Dominican Republic

Jayne E

Oceania’s Caribbean cruises for late 2020 into 2121 are no longer visiting Philipsburg, St. Martin, a popular port. Instead many itineraries are stopping in the Dominican Republic.

Sure you all are aware of the suspicious deaths there lately, besides a very high crime rate. 

Tourism has fallen 74% in one month and airlines are permitting flight cancellations with no penalty. Obviously, there’s a problem there!

Oceania should remove this destination immediately!  We book an Oceania Caribbean cruise each winter season but will not book for next year, unless Dominican Republic is removed. 

1 hour ago, Jayne E said:

Oceania’s Caribbean cruises for late 2020 into 2121 are no longer visiting Philipsburg, St. Martin, a popular port. Instead many itineraries are stopping in the Dominican Republic.

Sure you all are aware of the suspicious deaths there lately, besides a very high crime rate. 

Tourism has fallen 74% in one month and airlines are permitting flight cancellations with no penalty. Obviously, there’s a problem there!

Oceania should remove this destination immediately!  We book an Oceania Caribbean cruise each winter season but will not book for next year, unless Dominican Republic is removed. 

You could always head to a better tropical location than the overrun Caribbean. Why not try French Polynesia? 

Been to DR four times, did not get off ship after First one.  And for those who can go to FP mote power to you...our lungs cannot do it as much as we want to go there. To each his own

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You could always head to a better tropical location than the overrun Caribbean. Why not try French Polynesia? 

FP is great, but the time it takes to get there is awful.   WE loved it but are so much better going from Miami to Miami.  

I would not worry about a one-day cruise port visit to Punta Cana.  However , I certainly am rethinking my plans to return next winter for a week at the fabulous all-inclusive Iberostar Bavaro.  Bavaro Beach is my favorite swimming beach, and I was so looking forward to my seventh (?) winter visit there.

Edited by CintiPam

3 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I would not worry about a one-day cruise port visit to Punta Cana.  However , I certainly am rethinking my plans to return next winter for a week at the fabulous all-inclusive Iberostar Bavaro.  Bavaro Beach is my favorite swimming beach, and I was so looking forward to my seventh (?) winter visit there.

We are  set to be there for one day in Nov. but are hoping that Oceania changes that and takes us to another port. No way we will get off the ship and I am sure most people will fell the same way.  Still have time. 

On 6/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jayne E said:

Boy  you drive a hard bargain....  You got O right   where you want  em'... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

We are  set to be there for one day in Nov. but are hoping that Oceania changes that and takes us to another port. No way we will get off the ship and I am sure most people will fell the same way.  Still have time. 

Perhaps we will get some answers before you embark.  Insecticide? Poisoned drinks?  Each should do what is most comfortable for himself or herself.  Who needs stress on vacation? There is enough of that in “regular” life.

36 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Shhhhhhhhhh!

I think most people go to the Caribbean because it is close and it is cheap.  I think FP is safe as it is anything but those two things.  

30 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I think most people go to the Caribbean because it is close and it is cheap.  I think FP is safe as it is anything but those two things.  

It's good to be from the left coast. 😉

32 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I sure wish Oceania had more round trips from the left coast.  My husband hates to fly.  We recently did a btb Alaska, San Francisco to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Seattle on the regatta.  Took Amtrak from Seattle to Reno.  We love train travel,  thank goodness lol.

Was a beautiful ride.

gerry

Edited by bandgbasset

Hope you get to see Tahiti. You even have the United flights from SFO potentially within driving distance. Or take the Zephyr from Reno to BART in the bay. My husband hates to fly too but put a cocktail and a kindle in

his hands and he's snoring in an hour.

Alternatively, you can do the one way Papeete to SF next spring. I'll be on that. Only one way for hubby to stress flying.

Life's too short not to see Bora Bora. Best to you!

21 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

I sure wish Oceania had more round trips from the left coast.  My husband hates to fly.  We recently did a btb Alaska, San Francisco to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Seattle.  Took Amtrak from Seattle to Reno.  We love train travel,  thank goodness lol.

Was a beautiful ride.

gerry

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

We used to live in Grants Pass and were going to build a second home in Port Orford.  And then didn't.  But we adore the Oregon Coast.

54 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

Took Amtrak from Seattle to Reno.

We live in Reno also.  What's the routing from there to here?  We've thought about doing the Starlight Express and leaving our car in Sacto.  (Sorry for going off topic, guys.)

12 minutes ago, clo said:

We live in Reno also.  What's the routing from there to here?  We've thought about doing the Starlight Express and leaving our car in Sacto.  (Sorry for going off topic, guys.)

The coast starlight leaves Seattle for Los Angeles at 2:30 pm and arrives in sac at 6:00 am.  Then we take the Amtrak bus to Reno, easy peasy.

we are on the atw 2021, from Miami to New York.  He will fly for a big trip.  Last year we did an 85 day trip on the sirena, Miami to Miami, and he did fine, but he hates it lol.

Gerry

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

Then we take the Amtrak bus to Reno, easy peasy.

I hadn't thought about that.  Silly since I can hear the train(s) regularly. Thanks again, Gerry.

3 hours ago, clo said:

We used to live in Grants Pass and were going to build a second home in Port Orford.  And then didn't.  But we adore the Oregon Coast.

Again OT but we love Port Orford too. We've lived in Seal Rock 20+ years right on the ocean, about 20 minutes south of Newport. Rain forest meets the ocean. 

5 hours ago, RJB said:

We like it just where we are.  Very nice here.    

I'm sure it's lovely RJB. I was talking about distance to FP.

We've gotten used to visiting FP every year or two so the 8 hour fly time from here is very nice.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jayne E said:

Just returned from an Oceania cruise that made a port of call in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.  Took a shore ex to the capital, Santo Domingo.

Our tour bus had an armed guard, and he was always present during our walking tour.  The tour guide cautioned us not to wander away from the tour group.   Very scary.   It has been mentioned by PAXs on CC the reason why cruise lines,  including Oceania, is because even though dangerous, it is cheap for cruse lines to make D.R. a port of call.  Next time I will definitely stay on the ship during that port of call.  No need to see it again.  👎

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just returned from an Oceania cruise that made a port of call in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.  Took a shore ex to the capital, Santo Domingo.

Our tour bus had an armed guard, and he was always present during our walking tour.  The tour guide cautioned us not to wander away from the tour group.   Very scary.   It has been mentioned by PAXs on CC the reason why cruise lines,  including Oceania, is because even though dangerous, it is cheap for cruse lines to make D.R. a port of call.  Next time I will definitely stay on the ship during that port of call.  No need to see it again.  👎

I had booked a cruise with Ritz Carlton Yachts and not really caring about itinerary. Had not been to DR and it was on the itinerary and really was making the ship the destination.  Cancelled a few months ago and decided there is nothing better than being in St Barths on Seadream.  Smart move 😉

I do remember many of my golf buddies would go to DR and they would have armed guards at the resort. It never appealed to me and now I know why. 

10 hours ago, RJB said:

We like it just where we are.  Very nice here.    

Perhaps.  But it sure adds to the trip if you want to go to the South Pacific or such.