Almost Live from Prinsendam's Farewell Voyage

TiogaCruiser

June 21, 2019 Trondheim, Norway

As I write to update you I am sitting in Explorer’s Lounge, eating a chocolate.* Adagio is playing (Pachabel’s Canon) and we are now at sea, having left the Trondheim Fiord about 30 minutes ago. And so I am here to tell you about our day. 🙂

Sail away through the fiords took around 2 hours and we had some lovely views of the water and farm and rock lined shores. You could even smell cattle, which was interesting, as we were not that close to shore. Around us small localized rain showers could be seen, with one a ways off our stern that made a lovely rainbow. Except for the misty fog outside, it is still quite light, and I don’t believe we will be seeing “darkness” for a couple of days. 

This morning began with some light rain. We had chosen the Thamshavn Copper Mine and Narrow Gauge Train ride, which took most of the day. Leaving the harbor, we took a drive through the town with our guide pointing out many of the points of interest. Then we headed out along one fiord, then another, past farms, villages, through several tunnels which had been installed due to frequent avalanches, and finally the mine. Donning hardhats, we entered the mine. Activity began in this mine in the 1600s, with workers building fires to help release the rock. After the fire had burned out and the mine had cooled, workers entered and chipped out the ore. They then carried the promising rocks out to be crushed and processed. The main ore that was taken was copper, though other useful heavy metals were also removed from it. It was traded with other countries, and a lot of it ended up in Amsterdam.

Next we boarded the railway and rode about 40 minutes to Fannram. Having been built in 1908, the railway boasted the first electric train in Europe and was used for passenger service until the 1970s. As both DH and I like historical trains, we really enjoyed this excursion and were quite happy outside on the platform between the cars.

Back in town we stopped for a look outside the Nidaros Cathedral. Many from the tour, including ourselves, decided to stay on and walk back to the ship from there. This gave us a chance to go inside. Pictures from inside were not allowed, so I have none to share, but it was an amazing experience to walk through the building. The cathedral was built over St. Olav (the patron saint of Norway) grave in 1070. It is the place that Norway’s kings are consecrated and many people make pilgrimages there (along the line of Camino de Santiago), but smaller. It is shared by several denominations for services and also for cultural events. Over the years it has undergone restoration several times, and they are now focusing on the lighting. 

We stopped at the gift shop for a light lunch, splitting a ham sandwich and a piece of ginger cake with currants, and a chocolate chip cookie. The walk back to the ship took less than 30 minutes. On the way we stopped at another church (built in 1635).

*I haven’t seen chocolates in an Explorer’s in several years. This one is the chocolate bar with the crispy stuff in it. I’m quite happy with these, but will be even more impressed if the truffles make an appearance. Does anyone know where else they may hide them on P’Dam?

9A3FF665-25DA-4D81-B281-1A5E7244A607.jpeg

92C8CF2B-3BF6-4647-98E4-E87BE179D3C6.jpeg

ACBA6230-B02B-4767-8A83-1E95C342B9C6.jpeg

53E02F4D-8C74-41C5-AD0E-F5CC17F85CDC.jpeg

882AA28C-E330-402F-87CD-B9D605C3717E.jpeg

E2430BC4-26FF-49E0-BDF2-0FF3ACF3A13B.jpeg

C318081F-9758-4E6B-A3DA-882181B2D33B.jpeg

1320A990-ABD9-42BC-84B1-9D939E9C39EA.jpeg

8DB35DDC-FFC3-4837-B62A-D7359009DEB6.jpeg

4D345024-DD04-424C-86D6-2B0D842BA9DC.jpeg

183D2D3F-01B6-4F9B-8A6D-CDBB1FF57401.jpeg

380116DF-72A1-4008-BE3A-522A1C3927E6.jpeg

008B3809-7566-469B-B7D3-FFAE1A0339C8.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I haven’t seen chocolates in an Explorer’s in several years. This one is the chocolate bar with the crispy stuff in it. I’m quite happy with these, but will be even more impressed if the truffles make an appearance. Does anyone know where else they may hide them on P’Dam?

They will be in the Crow’s Nest (and Ocean Bar IIRC)  on the night where the chocolate extravaganza is offered.

For the regular nights, the Explorer’s Lounge is the best spot for chocolate in my experience.  

Great pics!  Enjoy the chocolate 😄 

In March, we had chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge every evening after dinner.  They were set up on a trolley just outside the Java Cafe.  Truffles and all, but mainly the dark or white "chef's hat".  

This all brings back memories of the last "Grand" on the Prinsendam in South America.  Captain Schuchman was in tears at the farewell!  

Way back on the Grand South America we were told the ship models in the Explorers Lounge and Oak Room were going to be removed and taken to other HAL ships.  Has that happened yet or are they still there?

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Way back on the Grand South America we were told the ship models in the Explorers Lounge and Oak Room were going to be removed and taken to other HAL ships.  Has that happened yet or are they still there?

Roy

I’ll go look tonight to see if they are still there. My understanding is the models go with the ship, but I could be wrong....

• Thanks 1

Just got back from Canaletto. At one point 3 orcas jumped in unison across our wake, a few hundred feet from our stern. 

On returning to to our room we had special books about Prinsendam, with reflections by Captain Dag. 

Have these been available previously, or are they new?

(Which brings up a guess about something coming up on our last sea day, after the farewell....)

