RC changed my room

2 minutes ago, patreke said:

I'm even less pleased that we weren't notified and who knows what we would have ended up with. ...

Sort of like the airlines now, you have to constantly check your flight info because they can change equipment at any time and change your seating.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sort of like the airlines now, you have to constantly check your flight info because they can change equipment at any time and change your seating.

Yeah, my flight to San Juan just changed from leaving at 12:45PM to now leaving at 4:45PM.  This is for my Freedom cruise in November 2019.  Luckily this is the day before!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, patreke said:

Happened to us too, on Monday I just happened to look at my reservation for December 15 to find one of two cabins had been switched to guarantee cabin.  Apparently they are recategorizing some cabins and ours was changed to something else & we got the boot.  Travel agent managed to find us 2 together on a different deck & not really mid ship.  

I'm not pleased...I really wanted deck 8 just off Central Park.   

I'm even less pleased that we weren't notified and who knows what we would have ended up with.

I got distracted by this and never got to find out if the $18 beverage package was available 😞

If that is December 15, 2019, the $18 price was never on that cruise.  It started in February 2020.

I am sorry this happened. I would ask your Travel Agent for the "Agent Copy" and Guest Copy to see if there are any cabin discrepancies . You would want the copies after you made your deposit and then after Final Payment to see if there is any changes. 

Perhaps your stateroom had a mechanical issue and needed to be taken out of service and Royal moved you to a less desirable location.   If you are not happy see if your Travel Agent can work with Resolutions to upgrade you or move you to a more desirable location. Your Travel Agent is your advocate and must do their end of the deal to get you the customer the best cruise possible.

If the agent did not book your room correctly or changed your room without your consent then using their Errors and Omissions Insurance they should pay the cost to upgrade you to a better stateroom if available or purchase more OBC or a Dining Package or Ultimate Beverage Package.  

I check my online trip planner daily to see if there are any changes or if my GTY cabin has been assigned. So far for the first leg of the  B2B our GTY cabin has not been assigned so if we get  a cabin that is less desirable I will be on the phone to get it changed and I also check the second reservation to see that my cabin is not changed.

I picked the best cabin midship on Deck 4 on the Brilliance midship near the theater and Guest Services If we disembark Tampa on Deck 4 as we did  in Amsterdam last year this will be perfect to avoid the elevators or go down two decks on the stairs to avoid the elevators  as we will not have our checked luggage with us as we will be one of the last off since we spend a night in Tampa.

Please keep us posted.

Edited by travelplus
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Were you in a cabin that holds more than 2 occupants? They might have moved you to make you room for a family that needed extra berths.

This.

Were the cabin connecting? They may have also been needed for a family.

In any case, it doesn't matter if the OP considers the new cabins a downgrade if the cabins are categorized as an equal or higher category by the cruise line.

I was wondering if certain "big box corps" have more leeway with Royal.  Almost everything I ask through my big box gets approved by RCCL.

Does anyone think it does?

I feel that one giant corporation can  interact more strategically with another giant corporation as opposed to your small TA.

Hey what do I know 😜😳👀

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

This.

Were the cabin connecting? They may have also been needed for a family.

In any case, it doesn't matter if the OP considers the new cabins a downgrade if the cabins are categorized as an equal or higher category by the cruise line.

No the cabins weren’t connecting, just 3 cabins in a row. My original room just had the sofa and the room they moved me to has a sofa that pulls out to a bed. So the new room would hold more people 

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Were you in a cabin that holds more than 2 occupants? They might have moved you to make you room for a family that needed extra berths.

No but the new room holds more occupants 

So we are to avoid connecting cabins if we don't need the connecting cabin. Also some of these connecting cabins only have a Chair as opposed to a Loveseat due to the door.   The Travel Agent should have been more careful to avoid connecting cabins. Well something to add to the requests no connecting cabins unless absolutely necessary.   Even still the TA needed to let the OP know right away upon receipt of any changes..

