Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

OP:  "I would NEVER book a nonrefundable to begin with and we have been on numerous cruises! " "I am VERY familiar with refundable and nonrefundable. We are experienced cruisers! "

Well, OP, apparently you are not VERY familiar with refundable and nonrefundable deposits contrary to your statements. Just another wa wa wa from someone who refuses to admit his error.  

Another reason to use a cruise TA.  This would either not have happened with an experienced TA or you would have recourse against the TA's errors and omissions business insurance.

RCCL did nothing wrong. 

• Like 2

I read to page 3 where you cancelled the cruise and lost $2000 deposit. You're better than me. I would cruise without my son.  No way I'm losing $2000. I would have the wife invite her best friend and make the best friend pay her way to recoup the son's cruise fare. But water under the bridge. Whoa $2000 down the drain. Umm I couldn't do it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

Not against it at all....we paid $100 per person deposit so I was not going to be hung up on the NRD due to the low amount and having the insurance.  I was just saying that I always look over my invoice to make sure I am satisfied that the info is all correct and that I got what I paid for.  I have booked refundable and NRD....just depends. 

I generally am opposed to NRD cruise fares. However, my TA messed up and booked me an NRD reservation for next year. However, she somehow managed to do it during Celebrity's $25 deposit special and I ended up with a better price than I should have so I decided that I could live with $50 of NRD deposits. I'm not sure how she managed to do it since the $25 deposit was supposed to have been on refundable fares (since $25 isn't much of a disincentive to book and cancel at the last minute).

I will say that hotels do a much better job of showing refundable and non-refundable options when booking. Royal's website doesn't give you that choice and hides the non-refundable fact until the very end of the reservation process.

If the OP were to take the $100PP hit and rebook for another cruise, could she then book a refundable fare and cancel and get the rest of the money back? Or do they require you to book a NRD fare again?

Edited by MisterBill99

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I don't know...👍

Third base!

Pitching: Today

Catching: Tomorrow

1st: Who

2nd: What

3rd: I don't know

SS: I don't give a darn

LF: Why

CF: Because

RF:  ???

Right field is never named. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

Not against it at all....we paid $100 per person deposit so I was not going to be hung up on the NRD due to the low amount and having the insurance.  I was just saying that I always look over my invoice to make sure I am satisfied that the info is all correct and that I got what I paid for.  I have booked refundable and NRD....just depends. 

Next Cruise booking also allows changes within 30 or 60 days.

15 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

OP:  "I would NEVER book a nonrefundable to begin with and we have been on numerous cruises! " "I am VERY familiar with refundable and nonrefundable. We are experienced cruisers! "

Well, OP, apparently you are not VERY familiar with refundable and nonrefundable deposits contrary to your statements. Just another wa wa wa from someone who refuses to admit his error.  

RCCL did nothing wrong. 

OH YEAH.  If they are familiar with RD and NRD, why didn't they make SURE they got refundable.

ASKING for it, and CONFIRMING it.

Another hole in the story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I generally am opposed to NRD cruise fares. However, my TA messed up and booked me an NRD reservation for next year. However, she somehow managed to do it during Celebrity's $25 deposit special and I ended up with a better price than I should have so I decided that I could live with $50 of NRD deposits. I'm not sure how she managed to do it since the $25 deposit was supposed to have been on refundable fares (since $25 isn't much of a disincentive to book and cancel at the last minute).

I will say that hotels do a much better job of showing refundable and non-refundable options when booking. Royal's website doesn't give you that choice and hides the non-refundable fact until the very end of the reservation process.

If the OP were to take the $100PP hit and rebook for another cruise, could she then book a refundable fare and cancel and get the rest of the money back? Or do they require you to book a NRD fare again?

