of that historic canal front is far too important than someone's "check list" of things to do.  

As for the number of ships affecting the crowds - yes!   Spend a couple of days in Venice and you will see the amazing difference  between days when ships are in port.  And, yes, I feel the same with with ports anywhere, from Alaska to the Caribbean, to Europe.   Even the other week in Port Canaveral,  there were actually FIVE ships in port!  If I remember, it was 2 Disney, 2 Carnival, 1 NCL and 2 RCCL.  One of the ships actually had to dock at the cargo area because there wasn't enough piers at the cruise terminals.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Any bets on how long before a certain poster is here to explain how this is all Viking's fault and is part of a vast conspiracy?  🙄 

It was Viking's fault, captain arrested for negligence..

• Haha 1

Even though I have cruised from Venice myself, personally I’m wholly supportive of banning cruise ships from the canal. 

However, I’m baffled by the above poster that wishes all ships over 2000 pass ngers be banned from the med? I’m not a fan of those floating skyscrapers of RCCL etc but there are HAL ships and many others over 2000 passengers too. 

Maybe it is time to limit the amount of large ships docking on the same day though ... a port that is over loaded with people is no fun for anyone 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

It was Viking's fault, captain arrested for negligence..

Sorry, forgot that I was on the HAL board, not Viking Ocean.

In any case, I was not referring to the Viking River Cruise, but to someone who has only posted conspiracy explanations that blames Viking Ocean for anything.

Banning ships that carry 2,000+ passengers from the Med will only drive up prices, and in many cases force us to either sail on older ships or smaller, high end ships.  That said, I can see a port like Venice putting in place some restrictions.

Roz

It's not just Venice. Santorini cannot handle the hordes of cruise ship passengers (with its limited ways of reaching the top of the cliff, or other parts of the island), and Dubrovnik has become unpleasantly crowded when many ships are in port together.

The problem is that no one wants to say no to the revenue. But in their greed to maximize their takings, they are destroying the very charms that make people want to visit.

• Like 1

We sail out of Venice in late September 2020 on Viking Ocean, a much smaller (930 max passengers) cruise ship, so we be just fine. Its also the off season for the Greek Islands  will avoid the huge summer cruise crowds, which is why we chose VO in late September.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Yes, the same everywhere, they destroy ports and tourism!  In the Caribbean they can go to their private island and spend a week there and then back to Miami, that's all they're good for..

What an unpleasant attitude!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We sail out of Venice in late September 2020 on Viking Ocean, a much smaller (930 max passengers) cruise ship, so we be just fine. Its also the off season for the Greek Islands  will avoid the huge summer cruise crowds, which is why we chose VO in late September.

It's the Viking Ocean, anything can happen..

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Plus River Countess

In this photo released by the Italian Firefighters, the MSC Opera cruise liner, a towering cruise ship, strikes a tourist river boat, left, Sunday, June 2, 2019, in Venice, Italy, injuring at least five people.

Thanks for the photos,Copper.. hard as they are to look at.  It truly is painful to see the river boat and MSC in such a terrible circumstance.

I just heard this  story on our 6:00 pm   Boston news but they did not name the cruise line... too busy stressing it happened in Venice.  🙂

A relief  to hear anything on network news other than politics.  image.png.88e371998eafa7185ff0c9f531c68d11.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1