Edge vs Apex What will change?

johhnnyt

On 12/8/2019 at 6:34 PM, RodPat said:

On the S class we always take a Royal Suite.  I guess I am just spoiled by that room.  Other than the tub in the CS on Edge I was still quite pleased with the cabin.

Pat

I agree that the tub on the CS was small. I brought spa items for long soaks, and skipped it in the CS. This year we did two CS cruises and I learned to appreciate them after years of thinking they were no big deal.

I sailed on one of the Edge preview cruises last December and a week cruise this past January, both in the IV, which I would not choose to do again, as I prefer the traditional balcony.  The main point for me is that the Edge (and Apex) offer a different cruising experience, which anyone is welcome to try, or return to time and time again.  But I see no reason to take a successful class of ship (Solstice class) and try to turn them into something they are not, nor were ever designed to be.  Let those of us who love the S-class be able to travel on those ships as they are, and those who love the Edge class can travel on those.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Shimsdan said:

I sailed on one of the Edge preview cruises last December and a week cruise this past January, both in the IV, which I would not choose to do again, as I prefer the traditional balcony.  The main point for me is that the Edge (and Apex) offer a different cruising experience, which anyone is welcome to try, or return to time and time again.  But I see no reason to take a successful class of ship (Solstice class) and try to turn them into something they are not, nor were ever designed to be.  Let those of us who love the S-class be able to travel on those ships as they are, and those who love the Edge class can travel on those.  

Lots of dedicated fans here for S-Class including me.  I did enjoy Edge too but agree that some furnishings were poor choices.  Most of the S-Class ships still need to undergo the Revolution and get needed updates.  But what is not needed is for them to be Hoppenized with uncomfortable furnishings.  It would be nice if Celebrity adopted a strategy of "Modernization without Hoppenization" after reading the comments from a lot of passengers.  Surely they can find comfortable and functional contemporary furnishings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We cruised Edge back in February and really enjoyed some of the new features of the class.  Looking forward to Apex.  The primary thing that I did notice was that the theatre seemed far too small for the size of the ship.  Even running 3 shows a night, there was never enough seating.  If you weren't there 25 minutes before the show started; you were standing. 

4 hours ago, robinsonchadwick said:

The primary thing that I did notice was that the theatre seemed far too small for the size of the ship.  Even running 3 shows a night, there was never enough seating.  If you weren't there 25 minutes before the show started; you were standing. 

I hope this is not the norm to be there 25 minutes before shows every night. We never seemed to have problems getting seats on the M or S class ships, except the odd time. We usually arrive 10 to 15 minutes before show.

Thanks, at least its good to know before we sale on the Apex.

13 hours ago, robinsonchadwick said:

We cruised Edge back in February and really enjoyed some of the new features of the class.  Looking forward to Apex.  The primary thing that I did notice was that the theatre seemed far too small for the size of the ship.  Even running 3 shows a night, there was never enough seating.  If you weren't there 25 minutes before the show started; you were standing. 

I also remember not the greatest shows and the acoustics were poor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, Germancruiser said:

The more i read about the Edge- the less I have a desire to board any time soon! Since I only can write about what i read about this silly Magic Carpet- I take it is pretty useless and pretty ugly to look at from the outside!

Then that will be your loss. Its a fabulous ship. Maybe a bit too modern for some traditionalists it seems.

Magic carpet you can take or leave. If you dont use it, it doesnt affect you, does it?

Eden is the best part of the ship. A beautiful space with weird yet very entertaining performers. Loved it. Give me that over boring old traditional song and dance shows.

Would sail on Edeg again tomorrow. Anywhere.

We went to see a show most evenings and there were plenty of empty seats. Infact there was plenty of everything all over the ship. Plenty of tables to sit and have a drink, plenty of places to chill by the pool. Everything.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:35 PM, johhnnyt said:

Hi Lisa,

I know from my Navy experience when a new class of vessel is created, there always lessons learned after the first one is launched, and it's an going process to make each vessel better than the last based on feedback from guests, onboard teams and corporate lessons learned . I was wondering if you could share some of the changes we'll be seeing on Apex and Beyond  (literally and figuratively). 

