Sad and frustrated and I haven’t even left!

BA5

I am booked for the July 26 Alaska-Ovation of the Seas and have been religiously checking for Northstar and Ifly reservation on the website. Someone in my roll call told me to call and when I did, I was told that they are both booked up and absolutely no chance on going on either one except when I board, I can hope that someone cancels. What is the use of paying significant money for a cruise on a big, beautiful ship and no chance to use anything it offers. My boys will be so very disappointed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BA5 said:

I am booked for the July 26 Alaska-Ovation of the Seas and have been religiously checking for Northstar and Ifly reservation on the website. Someone in my roll call told me to call and when I did, I was told that they are both booked up and absolutely no chance on going on either one except when I board, --

So it never appeared on the website when you checked? I'd keep checking if the website is saying that it hasn't opened yet, regardless of what the phone person said. 

Download the app and try booking as soon as you get onboard. Also go to the desk in person (usually on the sports deck?) if that isn't working. They usually have some spots open once onboard but make it a priority to get there and ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marci22 said:

So it never appeared on the website when you checked? I'd keep checking if the website is saying that it hasn't opened yet, regardless of what the phone person said. 

Download the app and try booking as soon as you get onboard. Also go to the desk in person (usually on the sports deck?) if that isn't working. They usually have some spots open once onboard but make it a priority to get there and ask.

I already downloaded the app and it will be my priority. The only time I found it open and complimentary was one day for a party of one on a day we were already on an excursion. I work like most people so it is impossible to watch 24/7 but before and after work, I am on top of it.

On the Anthem it was pretty easy to do a walk-on.  You should check with them right away after boarding and I bet they'll make room on either.  On NorthStar you can often just get in line and people who sign up decide to do other things and the line often moves pretty quickly. iFly takes some time so you'll want to check to see if you could get into a session. It's a ton of fun so you should definitely try to do it.

As you know, their website is not always the best... and the support people have standard responses sometimes.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure you'll be fine if you reserve as soon as you get on board.

On my last cruise on ovation all the speciality restaurants were booked out but as soon as I got on board I made my preferred reservation without issue. I was told 50% is available to book online prior to departure and the half of slots are available on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tserface said:

On the Anthem it was pretty easy to do a walk-on.  You should check with them right away after boarding and I bet they'll make room on either.  On NorthStar you can often just get in line and people who sign up decide to do other things and the line often moves pretty quickly.

On Anthem, I did Northstar as a walk-up. Didn't have to wait too long either....maybe 10-15 minutes. Often times, a group may be running late and even if all of the groups reservations show up on time, there is usually room for an extra 2-3 people.

Besides, 13 yo boys will probably prefer bumper cars, if they are like I was when I was 13. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

On Anthem, I did Northstar as a walk-up. Didn't have to wait too long either....maybe 10-15 minutes. Often times, a group may be running late and even if all of the groups reservations show up on time, there is usually room for an extra 2-3 people.

Besides, 13 yo boys will probably prefer bumper cars, if they are like I was when I was 13. 😉

Yes-if we can get on the bumper cars but unfortunately for me, Ifly is their top pick. We will wait in line and hope for the best.

1 minute ago, BA5 said:

Yes-if we can get on the bumper cars but unfortunately for me, Ifly is their top pick. We will wait in line and hope for the best.

Immediately when you board, go to the box office and get in line.  While you are in line, register in the app and try to make your reservations while you are waiting in line.  We were able to do this on Anthem multiple times.  Try to register in the app while you are in the terminal in Seattle too.  Some have said they have been able to access the app in the terminal at Cape Liberty, might as well check that out in Seattle.  You might get it taken care of before you even board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BA5 said:

I am booked for the July 26 Alaska-Ovation of the Seas and have been religiously checking for Northstar and Ifly reservation on the website. Someone in my roll call told me to call and when I did, I was told that they are both booked up and absolutely no chance on going on either one except when I board, I can hope that someone cancels. What is the use of paying significant money for a cruise on a big, beautiful ship and no chance to use anything it offers. My boys will be so very disappointed. 

I don't like to use the word "lie", because that implies intentionality.  But the phone reps rarely know anything about such things.

Don't be discouraged pre-cruise. Most of the time, these things work out just fine once you are on board.

Here's an example.

