Cuba cruises nixed

voyageur9

1 hour ago, BethKel said:

Hmmm, I just got a note saying essentially "hold tight, we'll let you know by tomorrow at 6pm":

Today, the United States government shared that educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted and you may be wondering how this affects your upcoming cruise. Please know, we are assessing what these changes mean for all of our future Cuba cruises and we kindly ask for your patience. We promise to share an update with you and your Travel Partner by tomorrow, June 6th, at 6:00 PM EST. 

When is your cruise?

We're booked on the Veendam for Dec 17.  Of course, we're screwed.  All I can think about are our scheduled tour guides and how screwed they are.  I'll eat and pay our electric bill and enjoy a cell phone and drive a car anyway.  They may not.

I am so disappointed. We're going on the Grand Voyage to South America in January, so I shouldn't let this bother me so much, but golly, I am just sick.  I wanted to do this so much.

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I take that language to mean that HAL could do a cruise that was announced but could not accept new bookings which would presumably make most such voyages economically impossible.

Roy

And, if you are an American citizen holding a U.S. Passport and currently on a cruise / or will be on a cruise scheduled to stop in Cuba, do you think you will be allowed to go ashore?   

8 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Good

Happy to read anyone who has made a deposit for a cruise likely will be able to have their cruise  to   Cuba.

Depending, of course, upon HAL's reaction to this announcement and  whether they will choose to continue their cruises to Cuba.  (proba bly back to  how much money  they may have been making/ losing on those cruises.

image.png.3750972573b5825bf544a3d49638b664.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Are you sure about that?  It’s doubtful.

4 hours ago, asebastian said:

Ah well, as it's also on our list, need to ditch the cruise and fly from Mexico or Canada direct to Cuba. The world does not revolve around American foreign policy or Trump's twitter wish.

Yes, come ahead to Canada!  We Canadians have enjoyed Cuba for many decades.  Beautiful island and lovely people.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We are booked on the Veendam Authentic Cuba cruise on Oct. 30th. Carnival is offering full refunds on their Cuba cruises (posted today) and I hope Holland does, too. The only reason we booked the cruise was because it had two Cuba destinations and we only got to do Havana on our Carnival cruise to Cuba last year. We have the Nieuw Statendam booked for Dec. 1st, so losing the Veendam won't be a hardship (no pun intended) to our cruising schedule this year.

14 hours ago, wyobean said:

What I was getting at is that some  ships for next year and beyond may just have started getting reservations. They could easily be 1/4 full. I didn’t intend to cut off your post. I just hit the quote button.

Aww

🙂   I see.

no problem

image.png.23327cfc89ae175619cc76619a619040.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

1 hour ago, sprockie said:

Yes, come ahead to Canada!  We Canadians have enjoyed Cuba for many decades.  Beautiful island and lovely people.  

I think I read that flights from U.S. will continue.. for those qualified to travel to Cuba.

image.png.1931956cd3535932f9f7f2d16b9cd9c3.png

sailnoordam@gmail.com

15 hours ago, madera1 said:

thanks for the update....Will see how long  before Holland America announces changes.

Oceania has pulled all cuban cruises as of this morning   I would assume NCL and Regent too as they are all the same company.

Without being political in a partisan way, I feel strongly as a traveler that, absent some overriding and verifiable concern for my safety (such as in Syria or Afghanistan), I should be allowed to travel where I want.  

In every country I've ever visited, the majority of the people that one meets and interacts with are just like people anywhere: they are trying to get along the best they can, and they may or may not agree with their government's policies -- many of them have no real say in the matter. 

By travel, we gain a wider understanding of the world outside our own back yard, and we see through our own eyes rather than through the filter of the media or politicians. At the same time, we (as travelers) can also open up the eyes of others. It is hard to hold on to stereotypes and prejudices when you are sharing a meal or swapping stories with someone from another country or culture.

As it is, travel restrictions are being applied randomly, not uniformly. Warn and inform us of travel precautions, but let us decide whether or not to make the trip.

• Like 24

Cruisemom42 -   What a good post and it makes sense.   We were in Havana last month and brought items to hand out to people (feminine hygiene products, toothbrushes and toothpaste, soaps, children's items etc.).   They were gratefully received by everyone we met.   

