RC changed my room

Just now, nelblu said:

When I booked an ocean view balcony GTY on Anthem, the RCL agent told me that it was 5D type and located Aft section and  between deck 8-12.  When my cabin was assigned it was deck 12, cabin # 302 Aft ocean view balcony.

When  the Op originally booked  it was  an 8D ocean view balcony and not a GTY cabin.  Also, initially, it costs a lot more than the CP or BW balconies.   Although these cabins do come with nice proms.  If the OP gets screwed he/she should demand a refund or sizeable OBCs.

Totally agree with you and that's what I was trying to say. When I booked a guaranteed on Ovation I did the same as you with a 5d balcony gty and we were assigned to deck 10. I only booked a gty on this class of ship because I could pick a minimum guarantee as I would not be happy with an obstructed balcony on these ships.

I think the OP needs to get more info on what she has for gty. It should not be a guarantee at all as she did not book one to begin with and she should be able to pick another cabin now. I would demand that to happen.

15 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Totally agree with you and that's what I was trying to say. When I booked a guaranteed on Ovation I did the same as you with a 5d balcony gty and we were assigned to deck 10. I only booked a gty on this class of ship because I could pick a minimum guarantee as I would not be happy with an obstructed balcony on these ships.

Same here.  I only booked when RCL's Rep. mentioned that it was 5d and above any obstructions.  Also, went to a TA website and confirmed where the 5d category cabins range encompassed.  Also, in addition to the balcony GTY, there are at least 2 other GTY type categories--RCL chooses cabin and obstructed ocean view balcony GTY.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I suggest daily! 👍

That makes one wonder if they have certain customer accounts flagged in their system as "chronic complainers"..."problem customers"...

Kinda like posters who practically spend all their time posting complaining about things...and wear that distinction as some kind of misguided "badge of honor".

The OP lesson learned is to get things confirmed in writing (and read any fine print)...it makes it nearly impossible to dispute if/when there's a problem.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That makes one wonder if they have certain customer accounts flagged in their system as "chronic complainers"..."problem customers"... 

And so what good does that do? 🤔

Would be a total waste of company resources .... 🙄

20 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

And so what good does that do? 🤔

Would be a total waste of company resources .... 🙄

There's no additional cost whatsoever to do it (a simple flag on a screen)...but it alerts staff to having more experienced people deal with those "special" customers and also alerts them to repeated calls to manipulate CSR's for nefarious purposes.

Call logs/customer flags/customer alerts/caller ID logs are all common features of customer service systems.

As for the OP...hopefully the problem is corrected to their satisfaction.

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

There's no additional cost whatsoever to do it (a simple flag on a screen)...but it alerts staff to having more experienced people deal with those "special" customers and also alerts them to repeated calls to manipulate CSR's for nefarious purposes.

Call logs/customer flags/customer alerts/caller ID logs are all common features of customer service systems.

As for the OP...hopefully the problem is corrected to their satisfaction.

WAY!!! too complex for a company where management can't get 18 and 50 right and that is incapable of running a simple website... 🙄

Their agents are struggling to understand simple questions in English to begin with.... 😱

• Like 2

Same boat as you, non pun intended. Booked over the holidays and NYE in a JS connecting to a balcony cabin for the kids. Kids are now placed in GTY and we are stuck with a JS connecting to strangers. RCL not budging since now we are trying what to do for the 2 weeks in terms of getting cabins that connect and also are available for both sailings so we don’t have to move rooms. Shame since we booked this back in January 2018 when this sailing came out. 

RCL - please take care of your loyal pax who book far ahead and don’t screw us over 1 month before final payment!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

WAY!!! too complex for a company where management can't get 18 and 50 right and that is incapable of running a simple website... 🙄

Their agents are struggling to understand simple questions in English to begin with.... 😱

Yeah...real tough...it takes maybe 3 minutes to learn how to use a customer status, issues, and flags screen in any CSR system. It's exponentially easier than the reservation and pricing screens. Anyone working with these systems knows that the reservation record portion is the toughest...and yes...some systems make that section more complex than it should be.

7 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah...real tough...it takes maybe 3 minutes to learn how to use a customer status, issues, and flags screen in any CSR system. It's exponentially easier than the reservation and pricing screens. Anyone working with these systems knows that the reservation record portion is the toughest...and yes...some systems make that section more complex than it should be.

It is not the flag that is the problem..... getting any use out of it is  the problem when you can't get any basics right anyway.... 🙄 😱

7 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

It is not the flag that is the problem..... getting any use out of it is  the problem when you can't get any basics right anyway.... 🙄 😱

There is no question that the evolution of the Royal website itself has been a bumpy road...but...on the other side of the fence/screen at Royal...it primarily comes down to training and knowledge of a specific CSR that is engaged.

That said....it's "strange" how many people have no problem booking online...while others do. In the more than 10 years we've been cruising, not one booking was a problem, reservation needed correction, nor CSR had to change any "errors" after the fact.  It almost makes one wonder if at least some of the problems are self-inflicted.

As for the topic at hand...the fine print does contain common language about Royal having the "subject to change" clause. Most folks don't read the fine print...and typically it doesn't come into play anyway. In the case of the OP...it's a different story...and Royal needs to make them "whole".