One problem that Travel Agents run into is that  some of these e-mails from Royal and other cruiselines goes to an unmonitored e-mail address and all the agent has to do is update the e-mail address to their own company address and create folders for their clients. Then they forward  a copy of the e-mail right away to the client with a Please Call me to discuss this change and how to proceed. Its very irresponsible of a TA to just let it go in order for them to do less work.  

I would be upset to learn of such a downgrade. Hence this is why  some Big Box agencies are not attentive and deal with so many mass bookings. Perhaps a Brick and Mortar part of a consortium is a better way to go so they have a smaller clientele per agent that can really drive up the customer service. 

Would paying a $50-$100 service fee be worth it in order to get better service? I say yes.if it means a downgrade to a worse cabin worth more that the service fee I would hands down pay such a fee to know that my reservation is handled with care.   I don't trust some of the Big  Box agents because some of them have never cruised before or have toured the ship.

1 hour ago, rhuntington3 said:

Yeah, my flight to San Juan just changed from leaving at 12:45PM to now leaving at 4:45PM.  This is for my Freedom cruise in November 2019.  Luckily this is the day before!

Some airlines allow you free changes in this situation.  There may be a different, more desirable routing available.

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some airlines allow you free changes in this situation.  There may be a different, more desirable routing available.

Fortunately this is my flight to San Juan the day before the cruise.  I'm not too worried, yet.  I do need to call my hotel and let them know I will be late checking in.  I'm flying from DFW and its a non-stop flight.  Coming back I have to go to Miami and then back to DFW.  Weird there are no direct flights from San Juan to DFW.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, rhuntington3 said:

Fortunately this is my flight to San Juan the day before the cruise.  I'm not too worried, yet.  I do need to call my hotel and let them know I will be late checking in.  I'm flying from DFW and its a non-stop flight.  Coming back I have to go to Miami and then back to DFW.  Weird there are no direct flights from San Juan to DFW.  Oh well.

Totally unnecessary. You paid for the room. They can't sell it to someone else

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal sent  notification to travel agents with bookings on Oasis for the fall that certain reservations were closed to modifications for 3 weeks in June as they recategorized some staterooms.  This had to do with occupancy levels at individual muster stations and the addition of the new cabins.  

I’m guessing that your relocation was due to this.  

This happened to us, but they sent us an email that they were proactively working to find a suitable replacement cabin.  They were indeed able to find two connecting balcony cabins for our family for the 12/29 sailing.

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I was wondering if certain "big box corps" have more leeway with Royal.  Almost everything I ask through my big box gets approved by RCCL.

Does anyone think it does?

I feel that one giant corporation can  interact more strategically with another giant corporation as opposed to your small TA.

Hey what do I know 😜😳👀

Just curious what you ask for  ?

After reading this thread I checked my reservation and found that they moved us from our balcony cabin to a guarantee cabin. We were never notified that we were being moved. My mother in law was in the cabin next to us and the kids were across the hall. Their cabins stayed the same they only changed our cabin.  I just spent an hour on the phone trying to get my cabin back and was told I could not get it back due to some reason he could not explain. He said it was not booked but was not available to book but he could put us in the cabin right next door to my original. We only have two people in our cabin so I don't think it has to do with muster station since there were open cabins all around us just not two right next to each other with an available one across the hall. I was told to call back tomorrow and talk with the revenue department to see if we can get our original back. 

This is the December 20, 2020 Oasis sailing

59 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Just curious what you ask for  ?

I don't know, just thinking about travel, it just popped up,  LOL nothing dodgy, just was wondering.🤪

This must be an Oasis thing - and we were warned that categories were changing.  We're booked on the 2/23/2020 sailing and got bumped from our Deck 12 balcony.  Found out when a new emailed invoice out of the blue showed our category as "GTY" instead of "2D".  We had booked direct, so it's not a travel agent thing.  

What they told us (3 separate phone calls gave the same answer) was that they were upgrading the category of our original stateroom to hold 3-4 guests and we were no longer qualified as a 2-guest booking. On the 3rd phone call, they also gave us a $100 OBC for the miscommunication, stating that they "should have" called us when they bumped us.

