Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

19 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

When I booked, I was told that I could make any changes with no penalties, up to 30 or 60 days- not sure.  I booked with Next Cruise while on the Anthem.  They said nothing about refundable/ non-refundable, however when they handed me the invoice, I looked it over and clearly saw that it was NRD.  It was for 2 of us, and we had paid for insurance already, so I was okay with it.  IMO, I don't buy any vacation and not go over my invoice carefully to make sure I got everything I paid for and that everything is correct!  It is unfortunate and I do have to say that I believe the whole refundable/ non-refundable deposit is for the birds....  Even though they like the fact of the lower price, there can be a higher cost down the road if one needs to cancel. 

Next Cruise rules are different than other booking rules.

And every Next Cruise I booked, I had to sign a document that I understood that the deposit was non-refundable and what that meant.

Last cruise, I booked two with Next Cruise and had to sign the document for EACH cruise.

Hmm, so you are against non-refundable lower airline or hotel prices?  MANY industries do this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

When I read the OPs post, I read it like when she was on Allure last October she booked a cruise for this October. 😜

It's interesting how people read that in different ways based upon our experiences.   I have never done a Next Cruise booking while onboard a ship.   Thought not how it was written exactly, and word order does  make a huge difference,  I read the intent as "Last October, I booked a cruise for October 20, 2019 on Allure of the Seas."    I can see though  how people thought it meant "While onboard Allure of the Seas last October, I booked a cruise for October 20, 2019." 

It is a bit confusing and leaves much open for assuming the situation.

15 hours ago, arabrab said:

I'm sorry for the OP.  We've cruised RC, Princess, HAL, and (long ago) Epirotiki.  I hadn't heard of non-refundable deposits, and I appreciate the info as we will now be warned.  I believe that quite a few of the posters here are being unduly harsh with the OP. When you're not expecting non-refundable deposits, it is easy to miss the note -- which isn't exactly in large print on the confirmation.  It might be well known for those who cruise RC all the time, but that leaves a lot of people out. 

I have only cruised once with Royal and that was in 2011. This was new to me as well but I read everything and saw that the deposit was non refundable. There is some personal responsibility involved here. 

• Like 1

This story is making less and less sense to me.  An Oct 20 sail date is still 100 day away.  She is not inside the final payment date.  She will lose the deposit but nothing else.  I'm don't understand where the $2000 dollars come into play here.  I'm sure it is just my reading comprehension that is at fault here but could somebody explain how she is throwing away $2000.

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

This story is making less and less sense to me.  An Oct 20 sail date is still 100 day away.  She is not inside the final payment date.  She will lose the deposit but nothing else.  I'm don't understand where the $2000 dollars come into play here.  I'm sure it is just my reading comprehension that is at fault here but could somebody explain how she is throwing away $2000.

I'm guessing the cruise is for 8 people each with a $250 deposit. 

Just curious but did she pay for the entire family? Also the son that cant go, if it was only, for example, a $250 deposit, then all she would have lost was $250. I have 5 kids ranging from ages 17 to 29 and they would have been livid as would my husband if I canceled a cruise for spite.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Just curious but did she pay for the entire family? Also the son that cant go, if it was only, for example, a $250 deposit, then all she would have lost was $250. I have 5 kids ranging from ages 17 to 29 and they would have been livid as would my husband if I canceled a cruise for spite.

We have a family cruise with 7 people scheduled this Dec. 4 adults and 3 kids...   If one of them was unable to go, to bad so sad for them.  We'll send you email with pictures of us enjoying ourselves.  I understand the OP is angry and feels they were cheated but I'm not throwing away $2000 when all I need to throw away is $250

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

We have a family cruise with 7 people scheduled this Dec. 4 adults and 3 kids...   If one of them was unable to go, to bad so sad for them.  We'll send you email with pictures of us enjoying ourselves.  I understand the OP is angry and feels they were cheated but I'm not throwing away $2000 when all I need to throw away is $250

I guess when I hit the jackpot I can pick and choose which cruise lines to just cancel a vacation with for no particular reason

• Like 2

Just now, FLACRUISER99 said:

First post says cruise is for 6 people. $600 change fee.

If you read my post I said, for example, $250. I was referring to one person canceling not all 6. I used a $250 number since that was my deposit for an upcoming cruise.  

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I guess when I hit the jackpot I can pick and choose which cruise lines to just cancel a vacation with for no particular reason

I doubt I would even if I hit the jackpot.🤣

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

If you read my post I said, for example, $250. I was referring to one person canceling not all 6. I used a $250 number since that was my deposit for an upcoming cruise.  

I read your post, I quoted Smplybcause who was answering Tree_skier question on how the the $2000 loss by the OP came from. 2000/6 = 333.34

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, gooselover said:

But the rep should have CLEARLY stated it was nonrefundable!  I would have gladly paid a little more to have it refundable.

@gooselover - do you realize, after all of these posts, that the price difference between refundable and nonrefundable fares for all six of you, would almost definitely (because I'm not going to say "always"), would have been more than $600?  

That alone should make you reconsider your decision to cancel.  You are not really "out $600", and you do not have to sacrifice the balance of the deposits, which should be $150 pp, or $900, because THAT will be applied to whichever future cruise you select instead.

I just think that you are making yourself miserable unnecessarily.  You booked a cruise because you wanted to take your family on a cruise.  That is still possible.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

@gooselover - do you realize, after all of these posts, that the price difference between refundable and nonrefundable fares for all six of you, would almost definitely (because I'm not going to say "always"), would have been more than $600?  

That alone should make you reconsider your decision to cancel.  You are not really "out $600", and you do not have to sacrifice the balance of the deposits, which should be $150 pp, or $900, because THAT will be applied to whichever future cruise you select instead.

I just think that you are making yourself miserable unnecessarily.  You booked a cruise because you wanted to take your family on a cruise.  That is still possible.

YES!!! Just reading through this thread and finally got to the end and I've been saying this in my mind since the beginning. Had the cruise been booked as refundable in the beginning I'm 99% sure the cost would've been $600 or more higher than what they paid. This is all for not. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot - OMG I can't even.......🤦‍♀️

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That's right... Ok so someone still has to explain the $2000 to me?

The OP has said the total deposit was $2000 (perhaps a combination of suite and non-suites for six people?).  

If they rebook this cruise to a time that the OP's son can attend, they'd be out $600 in change fees.

If they just cancel the cruise entirely and refuse to ever cruise on RCI again, they will lose the $600 deposits PLUS the $1400 in Future Cruise Credits for the rest of the deposit amount.  $600 + $1400 = $2000.

Edited by brillohead

21 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I get the impression that this is the OP's preferred state of mind....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Usually people who start 'Never Again' threads aren't looking for advice and I applaud those who in their good nature continue to offer it. Me? I got nothing. Happier sailings with whoever you sail with OP.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, brillohead said:

Speaking of Travel Agents, any decent TA will get you the same OR BETTER pricing as you'll get from the RCI website/call center, and also hold the room(s) for 24 hours and give you a chance to look over the entire booking confirmation/invoice before putting any money down.   I'd recommend the OP try using a reputable TA next time

'nuff said

• Like 1