Personally I loved just about everything about Edge, so much so that I'll be doing an Edge TA on November 1st 2019, but did see a few tweaks I would have made going forward. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

John

Perhaps the cruise prices will be affordable one day?

If I had one complaint its more to do with some of the passengers who seem to think sitting on stools by the bars is theirs for the duration, and make it very dificult for others to get served. And on the same theme a couple of bars are short staffed especially when they take forever to make the various ridiculous cocktails that some seem to think is all they are just there for. Fine. They do cocktails, but if there are just 2 staff and are both making a coupl eof each, they take forever, and the queues build. All I want is a beer.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 6:27 AM, Cruise a holic said:

I also remember not the greatest shows and the acoustics were poor.

We  mostly enjoyed the  shows on both our EDGE cruises.. very creative  with talented cast members .    Loved the theater but it is small.

Some of the  "headliner " solo guest entertainers did not match the hype.. had  loud volume!  Not many truly  big stars emerge from TV talent shows!

We went about 25 min ahead,  and enjoyed an after dinner drink so we could get our fav aisle seats towards the rear.... just in case  an early exit was needed.,,some  of it was way too loud or not our style.

22 hours ago, DarrenM said:

We went to see a show most evenings and there were plenty of empty seats. Infact there was plenty of everything all over the ship. Plenty of tables to sit and have a drink, plenty of places to chill by the pool. Everything.

We had an enjoyable cruise on Edge. Liked the IV cabin. However, found two things there are not plenty of: Elevators (AKA Lifts) and space in Blu for those traveling in Aqua Class. Spent far too much time waiting for elevators and they were far too crowded. Blu was often too crowded. We had to wait 35 minutes for a table one evening when we arrived at 6:40 p.m. This has happened to us a couple of times on M class ships but never on S Class.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:49 PM, johhnnyt said:

I think like everything else in life, the price only goes up each year

Yes, I anticipate modest price increases, but the cruise prices for those two new ships are ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, edgee said:

We had an enjoyable cruise on Edge. Liked the IV cabin. However, found two things there are not plenty of: Elevators (AKA Lifts) and space in Blu for those traveling in Aqua Class. Spent far too much time waiting for elevators and they were far too crowded. Blu was often too crowded. We had to wait 35 minutes for a table one evening when we arrived at 6:40 p.m. This has happened to us a couple of times on M class ships but never on S Class.

Agree... inadequate elevators. Very busy at prime times

Worse when we were in  SV..way aft  so less choice.  Had to build in travel time!

Love BLU on M and S Class, but BLU on EDGE was a one and done for us due to location, lack of view and acoustics.  Food and staff excellent....but very slow kitchen on  some nights!

It has been eight months since we cruised aboard the Celebrity Edge. Wanting to continue to explore the latest in cruise experiences, we placed deposits on two new ships that were still under construction … so had been pre-occupied on which one we cruise with later this year.  Those two ships have just had their inaugural cruises … the Sky Princess and Norwegian Encore. We can only go on one but with the reviews starting to come in, we have time to decide. I recall how we were unsure about the Edge back before it sailed also.  So while checking in on Princess and NCL, I'd thought I'd pop back into the Celebrity Forum, as we have a cruise aboard the Apex … for April 2021, which we booked when we were aboard the Edge. 

