Caribbean Princess starting on July 27

CruiseVA

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Oh Northern Light what a dreadful injury! Did you have Princess Insurance or absolutely none? (If you dont mind my being nosey)

I guess my words weren’t correct...I broke my ankle a long time ago and not when cruising.  Just understanding what 1stCruiser is going thru.

sandy

So sorry your trip was cut short 1stCruiser. Fingers crossed all goes well for a speedy recovery 🤞.

We’ve had a fabulous cruise and would repeat the itinerary tomorrow if we could. The ports and entertainment have been the highlight for us. We also like the new Market Place set-up - so much easier to get seats etc. in Planks and Steamers each morning; it didn’t feel like a ‘cattle market’ in the slightest. Service in the bars was great, but we felt the shops, surprisingly, were a different ‘kettle of fish’.  

Luckily, we have met some wonderful people on this cruise and thanks to all of you for enhancing our vacation. Safe travels home 😘.

5 hours ago, 1stCruiser said:

Well, I won't be disembarking tomorrow as planned as we are already off the ship. On Sunday (Saint-John) while visiting the Bay of Fundy, I fell and broke my ankle. After xrays at the emergency showed it was indeed a break (requiring surgery), my DH had to go back and pack up our bags. Customer service was very helpful and someone helped DH get all our things together.  They even packed up the 2 dozen water bottles.  My DH gave them to the security people - he had enough bags to lug on his own!  After spending the night at the hospital, we decided to drive home to Montreal (10 hour painful ride) so that I could have the surgery here at home. 

We always think these things happen to other people… well, they don't. Although I have medical insurance, we did not have trip insurance, so no possibility of recovering part of the cost of the cruise. I guess some will say the moral of the story is to have trip insurance, so we'll see for next time… 

Thanks CruiseVA for posting the Patters. I have kept all the Patters from all my cruises but unfortunately my DH forgot to take them during the kerfuffle of packing.

Well, we did have 8 fabulous days out of the 13 planned. We will definitely have to do this itinerary again - hopefully all 13 days next time! 

Safe travels home to everyone and happy future cruising.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your ankle.....wishing you a speedy recovery!

Our hotel in Montreal called last night to say that due to a “technical issue” they could not accommodate us. Everything ran smoothly up until then. At 4:30 this morning I was finally able to book a similar room in the same neighborhood. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 1stCruiser said:

Well, I won't be disembarking tomorrow as planned as we are already off the ship. On Sunday (Saint-John) while visiting the Bay of Fundy, I fell and broke my ankle. After xrays at the emergency showed it was indeed a break (requiring surgery), my DH had to go back and pack up our bags. Customer service was very helpful and someone helped DH get all our things together.  They even packed up the 2 dozen water bottles.  My DH gave them to the security people - he had enough bags to lug on his own!  After spending the night at the hospital, we decided to drive home to Montreal (10 hour painful ride) so that I could have the surgery here at home. 

We always think these things happen to other people… well, they don't. Although I have medical insurance, we did not have trip insurance, so no possibility of recovering part of the cost of the cruise. I guess some will say the moral of the story is to have trip insurance, so we'll see for next time… 

Thanks CruiseVA for posting the Patters. I have kept all the Patters from all my cruises but unfortunately my DH forgot to take them during the kerfuffle of packing.

Well, we did have 8 fabulous days out of the 13 planned. We will definitely have to do this itinerary again - hopefully all 13 days next time! 

Safe travels home to everyone and happy future cruising.  

I'm so sorry for your injury.

Trip insurance (not medical insurance) is a gamble. Think of it this way - the amount of money you would have spent on various cruises over the years would be more than what it cost you to rent that car and drive home and the missing days of the this cruise. 

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Sorry to hear about your ankle.....wishing you a speedy recovery!

Our hotel in Montreal called last night to say that due to a “technical issue” they could not accommodate us. Everything ran smoothly up until then. At 4:30 this morning I was finally able to book a similar room in the same neighborhood. 

Glad you were finally sorted. We wish we were staying on for a few more days 😪.

Ok, so I’m only about 2/3 through this thread, & must say there’s lots of different viewpoints being offered. Passengers too old, too many kids running around, captain can’t speak English, tenders too crowded, theater empty, theater crowded, Medallion is great, medallion sucks, bet a key card, can’t get a key card. Usually a live from thread is one person’s experience; this one’s a group effort! And a Tough crowd!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richsea said:

Ok, so I’m only about 2/3 through this thread, & must say there’s lots of different viewpoints being offered. Passengers too old, too many kids running around, captain can’t speak English, tenders too crowded, theater empty, theater crowded, Medallion is great, medallion sucks, bet a key card, can’t get a key card. Usually a live from thread is one person’s experience; this one’s a group effort! And a Tough crowd!

