Anytime dining.

CMMC

You're all so incredibly helpful, I'm cheeky enough to ask another question! I hear that there's an 'anytime dining' option on Celebrity, between 6pm and 9pm and I wondered if anyone out there has done it, and if you'd recommend? Also, do you need to book tables in advance if you go for it?

Many thanks, from this first time cruiser. 

The last few cruises on Royal Caribbean and Holland America my family of three have done Anytime or My Time Dining. We usually have dinner around 8:00PM and request our own table. If we like our servers on the first night  we on most occasions will ask to be seated in the same area for the rest of the cruise. Normally if you want to be seated in the same area and be served by the same employees the Dining Room Reservation Managers will ask that the reservation be either at 6:00PM or 8:00PM. That allows for each table to be used at least two times during Dining Room Service. If you don’t care where you will be seated or are willing to share a table with other passengers you will have the option to arrive anytime during the dinner service. If you decide on Traditional Dining you have the option of either Early Seating or Late Seating. Early Seating is normally 6:00PM when they first open and Late Seating is usually 8:00PM. That gives the servers adequate time to conduct normal service. You need to arrive at your scheduled time or no later than five or ten minutes late. Over the years I have only witnessed one Carnival Dining Room Manager on the Carnival Valor close the doors to passengers after dinner service started fifteen minutes earlier. That same Manager refused service to a few passengers that were improperly dressed. In over forty plus cruises since I got hooked in May 1983 did I ever witness a Dining Room Manager refuse service.

• Like 2

With Anytime Dining on Celebrity you can make reservations in advance in the MDR as desired or simply show up and wait (usually not more than up to 10 minutes or so) for the first available table.  If you are willing to share a table with others seating is usually less of a wait if you don't have reservations.  You can request the same table and waitstaff each night and they will usually be able to accommodate you. 

Specialty restaurants require reservations to assure a seating as desired, but if they are not busy you can also wait for the first available table without reservations.

We prefer the flexibility of this over the traditional fixed early or late seating as it allows us to adjust our dining preferences each night based on each day's activities.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Corby114 said:

The last few cruises on Royal Caribbean and Holland America my family of three have done Anytime or My Time Dining. We usually have dinner around 8:00PM and request our own table. If we like our servers on the first night  we on most occasions will ask to be seated in the same area for the rest of the cruise. Normally if you want to be seated in the same area and be served by the same employees the Dining Room Reservation Managers will ask that the reservation be either at 6:00PM or 8:00PM. That allows for each table to be used at least two times during Dining Room Service. If you don’t care where you will be seated or are willing to share a table with other passengers you will have the option to arrive anytime during the dinner service. If you decide on Traditional Dining you have the option of either Early Seating or Late Seating. Early Seating is normally 6:00PM when they first open and Late Seating is usually 8:00PM. That gives the servers adequate time to conduct normal service. You need to arrive at your scheduled time or no later than five or ten minutes late. Over the years I have only witnessed one Carnival Dining Room Manager on the Carnival Valor close the doors to passengers after dinner service started fifteen minutes earlier. That same Manager refused service to a few passengers that were improperly dressed. In over forty plus cruises since I got hooked in May 1983 did I ever witness a Dining Room Manager refuse service.

Good for him.  They should have given him a big raise and a promotion.

DON

12 hours ago, Corby114 said:

Thank you, this is great information, very kind of you to share!

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, CMMC said:

You're all so incredibly helpful, I'm cheeky enough to ask another question! I hear that there's an 'anytime dining' option on Celebrity, between 6pm and 9pm and I wondered if anyone out there has done it, and if you'd recommend? Also, do you need to book tables in advance if you go for it?

Many thanks, from this first time cruiser. 

Yes, we have done it for hundreds of nights (most recently 3 weeks ago on the Summit).  There are pros and cons to "anytime" vs fixed dining but no right or wrong.  On Celebrity you can make reservations for a specific time or just walk-in.  The walk-ins and those who reserve are generally split into two lines at the door where they check-in to get seated.  If you want a 2 top (table for 2) it is likely that you will experience a longer wait and may even be given a beeper so you can be called when your table is ready.   We prefer to share larger tables (its fun to meet new folks and socialize) and if you tell the Maitre'd that you want to share a large table you will usually get seated relatively quickly.  On our most recent cruise (Summit) those who made reservations were not seated any faster then those of us who did not bother to make a reservation.  Since this is your first time using Anytime you might want to make a reservation one night and try another night with no reservation.

Hank

• Like 1

If you want to book times in advance do traditional dining.  You get the same dinner time, the same waiter & the same seat every night. 

Having to book a table in advance defeats the purpose of ATD which is eat when you are hungry

We cruised with Marella and all passengers do Anytime dining. There are no fixed times other than the MDR opening hours. The shows are at 8.30pm and 10.30pm so found a lot of folks dined at 6.30 to go to the early show, we would amble down to the MDR around 8.10 after pre dinner drinks and get a 2 top no problem odd times we were given a pager to take to the bar next door but most times it was less than 10mins wait. We then had a leisurely dinner b4 walking to the opposite end of the ship to the theatre for the 10.30 show. Something Marella do really well. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trish1c said:

Having to book a table in advance defeats the purpose of ATD which is eat when you are hungry

No it doesn't.  It is not necessary to make reservations with Anytime Dining, but it is an option if desired.

Anytime dining provides the flexibility of dining whenever you want v having a fixed early or late seating time.  Making a reservation only assures no waiting for the times you desire on any given day.  You can show up anytime you want without a reservation but just may have to wait a little while for a table.  This is just like any land base restaurant that accepts reservations.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, paul929207 said:

Princess says Anytime Dining is like eating at a fine restaurant at home. I don't know about you, but I make reservations for a nice place at home.

Not sure we would compare Princess to any fine restaurant.  However, you might consider that one thing all the luxury cruise lines have in common is that you do not need reservations for dining.  You just show up during the open hours and you are seated.  On Princess, which is not a luxury line,  it is the same.  We simply show up when we want to eat and are seated without much delay (because we prefer to share large tables we are usually seated faster then many in the reservations line). 

You might ask, why would we not want to make reservations?  It is simply because real time circumstances might change our dining time.  For example, we might be enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail with some other cruisers and enjoy the conversation.  No reason to leave the lounge because of a reservation.  And if some of those others happen to also be in open dining we might ask them to join us for dinner.  Over the years we have formed many fun tables with folks we meet right before dinner at a bar.   Yes, you are right that at many land based restaurants one must make an advance reservation.  One nice thing about cruising on most lines is that it is not necessary.  If one chooses to obligate themselves to a certain time and table size then reservations are fine.   And for those of us who are more the "free spirit" types the system also accommodates our wishes.

Hank

• Like 3