Dining - Summit advice

Donut23

Hello Celebrities!  I need help.

Celebrity royally messed up our reservation around final payment.  As a result we had to battle Celebrity for my Handicapped Cabin back ( legs don’t work well after accident )

other bennies ...

Friend got a free inside cabin near us and all AC benefits - they changed the classification to a double instead of a triple.

we can dine in Blu or Main Dining

we can take advantage of alternate dining at no charge all 7 nights

We are flagged as VVIP’s

(yes, it was Celebrity was that bad)

I need your help!

our friend and I our adventurous and will try anything.

Hubby (the kindest man on the plant) is a Meat and Potatos kind of guy.  He now enjoys salads thanks to giant Maryland tomatoes, not much on vegetables, WILL try soups and after a childhood of fish sticks on Fridays he eats NO seafood. 😢. I have tried.

i want my Jim to enjoy Celebrity.  So far, he is a dedicated Royal Caribbeanator.  We were married on the Radiance.

We can dine anywhere.  What do you suggest??

I was pretty seriously sick earlier, only made final payment because we have Travel Guard Trip Insurance.  I’m better enough to give it a try as long as we take it easy.  Dining will be fun.

We can finally plan and I want my Jim to have a fabulous time as I sit and sun on our ginormous balcony.

59 days from today to Bermuda.

Thank you for your suggestions. 👍❤️

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

The specialty restaurant menus are all on line on the Celebrity website. I say show them to him and let him pick which specialty restaurants to go to based on what looks good to him.

Oooooooooooh!  That’s a GOOD idea.  He used to send me menus of Disney World restaurants before we left.

Thank you!  🎉🎉

There are only 3 speciality restaurants on the Summit.  Tuscan, Italian steak house, the filet is excellent.  Qsine is a small plates for sharing type of place and Sushi on 5 which wouldn’t work for your husband.  

On the Summit, if you are dining in Blu you can order from the MDR menu as well as the Blu menu.

4 hours ago, Donut23 said:

We have often been disappointed with "meat" (steaks, prime rib) on Celebrity.  However, we have found the slow braised meats to be exceptional - lamb shanks, beef short ribs, etc.  If your husband likes those he will be very happy.  

Filet in Tuscan is usually good.  Don't write off Sushi on 5 totally.  I believe they have a gourmet burger and maybe something else he might want to try.

Blu menu doesn't really have great beef entries but if he happened to like Duck or Lamb there might be some things there to try.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

There are only 3 speciality restaurants on the Summit.  Tuscan, Italian steak house, the filet is excellent.  Qsine is a small plates for sharing type of place and Sushi on 5 which wouldn’t work for your husband.  

On the Summit, if you are dining in Blu you can order from the MDR menu as well as the Blu menu.

I like the idea of Blu and checking out the MDR menu.  Great choice!

Tuscan < sounds perfect.

we could get thrown out of Qsine.  We are the 3 happy ...... NO! NOT stooges, silly.

Sharing plates sounds like perfect fun for us.  These are my 2 favorite men.  Lou was my best friend for a few decades.  I used to call him my best girlfriend-he’s Gay.  I met Jim waiting in line to ride Big Thunder Mountain.  Luckily, Lou and Jim quickly best friends.  On a trip to Disneyland the girls down the hall thought Jim and Lou were married!

its great traveling with Lou.  Besides traveling with our own physician, those two can go off hours (I cannot do long excursions) and Jim has someone to share the experience.

Qsine will be perfect for us.

Thank you for the advice. 😆❤️

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

We have often been disappointed with "meat" (steaks, prime rib) on Celebrity.  However, we have found the slow braised meats to be exceptional - lamb shanks, beef short ribs, etc.  If your husband likes those he will be very happy.  

If it Moos, he likes it.  I’ll tell him.

Thank you for the warning. 🐂👌

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Filet in Tuscan is usually good.  Don't write off Sushi on 5 totally.  I believe they have a gourmet burger and maybe something else he might want to try.

Blu menu doesn't really have great beef entries but if he happened to like Duck or Lamb there might be some things there to try.

Ill checkout the sushi menu for Jim food.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Pot Roast with extra gravy.  By far a favorite.  There is a small, roadside diner in Maine that has a great Pot Roast special on Tuesdays.  We now have to plan to be in Rockport on Tuesday so Jim can have his pot roast when we travel to Maine.