I certainly do remember the questions and concerns swirling about the Celebrity Edge back then. Now that we have cruised the Edge, we can say the following … 

• We liked the Infinite Verandah stateroom.  DW enjoyed the floor to ceiling scenic view from bed. It was a bit of a surprise to see how good the view is, of being able to see people on their verandah on the other ship as they cruise by while you're docked ... and then realizing if they have that great a view of you inside your stateroom while getting dressed - lol.  
  • Liked the Oceanview Cafe and most of its offerings
  • Enjoyed being able to dine in the four main dining rooms. Though there was a miss or two with some of the signature dishes. 
  • The Magic Carpet is a nice feature. However if it was no longer there, wouldn't miss it.
  •  Eden is a unique area but didn't spend much time there at all. Don't know if I just didn't 'feel the vibe' of that space - it certainly is nice during the day, a quiet area. The Grand Plaza is a nice atrium - but doesn't have the feel of a big soaring central gathering area.
  • The Sunset bar area needs some sort of overhead cover.
  • Fine Cut Steakhouse was ok ... Café al Bacio is a nice place.

Overall we enjoyed the Edge and interested to see if there will any changes when the Apex comes out.  

Edited by FM

On 1/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, DarrenM said:

If I had one complaint its more to do with some of the passengers who seem to think sitting on stools by the bars is theirs for the duration, and make it very dificult for others to get served. And on the same theme a couple of bars are short staffed especially when they take forever to make the various ridiculous cocktails that some seem to think is all they are just there for. Fine. They do cocktails, but if there are just 2 staff and are both making a coupl eof each, they take forever, and the queues build. All I want is a beer.

I agree with you, there are some passengers that feel their placed at the bar is reserved for them during the entire cruise.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, 4774Papa said:

Yes, I anticipate modest price increases, but the cruise prices for those two new ships are ridiculous.

You just have to watch the sales.  We booked during the Veteran's Day sale and an IV cabin on Edge was only $25 more PP than an Equinox balcony for the same week.  The two Edge cruises prior to the one we booked were even cheaper.

To FM,

I hope you decide on Princess Sky. I hear it is a nice ship and I am doing Baltics in July of this year. 

As for the Encore, I would say it has negatives and you would be better off doing Bliss or the Escape which also does the Baltics from Copenhagen.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, 4774Papa said:

We got an inside cabin for the Mediterranean sailing for $1139 each... drink package, WiFi, gratuities, and $250 each on board credit. This is by far a way better than my NCL Alaskan sailing in August. That was $1399 without any perks

We sailed on Edge in AQ in Nov.   We loved the ship, warts and all.  We never saw the orange thing move and tendering in Georgetown was done with Cayman shuttles.

The IV is a nice window that we never opened.  I like to snooze on the balcony while my wife loves the A/C in the cabin.  However we are just as happy with an OV or even insides on other ships so the IV class is not the reason we would pick that cabin.

We are booked on Edge for a B2B at the end of the month $2,000 per cruise including gratuities.

We booked Apex for 2021 because we do like the overall experience.

Prices for Europe are insane but there are deals to be had if you can travel off peak times.  Apex was cheaper on a daily basis than Constellation out of Tampa... go figure.

57 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

We got an inside cabin for the Mediterranean sailing for $1139 each... drink package, WiFi, gratuities, and $250 each on board credit. This is by far a way better than my NCL Alaskan sailing in August. That was $1399 without any perks

Glad it worked out for you.

However, the cruises that I have checked seem to show prices for these ships that are at least 50% higher than other Celebrity similar cruises, or those from other main cruise lines.  I suspect that after the newness wears off that prices will drop a bit.

Also, we would never cruise in an inside cabin and don't do the Caribbean.  We do a lot of transatlantic cruises.  We wanted to do a cruise from Rome to the USA in Oct 2021 and grabbed the one on the Constellation over the inflated pricey one on Edge.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard they have changed the furniture on those balcony´s already. But still they look rather like a very, very, extremly sorry escuse of balcony furniture!

My dearest friends talked me into booking Apex for June. I was quite unsure if  i ever would set foot on board of one of X´s newest baby´s- there we are- and to the excitement of exploring a brand new ship took over- against all the missgivings I had!

So i   go with an open mind- and look forward to my first cruise on board the Apex.