New Years Eve: MDR or Crown Grill?

disneyochem

Quick question—we will be on the Grand Hawaiian cruise on NYE out of SF this December.  We want to have a special dinner that night so I have reservations at the Crown Grill.  A seasoned cruiser told me that most cruise lines have a special menu to celebrate NYE and to save my money!   Is there a special or different menu on NYE in the MDR on the Grand?

Thanks!

They usually will do a formal night dinner menu in MDR, that evening. Maybe 2 added options out of the ordinary on the menu for dinner and dessert. I've sailed on board for Christmas and New year's for over 10yrs now. They do a fabulous job onboard princess.

45 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Quick question—we will be on the Grand Hawaiian cruise on NYE out of SF this December.  We want to have a special dinner that night so I have reservations at the Crown Grill.  A seasoned cruiser told me that most cruise lines have a special menu to celebrate NYE and to save my money!   Is there a special or different menu on NYE in the MDR on the Grand?

Thanks!

It's the normal formal night menu. Usually the lobster one.  Also pass out hats and noisemakers.. which they do in CG, etc also.

I'd go with CG for sure - but then we're not overly fussed about the MDR menus. Just be sure to finish before 10:30/11 - the parties around the ship are wonderful and get going around 11.  Band in the atrium, music in Explorer's and Wheelhouse, deck party weather permitting, Skywalkers after hours, etc. 

Enjoy!!

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Also pass out hats and noisemakers..

I have never understood about the hats. WHY would adults want to wear the stupid hats? I'm also a weirdo who doesn't like Crown Grill because neither I nor my wife can eat that big of a dinner.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

We’ve done both on NYE.  As others have said, the menu is the special formal night menu in the main dining room.  However, the Crown offers flexibility.

Here is what we find is different for us on NYE.  Once we had early dining in Main at 5:00.  We were finished eating around 6:30 and it felt like forever until the NYE festivities began!  By the time midnight struck 5.5 hours later, we were like over it.  So, I’d recommend a late Club Class dinner (or late anytime Dining if you have anytime), or a late Reservation for the Crown (or other Specialty Dining).  It makes the evening more relaxed for us.

Hope this is helpful.  Safe Journeys, Paul

P.S.  Love the Hats and Tiaras.  Just like the old time NYE parties...

We ate at the Crown Grill on New Year's Eve on the Caribbean Princess several years ago. It was a great meal. It was on a short cruise, so no formal night in the main dining rooms. They classified it as "dress to impress" night, and lots of people dressed up. I saw more men in tuxedos than I've seen in years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, Jeter02 said:

They usually will do a formal night dinner menu in MDR, that evening. Maybe 2 added options out of the ordinary on the menu for dinner and dessert. I've sailed on board for Christmas and New year's for over 10yrs now. They do a fabulous job onboard princess.

We are doing a 10-day Christmas cruise on the Crown.  When you mention special dinners on Christmas, was that Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  I'm trying to book all specialty dining ahead, as we had trouble booking CG onboard Royal in 2017. Didn't understand, as there were so many empty tables when we got there (the one slot they had left).  Also, do we pay ahead for specialty?  OK, as long as I can switch it around onboard if necessary.  Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Madio said:

We are doing a 10-day Christmas cruise on the Crown.  When you mention special dinners on Christmas, was that Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  I'm trying to book all specialty dining ahead, as we had trouble booking CG onboard Royal in 2017. Didn't understand, as there were so many empty tables when we got there (the one slot they had left).  Also, do we pay ahead for specialty?  OK, as long as I can switch it around onboard if necessary.  Thanks! 

That's. Great question. Well I do remember that they put cute little itty bitty stockings with chocolates and a candy cane in your during turndown service on Christmas Eve. As for the dinners, Christmas Day is the dinner they do as the formal holiday dinner.

7 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

That's. Great question. Well I do remember that they put cute little itty bitty stockings with chocolates and a candy cane in your during turndown service on Christmas Eve. As for the dinners, Christmas Day is the dinner they do as the formal holiday dinner.

Thanks!  That was the answer I was looking for.

For us, we would prefer the DR since the menu is always better for special occasions & go to the Specialty restaurant when the main DR menu is less appealing.

Unless wearing a celebration hat is important to you. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

I agree. We once went to Crown Grill on a formal night, and we were sorry we missed a great dinner in the MDR. The food in the MDR seems to be a bit better on formal nights. Now we go to the specialty restaurants on a regular night when we don't care if we miss a MDR menu.

I love being on board for the holidays, especially New Years. The ship is festive and hopping. We did the OP's itinerary last year and loved the cruise so much we are doing it again!!!

• Like 1

My experience on Royal Princess this past NYE:  If you are in Anytime Dining, be prepared for a long wait inasmuch as that dining room was very busy.  I arrived at 8:00 P. M., was given a pager and told there would be a 20 minute wait.  (I was unable to make an advance reservation that morning.)  My pager went off at 9:20 P. M.!  I would choose Crown Grill for a specific dining time.  

If you have a fixed dining time, the MDR would probably be more festive with a good formal night menu.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, disneyochem said:

Thanks!

yes, they have a "special dinner" equal to a formal night.  We prefer for NYE to eat in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's only because no hullabaloo (excuse spelling) is created while trying to dine.  The MDR is way tooooo noisy for us.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Knickearth said:

yes, they have a "special dinner" equal to a formal night.  We prefer for NYE to eat in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's only because no hullabaloo (excuse spelling) is created while trying to dine.  The MDR is way tooooo noisy for us.

Thanks for this perspective!  I think we will be eating at the Crown Grille on NYE.