Jim is certainly determined. ❤️

Thank you for the Sushi on 5 tip.👍😁

Not certain if you would want to enjoy a dinner in Bermuda.

If so, I would like to suggest the Waterlot Inn.

It is our go to / celebratory spot when we vacation in Bermuda.

The filet mignon is very good, the service ( at least in our experience) has been top - notch and the desserts are very good. Your DH May enjoy a very delicious meat and potato meal there !

The atmosphere is warm,with dark woods and comfortable seating.

The last time we were there,about three years ago,they did require jackets for the gentleman diners. That may have recently changed.

We are planning a resort stay in Bermuda this November. We will definitely be going to the Waterlot.

It is not really a tourist spot as many Bermudians dine there.

I hope you enjoy your Summit cruise!

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Not certain if you would want to enjoy a dinner in Bermuda.

If so, I would like to suggest the Waterlot Inn.

It is our go to / celebratory spot when we vacation in Bermuda.

The filet mignon is very good, the service ( at least in our experience) has been top - notch and the desserts are very good. Your DH May enjoy a very delicious meat and potato meal there !

The atmosphere is warm,with dark woods and comfortable seating.

The last time we were there,about three years ago,they did require jackets for the gentleman diners. That may have recently changed.

We are planning a resort stay in Bermuda this November. We will definitely be going to the Waterlot.

It is not really a tourist spot as many Bermudians dine there.

I hope you enjoy your Summit cruise!

My Jim is not a jacket kind of guy but I’ll certainly copy your note to Jim and Lou.

My one sadness ..... I will not make it to St. George’s.

You see, in another life (80’s early 90’s)  I was a yacht captain running a private 60’ Sailing yacht. Bermuda was my second home and we stayed WAAAAY out there.

i wish .......  well, I’ll tell the boys what to look for and send them out on their scooters.  (I know but the both ride  Motorcycles.)

Things to checkout in St George’s ...

Bermuda cut a path through the coral so teeny little ships could call on St George’s.  I watched Celebrity’s Zenith go through once.  Guests could hand me a drink they were so close.

Bermuda Harbor Radio is just outside St. George’s.  Decades ago an oil tanker crashed on a reef and destroyed acres of coral reef - Bermuda’s only protection from giant waves.

They created a powerful radio station which tracks all inbound and outbound traffic.

i was hurt in a storm approaching Bermuda.  They caught our radar reflection and guided the yacht through the tiny channel , in the tail end of the storm.

A few days later they called me to remind me flat on my back could be achieved on deck in the sunshine.  (They liked me because I always brought fresh baked goodies after I settled in from a passage.)

Thank you for the heads up for Waterloo Inn.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed! 🙏🤞❤️

Donut23

I am sorry to hear that you had an accident in the Bermuda waters.

For my DH and I,we consider.Bermuda a second home as well although our times there have been mostly spent on land.

Over thirty-five years,since our honeymoon, we have vacationed there many,many times. We have visited during all the seasons. I personally enjoy the “off”months so that we can spend time in Bermuda without the crowds and humidity.

One day, I felt that I truly belonged there when tourists stopped us on Front Street in Hamilton to ask for directions to the bus terminal. I was pleased to be able to direct them and send them on their way !

The-trip we have planned in November involves something on my “bucket list”.

I am hoping to play the golf course at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. Fingers crossed,we will be able to do this. At this point in our lives, we have been deterred from some travels due to health issues. However,we continue to plan trips and consider ourselves blessed when our plans work out.

The Waterlot Inn is across from the Princess  hotel.I am thinking it is on the South Road in Southampton Parish.

However you are able to spend your time 

in Bermuda, I do wish you,your Jim and your friend Lou a very enjoyable vacation !

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Donut23

I am sorry to hear that you had an accident in the Bermuda waters.

For my DH and I,we consider.Bermuda a second home as well although our times there have been mostly spent on land.

Over thirty-five years,since our honeymoon, we have vacationed there many,many times. We have visited during all the seasons. I personally enjoy the “off”months so that we can spend time in Bermuda without the crowds and humidity.

One day, I felt that I truly belonged there when tourists stopped us on Front Street in Hamilton to ask for directions to the bus terminal. I was pleased to be able to direct them and send them on their way !

The-trip we have planned in November involves something on my “bucket list”.

