World Cruise 2020

turtlemichael

Loving all the pictures and just catching up.  Did you read the inscriptions at the park in Ushuaia where you took the pictures? They are in Spanish, but are basically a memorial to lives lost in the Malvinas (Falklands), and go on about how Argentina really owns them and is going to reclaim them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Did you read the inscriptions at the park in Ushuaia where you took the pictures?  ...go on about how Argentina really owns them and is going to reclaim them.

Same with the English Tower in Buenos Aires.  It’s funny how after seven decades, politicians feel history can be so easily changed.

• Haha 1

Greetings from San Juan Batista, the only town on Robinson Crusoe Island, with a population of about 850.  In February 2010 it was it by tsunami caused by an earthquake in Chile.  The 10 foot high waves caused a lot of damage and 16 people died.

A few pics from our 3 mile walkabout.  Could not get to Mirador de Selkirk or Plazoleta El Yunque as there were heavy rains  last night and the trails were very muddy and slippery.  The expedition team organized 1 hour zodiac safaris to see the island and seals.

C839221B-15D4-4DB2-93F7-4B5A2EE65B71.jpeg

0ACD4B5E-5E09-47C5-9E51-333E1DFF4A52.jpeg

16B6B8A3-A274-47D3-AB50-66A805D00E7D.jpeg

8A1C6BCD-8786-49D5-A316-26F76E54C17E.jpeg

78D672B9-0827-481E-9B7D-02F3FB3DD918.jpeg

DB7C0C0E-9683-4923-8090-173B599F90A3.jpeg

55B5E21E-612D-476A-B386-7C488913AE27.jpeg

8B9A4773-593E-4994-97C6-96D6741617C9.jpeg

69BE279E-F60D-4A7A-97F6-2263B0B5051A.jpeg

135162C9-8E67-47E4-90E8-91979B2C8160.jpeg

3F9DA039-2666-448A-ABBD-E52F6315747C.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Tomorrow night, the future cruise consultant is doing a presentation on WC 2022 - Tale of Tales.

For those of us unable to do a World Cruise, would you kindly ask the consultant after her presentation is over when SS plans to extend the classic fleet schedule?  I assume it'll be end of March, but curious if she may have a date at this point.

11 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

For those of us unable to do a World Cruise, would you kindly ask the consultant after her presentation is over when SS plans to extend the classic fleet schedule?  I assume it'll be end of March, but curious if she may have a date at this point.

I asked Barrie and he said probably April or May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the second time, Fernando announced that the Captain wanted to talk to all guests in the afternoon in the show lounge.  First time was skipping Port Stanley and heading directly to Antarctica and this time it was missing the island of Mangareva.  Apparently, the access channel is not deep enough.  Thus, we will have a sea day and Fakavara will be our substitute port.  

• Like 2

I started a new thread for the WC 2022 benefits and itinerary.  Attached is the gala dinner menu for the WC 2022 launch.  Today is our 4th sea day and tomorrow is Easter Island.  We are overnight as there an overland returning from their trip to Macchu Picchu.  Hopefully, we we get ashore and they can return to the ship.

022020-1.pdf 022020-2.pdf

• Like 2

Today is day 1 at Easter Island and the swells got the better of us and were not able to tender in.  Twelve guests doing the Machu Picchu overland are getting a complimentary 5 hour tour with lunch and an extra overnight.  I knew when I got up at 7 AM, that we would not make it in.  The Captain extended our stay here tomorrow an extra 5 hours until 6 PM and Leandro, the Shorex manager, was able to get additional capacity so everyone that had a tour scheduled today, could go tomorrow.  Some pics from the ship.  The ones with the big waves are where we ere supposed to tender in.  Also, this morning we had a beautiful full double rainbow.  It was so close I could not get a picture on the entire rainbow.

Photos in next post

Edited by DCCruiser57
Add photos
  • Like 2

The swells won out on day 2, but there were able to get the 12 overlanders and their luggage using the zodiacs.  We are now cruising around to the south side to wher there a group of 15 or so Moais.  The Captain they may try to do some zodiac cruising if conditions are favorable.

• Like 2