That was the plan, one persons opinion v. many people that have been active on the Roll Call for this cruise. 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, Northern Light said:

If it is convenient, I have a favour to ask.  If anyone plans on taking a taxi upon disembarkation, would you be so kind as to post your experience in this forum.  Taxis are a dime a dozen in Ft. Lauderdale but suspect QC will be very different so would aopreciate knowing how difficult this was.  Thanks a bunch.

Thanks CruiseVA for posting the Patters...most helpful.

Sandy

It was super easy to get a taxi this morning; they were lined up ready and waiting when I disembarked (my time was 9.15, although they were running about 30 minutes early, so I was outside in the taxi line by about 8.50am or so).  The line moved quickly.  One caveat:  the walk to the taxi line is very long and seemingly circuitous  -- it's not like in FLL or some other ports where it's only a few yards from baggage claim to the curbside.  There was a stage set-up for the comedy festival in town, so I don't know if the walkway had to be routed around that outdoor stage or if it's always like that, but if you have a great deal of luggage, you might want to plan on a porter just in case.  There were plenty of those available, too.    

Had dinner down in Vieux Quebec this evening and the CB was all lit up and looked lovely.   

18 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

It was super easy to get a taxi this morning; they were lined up ready and waiting when I disembarked (my time was 9.15, although they were running about 30 minutes early, so I was outside in the taxi line by about 8.50am or so).  The line moved quickly.  One caveat:  the walk to the taxi line is very long and seemingly circuitous  -- it's not like in FLL or some other ports where it's only a few yards from baggage claim to the curbside.  There was a stage set-up for the comedy festival in town, so I don't know if the walkway had to be routed around that outdoor stage or if it's always like that, but if you have a great deal of luggage, you might want to plan on a porter just in case.  There were plenty of those available, too.    

Had dinner down in Vieux Quebec this evening and the CB was all lit up and looked lovely.   

Thank you very much rdsgrl for your kindness in letting us know about the taxi situation.   We so very much appreciate having this knowledge beforehand.  My luggage is on spinner wheels, DH's isn't so a porter will be worthwhile.  Enjoy your time in Quebec City and safe journey when you head home.

Sandy

We did the self disembarkation and walked 10 minutes to the train station for our ride to Montréal. The official walk-off times were between 4-5am. We walked off around 6:15 with zero hassle. The crew was fantastic....they had just finished several months of 7 day Caribbean sailings, so the change of scenery and routine were a welcomed change to them. 

55E0197E-8DF4-4A2A-90C5-05C9734D3E46.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

We did the self disembarkation and walked 10 minutes to the train station for our ride to Montréal. The official walk-off times were between 4-5am. We walked off around 6:15 with zero hassle. The crew was fantastic....they had just finished several months of 7 day Caribbean sailings, so the change of scenery and routine were a welcomed change to them. 

We're there on October 24th for the reverse route back to FLL. We are ready for much cooler weather being all the triple digit temps we've been getting here in the Houston area.

BTW, thanks to all who contributed to this thread, it has been entertaining.

Edited by CC Rider 69
  • Like 1

We took the post cruise shore excursion with Princess as we had a late flight out of Quebec. The tour was good and the guide was very informative. She took us to the old town and we walked around the Citadel/Hotel Frontenac for around 50 minutes before heading off to Abraham Plains for a photo opportunity, and we finished off at Montmorency Falls. At the end, you are dropped off at Quebec Airport. 

Just a word of warning, the airport is small with not much seating and there is only one coffee cafe this side of security. Only Air Canada lets you check in 3 hours prior to boarding, the other airlines were 2 hours prior. Even when you pass through security, there is only one duty-free shop and a couple of snack bars.

The Captain was going home after our sailing. I have never felt the vibrations on a ship like I did on Caribbean Princess when coming into port. We had to virtually hold things down as there was so much movement in our cabin. I’m not saying he was heavy handed, but I’m just glad I don’t have false teeth 😆

RichSea,

I personally think it’s good to see things from different perspectives. We are not Elite cruisers on Princess and travelled with teens, so our interests and viewpoints will definitely be different from those in their 80s with walkers. The theatre was empty on the last night, but our experience for all the other second showings (9.15pm) were that it was far too crowded and a Fire Marshal would have probably shut it down if they’d witnessed how many pax were standing/sitting on/all up the stairs etc. We don’t have our dinner until 7.15pm, so again, our experience compared to those queueing up to eat at 5pm, would have also been different in the first theatre showing at 7pm. We found that after the later theatre performance, many pax went to bed and the ship was very quiet. We were often the last ones in the Wheelhouse Bar at 11.15.

