Are extension cords allowed on O?

clo

We've been carrying extension cords with us when traveling for a few years now.  Our only recent cruise was on Hurtigruten and it never occurred to me to ask and it was a non-event.  Then I saw on another board here that some cruise lines don't allow them.  What about Oceania?  TIA

Just now, pinotlover said:

Our cabins have always had an abundance of electrical outlets. Exactly what are you doing that you believe an extension cord may be necessary ?

Thanks.  I like to dry/style my hair etc at my 'dressing table.' And sometimes hotels and ships don't have outlets away from the bathroom/bedside.  So we've been traveling with an extension cord and sometimes need it and not.  Does that "desk" area have an outlet?  TIA.  

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Clo; 

You will find the abundance of electrical outlets in Oceania cabins to be a delight. As Dorothy would say “ You’re not in Kansas anymore “!

Oh, goody gumdrops 🙂  Thanks a ton.  One fewer things to carry.  I'm a minimalist.

11 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks.  I like to dry/style my hair etc at my 'dressing table.' And sometimes hotels and ships don't have outlets away from the bathroom/bedside.  So we've been traveling with an extension cord and sometimes need it and not.  Does that "desk" area have an outlet?  TIA.  

In fact if I remember correctly, you can't use the hairdryer in the bathroom, but only out in the room, i.e. the vanity is a no-brainer.  But many people bring a small power bar with them if they have multiple electronic devices.

18 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

In fact if I remember correctly, you can't use the hairdryer in the bathroom, but only out in the room, i.e. the vanity is a no-brainer.  But many people bring a small power bar with them if they have multiple electronic devices.

That's just what I was hoping.  Thanks.  We have a very well equipped airbnb in BA.  Now need to look back at our hotel in Rio. I'd love to be able to eliminate the dryer.  Have a good day.

On a recent O cruise, we were advised at the safety briefing that devices were not to be connected to the outlets when not in use, and that cabin attendants would disconnect any that were connected when the rooms were being serviced.

They specifically mentioned charging devices while we were out of the cabin.

4 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Hijacking this thread! 😉

Are there outlets by the bed? If so, one side or both?

My DW uses s CPAP machine.

Also, I saw there are USB ports. Where are they placed?

On the R class, there is an outlet next to each side of the bed.  However, they use the two-hole European plug and are 220v.  So an adapter is necessary.

No USB on R class.

22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

On a recent O cruise, we were advised at the safety briefing that devices were not to be connected to the outlets when not in use, and that cabin attendants would disconnect any that were connected when the rooms were being serviced.

They specifically mentioned charging devices while we were out of the cabin.

We were told that on our most recent O cruise. One day I forgot to unplug my electric shaver. The attendants didn't unplug it but I made sure to comply with the rules for the remainder of the cruise.

We're getting ready to book on Riviera so have been watching video reviews. One review mentions that certain (larger) plugs don't do well on the desk outlet because of the light switch position. (the light turns on when the plug is used, so, not ideal for nighttime use/charging). 

53 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

On the R class, there is an outlet next to each side of the bed.  However, they use the two-hole European plug and are 220v.  So an adapter is necessary.

No USB on R class.

I guess I should have been more specific. We'll be on the Insignia. Not sure what class that would be.

1 minute ago, Guindalf said:

I guess I should have been more specific. We'll be on the Insignia. Not sure what class that would be.

it is  an R class ship along with Nautica, Sirena & Regatta

19 hours ago, clo said:

We've been carrying extension cords with us when traveling for a few years now.  Our only recent cruise was on Hurtigruten and it never occurred to me to ask and it was a non-event.  Then I saw on another board here that some cruise lines don't allow them.  What about Oceania?  TIA

Not a problem.   Bring as many extension cords as you need.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

No USB on R class.

During the “Next” refurbishment USB plugs were installed on Insignia.

6 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Hijacking this thread! 😉

Are there outlets by the bed? If so, one side or both?

My DW uses s CPAP machine.

Also, I saw there are USB ports. Where are they placed?

On Marina, all the plugs by the beds need European plugs.  There also are plugs on the TV set my husband always used to recharge his camera battery. 

20 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not a problem.   Bring as many extension cords as you need.

But don't bring your own hair dryer/blower because that is NOT allowed.

Our last O cruise, the attendants were proactive on disconnecting anything connected to the outlets when not in the cabin.   That included iPads, PC's or anything that was charging.

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

But don't bring your own hair dryer/blower because that is NOT allowed.

Our last O cruise, the attendants were proactive on disconnecting anything connected to the outlets when not in the cabin.   That included iPads, PC's or anything that was charging.

I've never heard about the hair dryer exclusion. The only thing I can find prohibiting them from the Oceania website in prohibited items is this;

Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

Is that what you are referring to? I know my wife always brings hers and had no idea we were breaking the rules. As common as a hair dryer is I would think they would have added it to the list to reduce confusion. I know my wife also brings her curling iron which would fall under this also. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't travel without it. 

How about it ladies, do you bring your own?

• Like 1

From the Oceania FAQs:

"Each stateroom has 2-110 volt outlets and 2-220 volt outlets which can be used for items such as battery chargers, hair dryers, razors and personal hygiene items."

Edited by 1985rz1

52 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've never heard about the hair dryer exclusion. The only thing I can find prohibiting them from the Oceania website in prohibited items is this;

Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

Curious - just how could you have a hair dryer that does NOT have a "heating element"??

And note the "not limited to".

O provides a hair dryer - that one you can use at the desk.

I used to take my hair dryer  on the R ships as I did not like those on the wall ones when my hair was longer

now I just air dry my hair  ..no need for a dryer

If they changed the rules  I was not aware of it either 😲