On one cruise on the Anthem, I had pre-booked iFly.  I decided that the time for that appointment didn't suit me.  So I walked up to Deck 15 and into the iFly "office" and told the nice people there that I wanted to reschedule my session.  Not only did they do that on the spot, but there was someone standing there, asking for a slot, and he got mine.  

Things work out.

😊

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't like to use the word "lie", because that implies intentionality.  But the phone reps rarely know anything about such things.

Don't be discouraged pre-cruise. Most of the time, these things work out just fine once you are on board.

Here's an example.

On one cruise on the Anthem, I had pre-booked iFly.  I decided that the time for that appointment didn't suit me.  So I walked up to Deck 15 and into the iFly "office" and told the nice people there that I wanted to reschedule my session.  Not only did they do that on the spot, but there was someone standing there, asking for a slot, and he got mine.  

Things work out.

😊

You did the iFLY???? Really???? I didn't dare LOL

We’re onboard Ovation now. I can tell you that there were plenty of openings for both when we reserved as soon as we boarded.

As Bob said there’s Alaska. Ifly and Northstar didn’t seem important at all once we experienced the beauty of Alaska for the 4th time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skrapngal said:

You did the iFLY???? Really???? I didn't dare LOL

Absolutely.  I loved it.  Actually not scary at all.

One time when I was disrobing, a much older grandmother and her tiny (possibly great) grand daughter were getting into the flight suits.

I asked my instructor:  You let little kids do iFly?  (picturing her just flying up and out the top of the tube!!!!!  😮 )

He said, sure, we just adjust the airflow according to body weight.  (AHA! 😎 )

• Thanks 1

Don’t let not being able to pre  book get u too upset. You will be able to book iFly (great fun) and Northstar (the times when you don’t have to pay) once you are on board. Just try to book right after you board. Bumper car schedule will be on daily cruise planner and for that you do need to wait in line.

Edited by BEENSAILING
  • Thanks 1

No worries.  They will let you fly.  Go to the farthest point you can go aft on the starboard side, go into the office and book shortly after boarding.  They will absolutely book an appointment for you.  Book it as soon as possible, first sea day preferably (in case of weather and the Ifly being closed.). That way if it is cancelled they will reschedule you.

It is not scary.  It is a lot of fun.

It is probably better than the flowrider, but the commitment for it is even greater.  Both require dedication.

jc

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Absolutely.  I loved it.  Actually not scary at all.

One time when I was disrobing, a much older grandmother and her tiny (possibly great) grand daughter were getting into the flight suits.

I asked my instructor:  You let little kids do iFly?  (picturing her just flying up and out the top of the tube!!!!!  😮 )

He said, sure, we just adjust the airflow according to body weight.  (AHA! 😎 )

they held  my 5 year old granddaughter by her feet

• Like 1

BA5, I understand your frustration. I am a scheduler and can relax once I know everything is taken care of. We are on Ovation in August with our teens and this is the first cruise I am anxious about boarding early just to reserve things. Since the rest of my family are NOT morning people, I’m going to be challenge getting them up early enough to get out of the Seattle hotel and to the pier for the first boarding groups.  Normally I would go later and have a relaxing morning and wait until the  crowds have boarded. Now I’m willing to wait with the masses just for the chance at booking iFly, the Escape Room and specialty dining reservations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few North Star reservations are offered pre-cruise so they tend to go quickly.  The majority of reserved times are available for booking on board only.

It's also offered numerous times on a walk basis, no reservations allowed.

I went 8 times in Alaska.  Sometimes I was walking past, saw few in line so jumped in the queue.  By the last sea day I didn't bother even though the line was nearly empty, been there, done that, multiple times.  

• Like 1

We didn't have trouble booking Northstar on Anthem but it was not operating for the our cruise or the two cruises before ours. We were late leaving Bermuda waiting for the technician's flight to come in. We watched it being tested all week. So even if you secured a reservation there is no guarantee that it will be up and running.  Now I wonder if the ever got it fixed on Anthem. The Bionic bar was also in pieces with technician's working on the bionic bartenders. They did manage to get that up and running.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Flow rider is also on board.

Cool, a surf simulator that makes its own icebergs. Last time we were on an Alaskan cruise, the outdoor temperature never hit 70 degrees.:classic_ohmy:

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Last time we were on an Alaskan cruise, the outdoor temperature never hit 70 degrees.:classic_ohmy:

But riding the Flowrider as you sail away from the Dawes glacier would be awesome.

• Like 2