How do you pay for cruises

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Well experience tells you, and history proves it, that sometimes it IS someone elses fault.

Whatever IT is.

Yes, sometimes it is someone else's fault, but it isn't when you charge more on a credit card than you can afford to pay back. That's what this thread is about. Since you insist on continuing along this line, I can only assume you are one of those (too many these days) who look to blame others when the problem is in the mirror.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 8:32 AM, Joebucks said:

We are able to pay down our cruises entirely in Ultimate Rewards

I can't believe that I actually found this post!  We just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve and I honestly have learned more about using it here on CC than elsewhere.  Is there a short explanation of how you pay for a cruise with it?  Thanks.

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

I was thankful that I was able to go cashless while I was in Vancouver before and after my recent cruises. The Canadians seem to have advanced more in that direction than we have in the U.S. 

the opposite for our neighbors below 30* latitude. 

1 minute ago, Texas Tillie said:

You are aware that a sizable potion of Texas and Florida are south of 30 degrees?

let me amend..... 28*  how's that ?

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yes, sometimes it is someone else's fault, but it isn't when you charge more on a credit card than you can afford to pay back. That's what this thread is about. Since you insist on continuing along this line, I can only assume you are one of those (too many these days) who look to blame others when the problem is in the mirror.

You assume wrongly. 

And the discussion had broadened to incorporate other things that were or are supposedly self inflicted.

Nobody has said famine in third world countries is self inflicted yet but it wouldnt surprise me if someone did on here.

I merely have a social conscience and know many folk that have had years of misery over credit cards. And yes many were self inflicted. But so what. I still feel for them.

I find it's better that way.

3 hours ago, clo said:

I can't believe that I actually found this post!  We just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve and I honestly have learned more about using it here on CC than elsewhere.  Is there a short explanation of how you pay for a cruise with it?  Thanks.

There's a phone number on the UR site that you call. Unfortunately, you can't do it online currently. But they will walk you through all of the options. The prices are exactly the same as Carnival, even with your eligible VIFP offers. I believe you can even split payment between points and card.

3 hours ago, clo said:

I have all possible bills set up to auto pay to my Chase Sapphire card: cell phone, cable, even the garbage bill is included. I also use it for all our of pocket expenses like groceries, gas, and eating out. Yearly expenses like homeowners and car insurance also go on the card. I then pay for vacations using the card (triple points). I then use the points that I’ve accumulated for expenses related to the vacation- staying in an Airbnb, use the points for flights; going on a cruise, use the points for a precruise hotel stay. The key is to always pay the balance in full each month to avoid the interest charge. If you use the points for travel, they are worth 1.5 times their normal value. 

Just now, reaton said:

I have all possible bills set up to auto pay to my Chase Sapphire card: cell phone, cable, even the garbage bill is included. I also use it for all our of pocket expenses like groceries, gas, and eating out. Yearly expenses like homeowners and car insurance also go on the card. I then pay for vacations using the card (triple points). I then use the points that I’ve accumulated for expenses related to the vacation- staying in an Airbnb, use the points for flights; going on a cruise, use the points for a precruise hotel stay. The key is to always pay the balance in full each month to avoid the interest charge. If you use the points for travel, they are worth 1.5 times their normal value. 

Yep.  We've done the same forever with our Chase United Club Card that gave us 1.5 for every thing.  But the CSR is feeling like Christmas came early 🙂  And it never hurts to remind people that they MUST pay it off every month.  I think the interest rate is something like 25%!!!!!!!!!!  I'm excited to, for the first time ever, charge our McD's drive-thru of "two Sausage McMuffins, one hashbrown and two milks."  LOL.  Thanks to both of you.

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Yep.  We've done the same forever with our Chase United Club Card that gave us 1.5 for every thing.  But the CSR is feeling like Christmas came early 🙂  And it never hurts to remind people that they MUST pay it off every month.  I think the interest rate is something like 25%!!!!!!!!!!  I'm excited to, for the first time ever, charge our McD's drive-thru of "two Sausage McMuffins, one hashbrown and two milks."  LOL.  Thanks to both of you.

Milk — with your Sausage McMuffins ?????   Nevada is indeed a far away land, of which I know little.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Milk — with your Sausage McMuffins ?????

We would have already had our coffee at home 🙂  BTW, sometime try a FoF with well done hashbrown.  I'm on a food group and we all went crazy over it 🙂

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

You assume wrongly. 

And the discussion had broadened to incorporate other things that were or are supposedly self inflicted.

Nobody has said famine in third world countries is self inflicted yet but it wouldnt surprise me if someone did on here.

I merely have a social conscience and know many folk that have had years of misery over credit cards. And yes many were self inflicted. But so what. I still feel for them.

I find it's better that way.

So you come on here and revel in the fact that you don't know anything about your own long term finances.

OK. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

One of the features of the card is that if you spend your points within Chase's portal you get a 50% bump in value.  So you definitely want to spend some time poking around in there.  I've never booked a cruise there, but I have booked some nice domestic 1st class tickets through it.  They fairly recently changed over to Expedia as their partner, so the site has become more expedia-like.

I'm assuming that your question was about using the POINTS to pay for the cruise.  Because I'm pretty sure you already know how to use the card.  LOL

well i suppose I did. but i have also taken advice from here too and will be getting to the bottom of that soon enough.

Not sure I was revelling though.

Still prefer to pay with cash.

49 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

One of the features of the card is that if you spend your points within Chase's portal you get a 50% bump in value.  So you definitely want to spend some time poking around in there.  I've never booked a cruise there, but I have booked some nice domestic 1st class tickets through it.  They fairly recently changed over to Expedia as their partner, so the site has become more expedia-like.

I'm assuming that your question was about using the POINTS to pay for the cruise.  Because I'm pretty sure you already know how to use the card.  LOL

LOL.  What I also like, and I think I'm right about this, is that those points can be moved to my husband's account and his to mine.  We each got our own card.  So much better than the FF ones where we'd have to pay to do that.  I see just a 'wealth' of possibilities here 🙂  Thanks, kiddo.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL.  What I also like, and I think I'm right about this, is that those points can be moved to my husband's account and his to mine.  We each got our own card.  So much better than the FF ones where we'd have to pay to do that.  I see just a 'wealth' of possibilities here 🙂  Thanks, kiddo.

I never tried to do this because we just got an extra card on the one account.

32 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I never tried to do this because we just got an extra card on the one account.

We each are getting the $50k bonus and all the other benefits. and the extra card would have cost IIRC $75.  Seemed okay for us.  For a few years now we've used the Chase United Club Card and put everything on it.  We'll now put almost everything on Bob's card (he pays the bills) and I'll keep mine for one-off things, i.e., Amazon Prime! And Nordstrom!!!  

Did I mention that I read on The Points Guy about a couple who EACH have 17 different cards...and use a spreadsheet to keep track of them?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

How do the prices within the portal compare to prices for airfare through the airlines or cruise from the cruise lines?

• Like 1