Wine Corkage Fee

Keep in mind, there are many bottles of wine out there that do not have traditional corks.  Screw cap.  

But as mentioned, the fee is not to open the bottle..it's the service provided, plus container of ice to keep the wine chilled  (if needed).

And am also in the same camp of simply walking in with your filled glass of wine for dinner.  It also makes it nice if you have to wait for your table.  😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

we have ALWAYS been charged the corkage fee.    so now we just drink in the cabin on our balcony.  

Can I ask what ship(s)?  We weren't charged on Symphony but I know it's a gamble.

Just got back from 3 day Navigator of the Seas and was not charged a corkage fee in Chops.  No mention was made of the fee and the waiter treated it as if we had bought it at the restaurant.  It seems like YMMV.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Keep in mind, there are many bottles of wine out there that do not have traditional corks.  Screw cap.  

But as mentioned, the fee is not to open the bottle..it's the service provided, plus container of ice to keep the wine chilled  (if needed).

And am also in the same camp of simply walking in with your filled glass of wine for dinner.  It also makes it nice if you have to wait for your table.  😉 

What really good wines have a twist off tops?  I know there are plenty under $10 that have twist off. 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What really good wines have a twist off tops?  I know there are plenty under $10 that have twist off. 

I can't give you names off the top of my head, but more and more very good wines are going to twist off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I can't give you names off the top of my head, but more and more very good wines are going to twist off.

Over $15 to $20 a bottle?  I’ll be on the look out for those twisted caps. Lol

i bought a good bottle of Tito’s with the twisted caps and the bottle leaked. Don’t think the Vodka would go bad but surely good wine would, I would think. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Over $15 to $20 a bottle?  I’ll be on the look out for those twisted caps. Lol

i bought a good bottle of Tito’s with the twisted caps and the bottle leaked. Don’t think the Vodka would go bad but surely good wine would, I would think. 

Yes.  Supposedly there is a significant percentage of failure in using cork.  Some wines have gone to synthetic corks.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, facsbrat said:

Just got back from 3 day Navigator of the Seas and was not charged a corkage fee in Chops.  No mention was made of the fee and the waiter treated it as if we had bought it at the restaurant.  It seems like YMMV.

You know there is a fee , the waiter know theres a fee ,he is hoping to recover some of that fee in a tip. Of course no mention of it ships run on a chash economy. But big brother is watching ☺

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

You know there is a fee , the waiter know theres a fee ,he is hoping to recover some of that fee in a tip. Of course no mention of it ships run on a chash economy. But big brother is watching ☺

LOL now that you mention it, I did leave a nice extra tip .... hmmmm

Edited by facsbrat
typo

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

A lot of good white wines have the screw top. I’m talking $30-35 a bottle .  We have visited many vineyards and are starting to notice it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Too many very good wines have been destroyed by tainted corks.  Let's face it...corks are shaved off of the bark of a tree.  Many of my customers lamented about having their very good wines ruined by cork taint (bacteria).  New Zealand was one of the first to steer away from tree bark.  Good wine...smells like wet newspaper...ruined by cork taint. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes.  Supposedly there is a significant percentage of failure in using cork.  Some wines have gone to synthetic corks.

And yes they have...no bacteria in those.  🙂 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Too many very good wines have been destroyed by tainted corks.  Let's face it...corks are shaved off of the bark of a tree.  Many of my customers lamented about having their very good wines ruined by cork taint (bacteria).  New Zealand was one of the first to steer away from tree bark.  Good wine...smells like wet newspaper...ruined by cork taint. 

Good to know. I consider you my personal  DS Sommelier. 🍷

Edited by davekathy

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

There is a winery located at a farm named Boone. A guy on the street told me that they make excellent screw cap vintages. 

Haha.  OMG. I remember Boone’s Farm. Strawberry Hill. Sweet and cheap.