I am hoping to play the golf course at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. Fingers crossed,we will be able to do this. At this point in our lives, we have been deterred from some travels due to health issues. However,we continue to plan trips and consider ourselves blessed when our plans work out.

The Waterlot Inn is across from the Princess  hotel.I am thinking it is on the South Road in Southampton Parish.

However you are able to spend your time 

in Bermuda, I do wish you,your Jim and your friend Lou a very enjoyable vacation !

What a lovely note, thank you. ❤️

Accident was after I moved ashore (to take care of my ailing mother.)

On a blistering hot day in DC, I was helping an account setup an outside display for a boatshow at National Harbor.  Big 100’ x 150’ tall circus type tent.

Dark sky, we started to pack up.  A small tornado skipped down the National Mall killing a young boy on a school trip, injuring others.

Our giant tent flipped and landed on me.  I screamed like a cheep B movie star!  Haha. I was cut out before I suffocated.

The show sent me photos of the hole in the tent.  Jim called it the Donut Hole (his name for me is Donut).

Both knees and one ankle were partially crushed.

LOVE the Fairmont Princess.

We used to stay at the Hamilton Princess moving the boat south in the fall.  (You know I was a yacht captain) The Boss loved it there.  He would come and stay on the boat and always took the delivery crew to Sunday Brunch in the hotel.

i tried staying at the Bermuda Yacht Club which had reciprocity with my hometown Yacht Club UNTIL I discovered they had a gentleman-only Club room.

My crew was still tying up, setting up the power etc.  I stormed down the dock, hopped on the boat, we dropped the lines, the Boss arranged the tie-up at the Hamilton Princess and there we stayed after that.  Guess what?  I got to know the head chef when he was invited to the boat for dinner.  He gave me a tour of HIS kitchen!  It was fascinating!👍😉

im glad you still go.  Bermuda, for me, is like Alaska.  Once you see it, this love gets into your blood stream and you must return - cannot live without a visit.

im not sure how I will handle it, but I must return to Alaska.  Trip #8 for me.

Everybody else ..... so sorry to take over this thread.

May I ask?  What is your most favorite meal on Celebrity?

Donut23, 

Sincere best wishes for a really fantastic cruise! It sounds like you have had a difficult time and need it...

I also now cruise with bad knees and ankles! I have even cruised with an orthopaedic boot post surgery. Although many excursions are beyond me it does mean that we do make the most of the ship! 

I did make use of the ‘ducking stool’ to get in and out of the Solarium pool and really benefited from it. Staff could not have been more sensitive or helpful. We also requested additional ice in the suite so if anything started swelling I was ready! If you haven’t already got a sunbed or a footstool on your balcony see if your room attendant can round one up for you...

Tuscan ribeye steak is my favourite meal on the M class ships, they also have a nice pistachio creme brûlée...Ask for the antipasti board before your starters.

I think Q’sine now shows ‘Le Petit Chef’ during the cruise (can someone confirm?). If they do you will love it, we giggled right through...

Sincere best wishes again to you all for a fantastic cruise!

No necessarily a favorite meal, but a favorite place on the Summit.

AlBacio (sp?) is a comfortable area that serves specialty coffees and teas plus sweet treats. There is a charge for the beverages,but the treats are complimentary. 

There are comfortable chairs with sea views in this area.

On the cruise we took last Summer, we frequented this place daily!

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

No necessarily a favorite meal, but a favorite place on the Summit.

AlBacio (sp?) is a comfortable area that serves specialty coffees and teas plus sweet treats. There is a charge for the beverages,but the treats are complimentary. 

There are comfortable chairs with sea views in this area.

On the cruise we took last Summer, we frequented this place daily!

Oooooooop!  I LOVE tea and quiet time to visit with my Hubby and I haven’t seen Lou in over a year.

Its Funny.  Jim is not the least jealous of my friendship.  Lou and I answer each other’s sentences and Jim is now a good friend of Lou.

A visit to a quiet coffee shop is a perfect place for the three of us.  I’ll be looking for the creamy treats.  Lou eats the largest.  Jim ...... not a sweets fan will pick something he hadn’t tried before.

Thank you so much for the great idea!🥟🧁🍰🎂🍮🎉❤️

3 hours ago, Donut23 said:

Oooooooop!  I LOVE tea and quiet time to visit with my Hubby and I haven’t seen Lou in over a year.

