Ever have fantastic, fun, interesting table mates?

Tonopah

The discrepancy between the awful and the great table mates threads is simply a reflection on human nature and also fits the pattern of Cruise Critic commenting in general. We seem to be more eager to inform others of our negative experiences.  My great experiences far away the two boors who introduced themselves as "fascinating people."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The discrepancy between the awful and the great table mates threads is simply a reflection on human nature and also fits the pattern of Cruise Critic commenting in general. We seem to be more eager to inform others of our negative experiences.  My great experiences far away the two boors who introduced themselves as "fascinating people."

👍 x 10

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I agree, although as was mentioned previously in both threads, controversy and the awkward situations will always trump nice in entertainment value.

The times had with bad tablemates will always have a better story to tell than the we met some nice people (which happens much more often) and now we are life long friends (which has happened numerous times for us).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

From Tonopah in the other thread about table mates.

"Current score:

Awful Table Mates Thread - 14 pages

Wonderful Table Mate Thread - 2 pages

Mind you, the ATMT had a two day head start, but it’s still pulling away..."

I could have made a contribution to the awful table mates thread, but it is a tale that I have shared on CC more than once and does not need to be repeated.

I have enjoyed so many more enjoyable table mates during my cruises that the one really negative experience--and it was solely my fault for causing me to have to experience that for the duration of the cruise--far overshadows the pleasant people.  Such as:  seated at a table for 6 on a Princess Cruise with a couple and three children, two of whom were teenagers and one was a pre-teen.  First night:  recognizing my "situation", my initial reaction was "how is this going to turn out?"  It turned out very well.  The family were good conversationalists, the children ate quickly and were off to do "their things", and Mother and Father and I enjoyed good conversations and even lingered over dessert/coffee at the end of the dinner.

I do still wonder why the the Maitre d' ever assigned me to that type of table.  What was he thinking at the time? 

58 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I could have made a contribution to the awful table mates thread, but it is a tale that I have shared on CC more than once and does not need to be repeated.

I have enjoyed so many more enjoyable table mates during my cruises that the one really negative experience--and it was solely my fault for causing me to have to experience that for the duration of the cruise--far overshadows the pleasant people.  Such as:  seated at a table for 6 on a Princess Cruise with a couple and three children, two of whom were teenagers and one was a pre-teen.  First night:  recognizing my "situation", my initial reaction was "how is this going to turn out?"  It turned out very well.  The family were good conversationalists, the children ate quickly and were off to do "their things", and Mother and Father and I enjoyed good conversations and even lingered over dessert/coffee at the end of the dinner.

I do still wonder why the the Maitre d' ever assigned me to that type of table.  What was he thinking at the time? 

Not sure they were thinking anything but I need to place a single with this 5.

49 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure they were thinking anything but I need to place a single with this 5.

You are probably correct.  I am under the assumption that the Maitre d's on all ships have some demographic information available to assist them in their fixed dining assignments.  In this specific instance, I don't recall the details other than all of us had a Princess Cruise history.  But, the age difference?  A solo traveler with a family?  He could have been created an issue if my table had not quickly "jelled".  Why would he do so for himself?

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

You are probably correct.  I am under the assumption that the Maitre d's on all ships have some demographic information available to assist them in their fixed dining assignments.  In this specific instance, I don't recall the details other than all of us had a Princess Cruise history.  But, the age difference?  A solo traveler with a family?  He could have been created an issue if my table had not quickly "jelled".  Why would he do so for himself?

I do not know what information they would have but yeah, even with all the demographic type info, they can still get it wrong.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Carnival paired us with a Hispanic speaking couple and another couple that never showed up in the 4 night cruise - communications was very limited but the food was so bad no one lingered after supper.  Seemed like nice people but we could not really communicate.

It is a great topic..  we enjoy sharing tables...   it is one of things about cruising which is great....

We have found some of the nicest people in club class ... No I am not saying anything about this class thing...

But we always travel in a suite.... something not discussed in the MDR over dinner....

One evening in CC for Dinner we at a table for 8 three of the people were in the grand suite  they were often an upgrade

they were lovely people and their excitement was infectious.... all the table were happy for them... it was a couple travelling with the wife's sister.... we was a really funny person..... and way told the story about the wife's first reaction to the grand suite , as great    we would not stop OMG for ten minutes.....

the thing is we enjoy other peoples company over dinner... and quite a few time have been the last table out of CC

And after dinner order more wine.... it is a great way to spend the evening..

Cheers Don  

• Like 3

We could probably fill a small book with tales of interesting tablemates :).  But one of the most interesting of all was a couple we met on a Viking River cruise where it was open sitting.  The first night we were joined by another couple (both Texans) and immediately hit if off...and decided to keep dining together (with others) for most of the 14 day cruise.  After a couple of days we discovered that that man had been a Secret Service agent who retired as the #2 guy on the White House detail.  He had served 6 Presidents (Johnson through Bush 41) and told us some really interesting stories about his job.  In keeping with the tradition of the Secret Service it did not say anything negative about any of the first families but did share that his favorite First Family person was Lady Bird Johnson.  Apparently she went out of her way to treat the agents like they were family and it was appreciated.

Hank

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

@Hlitner his name didn't happen to be Clint, did it?  Mike Rowe had a very interesting story about meeting a similar man.

No, although he did mention Clint Hill (a pretty well known Secret Service Agent for those that read about the subject).    I tip my hat to these folks who work night and day and put their lives on the line every day.  I will tell you that the man we met was truly bigger then life.  He was a big guy, and although well into his 70s (my estimate) it was easy to imagine him still being able to deal with most issues.  It was fun to learn about the lighter side of their job such as when Lady Bird invited the agents to BBQs on their ranch.

Hank

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, although he did mention Clint Hill (a pretty well known Secret Service Agent for those that read about the subject).    I tip my hat to these folks who work night and day and put their lives on the line every day.  I will tell you that the man we met was truly bigger then life.  He was a big guy, and although well into his 70s (my estimate) it was easy to imagine him still being able to deal with most issues.  It was fun to learn about the lighter side of their job such as when Lady Bird invited the agents to BBQs on their ranch.

Hank

I have been to that ranch, of course, once there I wanted to go all the way.😋

it is a very interesting place to visit.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We could probably fill a small book with tales of interesting tablemates :).  But one of the most interesting of all was a couple we met on a Viking River cruise where it was open sitting.  The first night we were joined by another couple (both Texans) and immediately hit if off...and decided to keep dining together (with others) for most of the 14 day cruise.  After a couple of days we discovered that that man had been a Secret Service agent who retired as the #2 guy on the White House detail.  He had served 6 Presidents (Johnson through Bush 41) and told us some really interesting stories about his job.  In keeping with the tradition of the Secret Service it did not say anything negative about any of the first families but did share that his favorite First Family person was Lady Bird Johnson.  Apparently she went out of her way to treat the agents like they were family and it was appreciated.

Hank

Love this.