We went on the HOHO bus and toured the city as well by walking in different areas (my on my scooter and hubby by foot).    We enjoyed our two days there immensely and hope others get to go.    As a Canadian we have no problem to just hop on a plane and visit.    

• Like 2

From the HAL Web site

Cuba Travel Update – 6/5/2019 – 8:30 AM PDT

Carnival Corporation confirmed today that due to changes in U.S. policy, the company will no longer be permitted to sail to Cuba effective immediately. Currently, Carnival Corporation is sailing to Cuba on Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America Line, and Seabourn has been scheduled to begin sailing in November to Cuba. Additional details for currently booked cruises will be provided directly to booked guests and their travel advisors by the end of today. We appreciate guest patience while we work to confirm new special pricing and replacement ports of call. Finalized details will be provided on or before June 15.

Our TA has already informed us of what CCLis doing by just adding another different Caribbean port and giving $100 OBC.

With HAL making their decision known tomorrow, I'm sure it will be similar. The four of us will just cancel the cruise. Will probably rebook with Celebrity on a better itinerary. It is what it is!

3 hours ago, cowmilker said:

What about ports like St. Petersburg, or Shanghai?  Are they okay?

In Cuba, you can do as you please, hire a guide yourself on the spot, wander about alone.  In Russia, you have to be with a tour guide, going where the tour guide (government-approved) tells you to go and seeing what s/he shows you and listening to his/her government-approved spiel.

I can board a plane right now and fly to China and tour the whole country, cheap.  It's cheap because it's government-subsidized.

Why is Cuba different?

Cuba is not different.  

We choose to not spend our travel $$$ in countries that, in our opinion, are oppressive......

Being a Floridian, Cuba is a bit more closer to home and personal.  We have many friends whose family members have suffered under the Cuban dictator and their first hand accounts of what happened is so chilling that I am not comfortable supporting Cuba with my measly travel dollars.  And we support our friends efforts to one day see a free Cuba and the Cubans we know in Florida, want no part in subsidizing the current Cuban government.

I do not judge you in your travel choices and wish you all the best in your travels, wherever you choose to go.....

• Like 8

We're booked on Oceania and I was told by them that the new itinerary would be released in a day or two.  If we do not like it, we get a full refund.  They are also going to offer a huge discount if we stay onboard.  But for us, who have waited 40+ years to see Cuba, this is beyond disappointing.  And a disgrace by an administration that should have put their focus on much more pressing matters instead of the continuing need to undo everything the previous administration did!  This move really helps no one. 

Edited by Wyoming2010
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm glad I went to Cuba last NYE. We gave our money to a tour director and the guide he provided for us. Wonder what happens to their income now.

My son and his fiance are booked on a cruise mid June on Majesty of the Seas and are still waiting for an answer from RYI for what port will be substituted for Cuba. His cruise is sold out and all paid for, but I imagine they will not go to Cuba.

1 minute ago, cruiserking said:

Yes, the U.S. government has stopped all of us from traveling to Cuba, many of whom have paid their full fare. Now these Cuba cruises are being re-routed to the Western Caribbean. It's idiotic and uncalled for. Just a spiteful way to eradicate everything that was achieved years ago by another administration. 

Jonathan

Are you sure? You are still allowed to fly or even swim there if you are capable, just not cruise.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Without being political in a partisan way, I feel strongly as a traveler that, absent some overriding and verifiable concern for my safety (such as in Syria or Afghanistan), I should be allowed to travel where I want.  

In every country I've ever visited, the majority of the people that one meets and interacts with are just like people anywhere: they are trying to get along the best they can, and they may or may not agree with their government's policies -- many of them have no real say in the matter. 

By travel, we gain a wider understanding of the world outside our own back yard, and we see through our own eyes rather than through the filter of the media or politicians. At the same time, we (as travelers) can also open up the eyes of others. It is hard to hold on to stereotypes and prejudices when you are sharing a meal or swapping stories with someone from another country or culture.

As it is, travel restrictions are being applied randomly, not uniformly. Warn and inform us of travel precautions, but let us decide whether or not to make the trip.

I agree. People who travel have a better idea on what's happening in the world.

• Like 1