I think the RCI family has lost another one

8 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Thought I read on CC News the other day that Celebrity now has 3 female captains and  yes Kate is going to The Edge.

They include Staff Captains in this count. Wendy Williams was Staff Captain as well, not Captain.

A fun fact I found a couple of days ago, when refreshing my mind on this topic for a Celebrity thread.  And, by the way, Ms. Williams was announced as being promoted to Captain at Celebrity, but Virgin obviously gave her a better offer.

Anyway, the fun fact is that, percentage wise, there are as many female cruise ship Captains as there are female airline Captains, around 3%.  That represents 9 ship and about 4000 airline Captains.

And the glass ceiling was broken 30 years ago, when the first female Captain was promoted on an ocean-going vessel.  Everyone makes a big deal about cruise ship Captains because of the visibility of the industry, but if it were not for the true pioneers who started their maritime careers back in the 70's and 80's, these women most likely wouldn't be where they are today.  Those women fought the stigma, the discrimination, and the infrastructure to allow women into the previously all male arena of maritime officers.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2019 at 5:54 AM, chengkp75 said:

A fun fact I found a couple of days ago, when refreshing my mind on this topic for a Celebrity thread.  And, by the way, Ms. Williams was announced as being promoted to Captain at Celebrity, but Virgin obviously gave her a better offer.

Anyway, the fun fact is that, percentage wise, there are as many female cruise ship Captains as there are female airline Captains, around 3%.  That represents 9 ship and about 4000 airline Captains.

And the glass ceiling was broken 30 years ago, when the first female Captain was promoted on an ocean-going vessel.  Everyone makes a big deal about cruise ship Captains because of the visibility of the industry, but if it were not for the true pioneers who started their maritime careers back in the 70's and 80's, these women most likely wouldn't be where they are today.  Those women fought the stigma, the discrimination, and the infrastructure to allow women into the previously all male arena of maritime officers.

And I hope this thread doesn't go south like the Celebrity thread, which led to it going "poof"

So far this thread seems light-hearted and keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.