So now I'm $100 richer, booked into the balcony stateroom next door to my original, and nabbed the $18 drink package.  What could go wrong?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, milford_cruiser said:

So now I'm $100 richer, booked into the balcony stateroom next door to my original, and nabbed the $18 drink package.  What could go wrong?

If I were you, I'd go buy some lottery tickets!  🤑

• Haha 1

I'm sure its just an Oasis thing, there is no way that the ship is sold out of balcony cabins this early.  I just checked Cruising power and not one category of balconies are open.  Our group shows 9 balcony cabin available but when you go into book, it says none available.

I'd give it a few days til the whole re-categorization is done, then I bet there will a lot cabins available to move to.

This happened to me on an upcoming 2020 sailing on the Oasis because RC is changing some of the stateroom categories, which will take affect after the upcoming dry dock.  My TA called and forwarded  the email RC sent regarding the change.  I was automatically reassigned to a new less desirable, connecting stateroom on a lower deck.  Luckily, I was able to change the stateroom to a better one.  

Your TA was probably notified by did not notify you. 

4 hours ago, milford_cruiser said:

This must be an Oasis thing - and we were warned that categories were changing.  We're booked on the 2/23/2020 sailing and got bumped from our Deck 12 balcony.  Found out when a new emailed invoice out of the blue showed our category as "GTY" instead of "2D".  We had booked direct, so it's not a travel agent thing.  

What they told us (3 separate phone calls gave the same answer) was that they were upgrading the category of our original stateroom to hold 3-4 guests and we were no longer qualified as a 2-guest booking. On the 3rd phone call, they also gave us a $100 OBC for the miscommunication, stating that they "should have" called us when they bumped us.

Though rare if have 1-2 in cabin holding 4 you might get bumped. Has happened few times on here, at least couple after one canceled passenger from their cabin. Better to be a no-show at pier.. Glad you able to work it to an advantage

Edited by ONECRUISER

All this shuffling seems obviously related to the upcoming 63 day major drydock.  Clearly they are finalizing changes to the staterooms, whether it's the category itself or just the occupancy.  It sounds like the TA did nothing wrong and there was no reason to expect the renovation was going to change your stateroom categories for confirmed bookings.  I don't think the 3 way call is going to prove anyone did anything wrong, exactly, other than for RCI to show room categories/occupancy numbers for booking that won't be there for the future dates after all.

If the rooms are not going to exist in their prior configurations, it's going to be all but impossible to get the rooms you want together at this point. I would push for some OBC as compensation and then carry on and enjoy the cruise.  If there hadn't been 3 adjacent cabins available, would you still have taken the trip, even separated from your friends?  If the answer is no, then you could try to cancel with a full refund if the trip is truly ruined. 

Between you, me, and the fly on the wall, I'm not always that much of a fan of adjacent cabins anyway.  Plenty of places aboard to meet up and get enough togetherness during a weeklong journey, and having some personal time and space has its advantages.  Still go for that cabin credit though.  JMHO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, travelplus said:

I check my online trip planner daily to see if there are any changes or if my GTY cabin has been assigned. So far for the first leg of the  B2B our GTY cabin has not been assigned so if we get  a cabin that is less desirable I will be on the phone to get it changed and I also check the second reservation to see that my cabin is not changed.

Did you click "view more details" to see if the GTY cabin was assigned a specific number.  On my upcoming August Anthem NE/Canada cruise, as I booked late, I chose a "ocean view balcony GTY"  with the understanding that it was 5D type and would be towards the Aft and between deck 8-12.  I determined that it was away from any obstructions and booked it.

A few months ago, there was a thread dealing with the various types of GTY cabins and the seemingly endless confusion to GTY cabins.   I called RCL to determine if cabin number was assigned.  The Agent said yes--# 12302.  Went back to my cruise planner and the cabin # still did not show up.  Decided to click on "view more details" and lo and behold the cabin assigned popped up.

Have a great cruise. 

Ps.  I have 2 family cruises coming up on Harmony and Anthem and now I'm concerned as I selected balcony cabins near each other.  Does anyone know if the ressies are linked will I be able to see all cabins numbers.