The Scottish piano player in Crooners was a scream!! Very witty and we enjoyed it immensely. On many evenings, guests were having to stand to watch him as there aren't many chairs in that area. Static were also great in the Explorer’s Lounge.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CC Rider 69 said:

We're there on October 24th for the reverse route back to FLL. We are ready for much cooler weather being all the triple digit temps we've been getting here in the Houston area.

We did the reverse last year and it snowed in Quebec the 3rd day. Was suppose to be there 2 nights and wound up 3.We missed only one port in Canada due to snow. Missed Bar Harbor due to wind.We loved the cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat.Ours was on the Royal Princess.We board the Caribbean Princess August 19th for Canada and Greenland. Thanks to all that posted on the Live thread. We are looking forward to boarding . This will be our 4th time on Caribbean Princess but only the first since their remodel.

Edited by san diego sue

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Thanks so much or the information and the photo.  With the latter I was able to find the exact location of the disembarkation dock and it's distance from Rail Station by using Google Earth.  Can you tell us a little of the clearance procedure.  Because of our wheelchair condition we wonder if we could leave the luggage in the terminal while one party takes the other to the station waiting room in the chair.  Then, returning to the luggage area, pick up the luggage.  Would this work?  

47 minutes ago, ONT-CA said:

Can you tell us a little of the clearance procedure.  Because of our wheelchair condition we wonder if we could leave the luggage in the terminal while one party takes the other to the station waiting room in the chair.  Then, returning to the luggage area, pick up the luggage.  Would this work?  

We walked off with our luggage, so we bypassed all of this. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We walked off with our luggage, so we bypassed all of this. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you.

As you walked off did you have to go through Canadian Immigration and Customs?  If so then we would unlikely be able to return for the luggage.

We realize we can take a taxi but to load up a cab with two of us, two large suitcases and a wheel chair and ask the driver to take us to a destination that we can walk to in ten minutes makes for unpleasantries.

Edited by ONT-CA

1 hour ago, ONT-CA said:

As you walked off did you have to go through Canadian Immigration and Customs?  If so then we would unlikely be able to return for the luggage.

We realize we can take a taxi but to load up a cab with two of us, two large suitcases and a wheel chair and ask the driver to take us to a destination that we can walk to in ten minutes makes for unpleasantries.

Customs happens at your first Canadian port of call, which was St John in our case. All that was involved was filling out a form that was in our cabin with a detailed instruction sheet. Room stewards collected the forms, and that’s all there was to it. No checkpoints.

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm not sure how long they will let your luggage sit there, and, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get back in. I have no idea who to talk to about. I'd suggest using the Uber app & scheduling an Uber XL (usually a minivan). 

12 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

I think you’d have to consider the weather conditions too if you plan on walking. The day we arrived it was absolutely pouring and although the train station doesn’t appear to be far, you’d have been soaked within a few minutes.

A few bags were even placed up high on some trollies during disembarkation; my DH struggled removing one of our larger suitcases from the top. It may be easier just to get a porter to assist you in the terminal building and then to grab a cab or perhaps Princess Special Assistance may have further suggestions?

• Thanks 1

What cabin did you stay in ? Enjoyed your review so much. Do you recommend staying another night in Quebec before flying back to Florida or taking the excursion from the ship to the airport like I read on this review with sightseeing?😀

On 8/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, licram said:

What cabin did you stay in ? Enjoyed your review so much. Do you recommend staying another night in Quebec before flying back to Florida or taking the excursion from the ship to the airport like I read on this review with sightseeing?😀

We were in Caribe C710 - the balcony was a fabulous size. We were offered a free cruise to move into an inside, but declined (we had the kids near us in another cabin). If you can stay on in Quebec or Montreal after the cruise, then do. We had to return for work commitments - oh, not having to worry about that when we retire will be brilliant 🤣.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, CC Rider 69 said:

CC Rider 69, I can relate!  We’re on the 9/14 Quebec City to NYC and can’t wait for cooler temps.  We too live in the Houston area (Clear Lake/Seabrook), it’s been brutally hot, ahhhh to need to wear a sweater!