DAAE59EA-2852-49DC-8CC8-4962C7CBF5A2.jpeg

88A60828-0F33-450C-B1B1-F136E4A8D6FF.jpeg

07D1B977-53CE-4101-95D1-5241A85D61F2.jpeg

EFF99CCD-8E9F-4E90-A799-994E344F5AA5.jpeg

CADC081A-E360-4D52-9B2F-03649A4367AE.jpeg

A01277E2-83DB-4CDC-B19D-011EFD1E2412.jpeg

C5A54A03-BBF9-4B84-8893-06706184353D.jpeg

B29F692C-5273-4E5B-A5B5-CCCAE7CABE0F.jpeg

D6C92E5B-59CE-48CC-A788-6B5AB510B1C4.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just got back from Canaletto. At one point 3 orcas jumped in unison across our wake, a few hundred feet from our stern. 

On returning to to our room we had special books about Prinsendam, with reflections by Captain Dag. 

Have these been available previously, or are they new?

(Which brings up a guess about something coming up on our last sea day, after the farewell....)

DAAE59EA-2852-49DC-8CC8-4962C7CBF5A2.jpeg

88A60828-0F33-450C-B1B1-F136E4A8D6FF.jpeg

07D1B977-53CE-4101-95D1-5241A85D61F2.jpeg

EFF99CCD-8E9F-4E90-A799-994E344F5AA5.jpeg

CADC081A-E360-4D52-9B2F-03649A4367AE.jpeg

A01277E2-83DB-4CDC-B19D-011EFD1E2412.jpeg

C5A54A03-BBF9-4B84-8893-06706184353D.jpeg

B29F692C-5273-4E5B-A5B5-CCCAE7CABE0F.jpeg

D6C92E5B-59CE-48CC-A788-6B5AB510B1C4.jpeg

Laura, I knew about them and they are only for guests on the last cruise.   I was told it was one for each guest.  Is this true, or is it only one per cabin if you are married

17 minutes ago, HomeLover said:

Laura, I knew about them and they are only for guests on the last cruise.   I was told it was one for each guest.  Is this true, or is it only one per cabin if you are married

We’re very married and we got 2. (Thanks for the heads up. I’m hiding them!) 😉

We both thought we saw them for sale the first day with the other PDam souvenirs they were selling out (at 75% off). It was a real score if you are a size small..... Women’s. 

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

The only ship model in the Explorers Lounge is of a gondola. I am currently sitting in the Oak Room and see no model of any kind here. I’m not seeing a surface that seems bare, so where was the model normally displayed? There are some book shelves that are partially filled, but they don’t look like anything is missing. The fireplace has 2 candlesticks and a picture of the King and Queen.

3BF3DBFD-5D59-49F1-86FF-3296E7A84C33.jpeg

5AA0541D-64E9-4DA7-8D58-670FA1F3EBA4.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The only ship model in the Explorers Lounge is of a gondola. I am currently sitting in the Oak Room and see no model of any kind here. I’m not seeing a surface that seems bare, so where was the model normally displayed? There are some book shelves that are partially filled, but they don’t look like anything is missing. The fireplace has 2 candlesticks and a picture of the King and Queen.

3BF3DBFD-5D59-49F1-86FF-3296E7A84C33.jpeg

5AA0541D-64E9-4DA7-8D58-670FA1F3EBA4.jpeg

The model of the Royal Viking Sun (Prinsendam) is on deck12 .  Walk straight off the elevators, instead of turning toward the Crows Nest, and you will literally run into it!

Also, when I was there in April, they didn’t have much in Prinsendam merchandise, except small!!

Lynn

Edited by HomeLover

20 minutes ago, HomeLover said:

The model of the Royal Viking Sun (Prinsendam) is on deck12 .  Walk straight off the elevators, instead of turning toward the Crows Nest, and you will literally run into it!

Also, when I was there in April, they didn’t have much in Prinsendam merchandise, except small!!

Lynn

That one is still there.

More detail from today: 

There was Coffee with the Staff Captain, a Q and A with the Captain, and of course, Captain Albert’s third lecture. This afternoon we had a Block Party. Our section stayed out for a good hour talking. It was really nice.

For those who wanted to participate, there was a Polar Bear plunge in the pool. Even though the water was warm, they added bucket sized ice cubes.

We will be having no sunrise nor sunset for the next several days. Here is a picture of the midnight sun coming through the drapes in our cabin last night about 11:30 p

2F67B1DF-18B2-480D-91A2-B8CBC15A4D28.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

I'm trying to remember the location of the fireplace; is it on the wall between the Oak Room and the Library.  If so, I think at least 2 of the models were in the cases to the left of the fireplace (forward wall just against the outside wall).

oakships.jpg[\IMG]

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I've always been wondering the same thing about the magnificent ship models that were on Ryndam but so far have not had any luck in finding answers. 

Just now, bcummin said:

Captain Albert might know the answer to some of these questions.

Barbara

Great minds think alike; that's just what I was going to suggest!  He's a pretty knowledgeable guy, and so approachable. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

How nice on your gift of the books Tioga!

I didn’t see them in the shops on our sailing or I would have bought one.

Your pics are great and thanks for sharing the letter from Orlando.

As to the models - the one of the Viking Sun and several others are not included in the sale.  Just about everything on the ship goes to the new owners (even the left over wine), but the Viking Sun model does not.  It is to be removed by HAL according to what I was told on board in May.  (Both by Reisen planners and HAL staff).  It was being left in place as it would have taken away from enjoyment for other P’dam passengers had it been removed too early I was told.

Roy, IIRC, I didn’t see the models in the Oak Room so I think that they had been removed.  The remainder of the models including those in the Neptune Lounge were still in place.

You are indeed on a very special cruise Tioga.  I’m glad they are doing a good job of it for you 🙂 

• Thanks 1