Royal Caribbean Credit Card

Ok so I know this isn't the best credit card out there, but is it unreasonable to get this card, get the $100 OBC and then cancel it post cruise? I feel like the incentive is pretty good since they give you the $100 on any purchase. 

There are definitely cards out there that pay better rewards. But, we're always too tempted to spend those rewards on other things. We use our RCCL card quite a bit and watch the points grow. Those points become part of our "cruise fund".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vitesacd said:

Ok so I know this isn't the best credit card out there, but is it unreasonable to get this card, get the $100 OBC and then cancel it post cruise? I feel like the incentive is pretty good since they give you the $100 on any purchase. 

Not unreasonable at all.  Use it for the bonus points.

21 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not unreasonable at all.  Use it for the bonus points.

Please clarify. I own the stock, since the beginning, so get $100 obc from that. I have had the RCL Visa for 10 years. Do you get $100 obc just having the card?

You build up points by spending with the card and use that for obc, correct?

2 minutes ago, vettprincess said:

Please clarify. I own the stock, since the beginning, so get $100 obc from that. I have had the RCL Visa for 10 years. Do you get $100 obc just having the card?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/visa-signature-card

2 minutes ago, vettprincess said:

I believe you get 10K points for a new card signup, which can be redeemed for $100 OBC.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vitesacd said:

Not unreasonable...we applied for the RCCL visa card...redeemed the $100...we don't use it anymore...zero balance...didn't cancel...nice to look at the card once in a while. 😎

Haha I plan to do the same! Sonetime !    

But for now I am under 5/24, at 3/24 to be exact and I will apply a couple of much better credit cards first.  

Once I am above 5/24 I will do a flurry of cruise cards all at once and get OBC for them all.  And then wait till I drop below 5/24 and start again. 

Haha!  

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, vettprincess said:

You had the card for 10 years and haven't redeemed any points yet?

You might have lost the first 5 years worth of points. Unless they changed the terms, the points expire after 60 months.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

There are definitely cards out there that pay better rewards. But, we're always too tempted to spend those rewards on other things. We use our RCCL card quite a bit and watch the points grow. Those points become part of our "cruise fund".

Same here.

With the other cards, with better rewards, we find ourselves spending the $$$  in dribs and drabs, here and there on Amazon purchases or gift cards, etc.

It's nice to have one, large dedicated "cruise" fund.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, vettprincess said:

When is the last time you got that?

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You had the card for 10 years and haven't redeemed any points yet?

You might have lost the first 5 years worth of points. Unless they changed the terms, the points expire after 60 months.

I did not say I had not redeemed points in the past. Did that long time ago.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, Host Clarea said:

I believe you get 10K points for a new card signup, which can be redeemed for $100 OBC.

Sign up and use it.  I forget how much you have to spend in the first 3 months to get the bonus.

I got the card, charged the cruise, and ended up for $200 OBC from the card.  I could have canceled at that point, but they also offered me 0% interest for 18 months. 😄

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Sign up and use it.  I forget how much you have to spend in the first 3 months to get the bonus. ...

For us, it was any single charge at all, no minimum.

We have had this card for 15 years. It is our primary card so we use it a lot. We rack up points pretty quick. Back before they changed the redemption breakdown we sailed for free (+ taxes) To Caribbean for 4 nights, but now it takes alot to get a free cruise so we use points for paying down a cruise and/or for drink packages and dining. 

Edited by Davidlmc
  • Like 1

I use it for big purchases, then pay off before the grace period. Used points many times for 3-4 night cruises when we lived in Jax. Now that we're closer to Pcola, just use it for 7 night cruises. Only 20,051 points to the next free one!

Rewards

Total Points: 104,949 MyCruise® Points

Edited by TYMAN

Yep, we do a lot of the above! We use our RCCL Visa for absolutely everything and pay it off before the due date to avoid any charges, rack up our cruise points, and then redeem all of the available OBC for our upcoming cruise!!! Even if you don't use all of the OBC, any leftover from the cruise goes right back as a credit on your Visa to help pay any incurred expenses!! Win!! Win!!

My main card is a United Visa card, which I love for cashing in miles for flights...but (always at the worst times) some creeps stole the number (for a fourth time in 20 years! 😡) which just happened again.  I am thinking of getting the RCI card as a back up emergency card, and to use it to pay off some cruises to earn a little OBC.  From what I understand, there is no annual fee?...so that makes it even nicer to have.  🙂  

Only use it to pay for RCL cruises. With 13 cruises currently booked, it earns a chunk of points every month. Always pay it off every month, so never have any added interest expense.  Use an Amazon Visa for everything else.

1 hour ago, Davidlmc said:

We have had this card for 15 years. It is our primary card so we use it a lot. We rack up points pretty quick. Back before they changed the redemption breakdown we sailed for free (+ taxes) To Caribbean for 4 nights, but now it takes alot to get a free cruise so we use points for paying down a cruise and/or for drink packages and dining. 

You are leaving a LOT of credit card incentive on the table by using only that card.

Citi® Double Cash Card

(I have it) that pays 1% for charges and an additional 1% when you pay it.

The only thing Royal's card is good for is the first time bonus you get. That's about all especially for using only for OBC

Dan and I have both gotten the card, signup bonus and then cancelled them several times throughout the years.  Don't bother using it these days. Back then redemptions were not so restricted.

Edited by molly361

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You are leaving a LOT of credit card incentive on the table by using only that card.

Citi® Double Cash Card

(I have it) that pays 1% for charges and an additional 1% when you pay it.

The only thing Royal's card is good for is the first time bonus you get. That's about all especially for using only for OBC

You are also leaving a lot of $$ on the table. Amazon Prime Visa gives me 5% on Amazon purchases, 2% on gas, pharmacy and restaurants, and 1% on everything else.