I think the FCC given for the balance of the deposit can only be used to pay for the cruise, not the deposit, so if the OP booked another cruise, they would have to pay the deposit up front and then the FCC could be used for the balance, if that cruise was cancelled the FCC would be reissued

Edited by uksimonusa

34 minutes ago, uksimonusa said:

I think the FCC given for the balance of the deposit can only be used to pay for the cruise, not the deposit, so if the OP booked another cruise, they would have to pay the deposit up front and then the FCC could be used for the balance, if that cruise was cancelled the FCC would be reissued

Correct! 👍

On 7/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I sympathize with the OP.  I recently called to make a booking and at no time did the rep use the words non refundable.  It would have been in my documents but as stated we often don’t read the fine print.  I’m well aware of the practice change but if you haven’t cruised for a while with RCCL or are new to cruising you might not know the questions to ask.

The reps DO NOT make it clear.  They don’t even offer the non refundable unless you ask. I have 2 adult kids each looking at booking cruises right now and have warned them to ask and be clear about what they are placing a deposit for.  

Lesson learned I’m sure but it can be a bummer to learn the hard way. I can understand why the OP would be upset but also unfortunately I’m sure there is no re- course.  This and no longer offering reduced deposits are one reason we are starting to search for new lines to try.  We’re still happy with the RCCL product overall but not so happy with some of the new practices.

I agree with this. I booked a cruise on RCCL a couple months ago.  Online, the ONLY option was non-refundable.  I tried to figure out how to book a NR and there was no option.  I was surprised, because usually you get to choose this with most cruise lines. I had to call to get the price for the refundable, and even then they kept quoting me NR and i had to say, but how much for the refundable.    Maybe this is SOP for RCCL ,but since I haven't cruised on RCCL for 15 years and this is NOT SOP on other cruise lines I found it odd.  I do feel bad for OP, but as mad as you are, I would rather eat the $600 than the $2k and go ahead and book another cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I agree with this. I booked a cruise on RCCL a couple months ago.  Online, the ONLY option was non-refundable.  I tried to figure out how to book a NR and there was no option.  I was surprised, because usually you get to choose this with most cruise lines. I had to call to get the price for the refundable, and even then they kept quoting me NR and i had to say, but how much for the refundable.    Maybe this is SOP for RCCL ,but since I haven't cruised on RCCL for 15 years and this is NOT SOP on other cruise lines I found it odd.  I do feel bad for OP, but as mad as you are, I would rather eat the $600 than the $2k and go ahead and book another cruise.

As has been stated several  times on this thread,  the refundable deposit IS visible when booking online.  After you fill out the names for the reservation and go to the next page, there are options for dining time and insurance.  Another option is for making the deposit refundable.

This is all before you submit credit card information.

53 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

As has been stated several  times on this thread,  the refundable deposit IS visible when booking online.  After you fill out the names for the reservation and go to the next page, there are options for dining time and insurance.  Another option is for making the deposit refundable.

I must have missed that post on on this thread (that once you go through giving them all your information they will THEN give you an option for a refundable deposit). 

So in RCCLs world, I choose the cruise, choose the room, see the final price and the notice that the deposit is non-refundable (with no option presented at that time for a refundable deposit), and I should say "Wow, I don't want a NR deposit.  But, what the heck, I will just continue to book this cruise, fill out all this information, and give them my CC info even though I don't want to book the cruise with the terms presented!"  Uh, no.  I called RCCL and say, I want to book this cruise, but online I see that the deposit is NR.  Do you have a refundable deposit option?

On 7/12/2019 at 6:53 AM, Bloodgem said:

I'm struggling with the fact that the son can not go on the cruise because he started his new job in January. I may be misinterpreting post 1 wrong but if the son did starting his new job in January than his new employers has plenty of time to arrange cover for a cruise in October.  

Not all companies are flexible. My company opens leave in October for following year and only two allowed leave at same time. Once its booked up, that's it... Having said that, most companies will honour a prepaid /booked holiday when you negotiate your terms when starting a new job

Edited by sgmn

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Why should anyone have to go through all that effort to finally see the actual price they will have to pay for the cruise? That is a lot of effort to find out it is more that you want to pay and abort the booking.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why should anyone have to go through all that effort to finally see the actual price they will have to pay for the cruise? That is a lot of effort to find out it is more that you want to pay and abort the booking.

Agree, but that is the kind of company RC is these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We don't.

Using our TA solves that challenge easily. They get us both the refundable and non-refundable pricing with no additional effort on our part. Easy peasy.