Its Funny.  Jim is not the least jealous of my friendship.  Lou and I answer each other’s sentences and Jim is now a good friend of Lou.

A visit to a quiet coffee shop is a perfect place for the three of us.  I’ll be looking for the creamy treats.  Lou eats the largest.  Jim ...... not a sweets fan will pick something he hadn’t tried before.

Thank you so much for the great idea!🥟🧁🍰🎂🍮🎉❤️

If you like creamy treats, there is a cake I had in Café Al Bacio that is so good. It's their Tres Leches cake. It is creamy, sweet but not sickeningly so, covered in a fluffy soft meringue like frosting. I hope they still make it, looking forward to having it with a nice latte in September. 

Edited by bermadu22

9 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

If you like creamy treats, there is a cake I had in Café Al Bacio that is so good. It's their Tres Leches cake. It is creamy, sweet but not sickeningly so, covered in a fluffy soft meringue like frosting. I hope they still make it, looking forward to having it with a nice latte in September. 

I wonder how close the Cafe is to the boarding doors?  Sounds like a first-day visit is in order.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Thanks👍🤗

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 1:42 AM, Donut23 said:

I wonder how close the Cafe is to the boarding doors?  Sounds like a first-day visit is in order.

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Thanks👍🤗

At Boardwalk Bakery at Boardwalk Resort (Walt Disney World) they have a creamy Sugarfree Cheesecake option.

When we stay at an EPCOT Resort Jim understands his first duty as a husband is to hitup Boardwalk Bakery for SF Cheesecake.  (He goes before he unpacks).

could be the same for the Summit.

Priorities!  😉👍

Edited by Donut23
Typo

Cafe Baccio used to be more  quiet and less busy.   On some ships recently,  there are long lines for coffee and other items, and slow table service.  Has also become a default card room some days, tying up tables for ling periods.

We still enjoy afternoon coffees and tea with some nice treats,,...biscotti, cookies, mini pastries,,,yummy!   Lucky, if they have a guitar player there too!

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

Cafe Baccio used to be more  quiet and less busy.   On some ships recently,  there are long lines for coffee and other items, and slow table service.  Has also become a default card room some days, tying up tables for ling periods.

We still enjoy afternoon coffees and tea with some nice treats,,...biscotti, cookies, mini pastries,,,yummy!   Lucky, if they have a guitar player there too!

Dont you hate it when places we love are discovered and change.  😞

On 7/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, Donut23 said:

Hello Celebrities!  I need help.

Celebrity royally messed up our reservation around final payment.  As a result we had to battle Celebrity for my Handicapped Cabin back ( legs don’t work well after accident )

other bennies ...

Friend got a free inside cabin near us and all AC benefits - they changed the classification to a double instead of a triple.

we can dine in Blu or Main Dining

we can take advantage of alternate dining at no charge all 7 nights

We are flagged as VVIP’s

(yes, it was Celebrity was that bad)

I need your help!

our friend and I our adventurous and will try anything.

Hubby (the kindest man on the plant) is a Meat and Potatos kind of guy.  He now enjoys salads thanks to giant Maryland tomatoes, not much on vegetables, WILL try soups and after a childhood of fish sticks on Fridays he eats NO seafood. 😢. I have tried.

i want my Jim to enjoy Celebrity.  So far, he is a dedicated Royal Caribbeanator.  We were married on the Radiance.

We can dine anywhere.  What do you suggest??

I was pretty seriously sick earlier, only made final payment because we have Travel Guard Trip Insurance.  I’m better enough to give it a try as long as we take it easy.  Dining will be fun.

We can finally plan and I want my Jim to have a fabulous time as I sit and sun on our ginormous balcony.

59 days from today to Bermuda.

Thank you for your suggestions. 👍❤️

I don't understand a part of your Original Post, if your friend has an inside cabin, how do you get to eat in Blu.  Also, Celebrity has always been very strict about non AQ cabins not eating in Blu.  Are you in and AQ cabin and I sure hope you got that in writing.  

1 hour ago, Donut23 said:

Dont you hate it when places we love are discovered and change.  😞

Started with the drink packages...folks saw it as a shortcut to get theirs quicker...not that quick anymore, also good take out coffees!

Anyhow,  if it's too busy, noisy...we move on til we locate a nice spot to  sit for awhile indoors.