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

On 7/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, Host Clarea said:

Sort of like the airlines now, you have to constantly check your flight info because they can change equipment at any time and change your seating.

Tell me about it.

Checked in yesterday at around noon.  Snagged an exit row window seat for the second flight.

11 hours later, boarding second flight, I am now (as a Gold FF member) in a MIDDLE seat in the LAST ROW.   And the only answer they gave was, change in equipment, and the flight is full.

NOT a happy camper.

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

Tell me about it.

Checked in yesterday at around noon.  Snagged an exit row window seat for the second flight.

11 hours later, boarding second flight, I am now (as a Gold FF member) in a MIDDLE seat in the LAST ROW.   And the only answer they gave was, change in equipment, and the flight is full.

NOT a happy camper.

Hard to believe that reason!

Non-US carrier.

But one that really should have done a better job.

NOT happy with Turkish Air now.

And their new airport in Istanbul is HORRIBLE.  Unless you enjoy the shopping mall.

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Hard to believe that reason!

Sadly equipment changes - especially last-minute substitutions happen with many airlines.

That always causes havoc with pre-assigned seats for numerous passengers. It happens more often than people realize.

One a new aircraft is put in play...there is a limited and convoluted process to get people in seats similar to (but not often the same as) the original airplane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Non-US carrier.

But one that really should have done a better job.

NOT happy with Turkish Air now.

And their new airport in Istanbul is HORRIBLE.  Unless you enjoy the shopping mall.

Understand. Fly at dozens flights a year. Last 7yrs I've book at least 6-12 months out on US Carrier Delta. Every yr they have changed my Flight, time, or the plane/equipment and loose my reserved seat. This yr have 2 times so far for my Oct flight. At least cost to Fly is tons cheaper then when I first did decades ago.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Sadly equipment changes - especially last-minute substitutions happen with many airlines.

That always causes havoc with pre-assigned seats for numerous passengers. It happens more often than people realize.

One a new aircraft is put in play...there is a limited and convoluted process to get people in seats similar to (but not often the same as) the original airplane.

And some airlines are currently juggling more equipment swaps due to the 737-max being taken out of service. Airlines who have many of these are struggling to maximize the fallout.

• Like 1

1104161719a.dng

On 7/5/2019 at 12:41 AM, ONECRUISER said:

Though rare if have 1-2 in cabin holding 4 you might get bumped. Has happened few times on here, at least couple after one canceled passenger from their cabin. Better to be a no-show at pier.. Glad you able to work it to an advantage

We booked the Harmony TA the first day available and I noticed that even though there was only the two of us....the site would allow me to book the family balcony suite that holds 6 for the same price as a ocean balcony. I booked it thinking at some point Royal will move us. Well they never did (probably lack of families on a TA) and we had a fantastic very long balcony for the whole trip. Also bunk beds to use a clothing stations.

Edited by Beachammo

On 7/5/2019 at 3:31 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

As far as I've heard so far, your TA has told you as much as they can until Royal assigns your cabin. Nothing lied about at all. I've had Royal Caribbean agents tell me that guaranties can't be changed.

You're not paying the Royal agent to be your representative.....Big difference

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That may be, but gate agents flat-out lie as well. I was on a Delta flight DCA-ATL-STT once, a 757 on both legs.  I flew down seated next to my family in a window seat, got to ATL no problem.  Then when it comes time to board, I get called to the desk and the agent tries to give me a new boarding pass for an aisle seat away from my family, claiming that it's due to an equipment change.  I looked her straight in the eye and told her I was on the flight from DCA, on the same 757 that's going to St. Thomas, that I sat at the gate watching out the window and that plane didn't budge.  Asked her to tell me again why my seat was changed.  She looked annoyed and refused to answer - finally got me switched to a window seat (what I paid for) but unfortunately away from my family.

Moral of the story is, don't trust gate agents when they try to sell you on a story.  Use your head, and challenge them (politely) if necessary.

Edited by PlanetX

54 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

1104161719a.dng 19.1 MB · 0 downloads

We booked the Harmony TA the first day available and I noticed that even though there was only the two of us....the site would allow me to book the family balcony suite that holds 6 for the same price as a ocean balcony. I booked it thinking at some point Royal will move us. Well they never did (probably lack of families on a TA) and we had a fantastic very long balcony for the whole trip. Also bunk beds to use a clothing stations.

Kool!... Yeah some ships from day one you can book with min passengers others more restrictive. Though was day after final switched my Balcony Cabin for a 2Bd/2Ba all to myself. Bonus, was on a 12n Repo and got it for lot less then what I paid on my Balcony cabin... 

1 hour ago, Beachammo said:

You're not paying the Royal agent to be your representative.....Big difference

You're not paying your TA either.  Royal pays them a commission.

57 minutes ago, BND said:

You're not paying your TA either.  Royal pays them a commission.

You initiate the sale which causes Royal to pay a commission. They don't get paid unless you use them. They should know more than a Royal rep. 

1 minute ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You can't be serious!

V E R Y

A royal rep doesn't represent me. But I initiate a TA to represent me. He/She should know more.....

Edited by Beachammo