Concierge Service for Platinum guests?

pacey50

It exists if you're persistent. 

I needed some help with a restaurant reservation, and Guest Services refused to put me through to the concierge despite me telling them it's a clearly stated Platinum benefit. They tried to argue that concierge service for Platinum guests was actually handled by the CruiseNext team, but I said that's obviously nonsense. The concierge means the concierge (since the CruiseNext team can't do anything about restaurants, etc), and that if I wasn't promptly put through I'd be calling the Hotel Director immediately and explaining the situation.

30 seconds later they put me through to someone on the actual Concierge staff, and I had my restaurant issue resolved in 2 minutes. 

• Like 3

I’ve posted this comment many times “if it’s not a platinum benefit delete it from the list of benefits, if it is, provide the service”. Perhaps when people attend the Latitudes reception they can press the issue with the officers and CruiseNext reps in attendance.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I’ve posted this comment many times “if it’s not a platinum benefit delete it from the list of benefits, if it is, provide the service”. Perhaps when people attend the Latitudes reception they can press the issue with the officers and CruiseNext reps in attendance.

5 hours ago, pacey50 said:

We are now platinum guests and was wondering how we go about getting in contact with the Concierge service to make dinner/show reservations?

It is Fake News. The benefit does not exist (and we are Platinum Plus members). 

The "latitudes reception" basically invites anyone who has ever cruised on NCL to a wine and cheese group hug. They use to give out prizes. Not any more. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is Fake News. The benefit does not exist (and we are Platinum Plus members). 

The "latitudes reception" basically invites anyone who has ever cruised on NCL to a wine and cheese group hug. They use to give out prizes. Not any more. 

It exists if you insist. See above,

I was very pleasantly surprised in Miami for my last cruise on BA (June 30 - July 7). I entered the lounge area as a Platinum but was directed further down to a pink sign which was the usual sign for Platinum area, however, this was different and VERY nice. I went through a doorway, accessed by showing my card to a nice gentleman "guarding" the entrance.  The room was fairly small with lots of seating but had a nice little buffet with drinks, pastries, muffins and fruit. It was well supplied with coffee, tea and juices.  

Quite different from the Platinum area I was dirrected to in January. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It is Fake News.

I really wish people would stop needlessly tossing this term around. Normalizing the term "fake news" simply erodes critical thinking. It's dismissive and it adds nothing of value.

If you disagree with a poster, say so and say why.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 9

We (as Platinum members) still had access to "limited" concierge services (not pre-cruise) onboard/embarkation day with dining & show reservations in 2015 on the Breakaway.  It came as part of the Welcome Abroad letter with an extension, I posted about this back then - it was routed, apparently, as I found out where - to the Shorex Team, where the CruiseNext reps are based ... Shawn was the liaison then (last ran into him on the Escape, not too long ago) 

It has limited use for us and not a big deal, but it was - more or less, described as being a perk or benefit.  IMHO, it has been virtually eliminated but NCL choose to continue to include its description in writing in the mini booklet.  We no longer see the welcome letter, personalized with our names & stateroom #.  

On the mega/Away+ ships, it is - practically speaking - nearly impossible to get concierge services for dining & show reservations, unless you are in Haven (or, in full suite) but we, the passengers on a NCL cruise, did not "make" this up in our dreams in our imaginations.  Times have changed, but that should be worded & discussed differently.  

• Like 1

unless I'm mistaken , I consider my PCC from NCL my concierge. Been using him for @5yrs now and once cruise is booked , he does my SDP dinners , Lattitude dinners, as well as any of the needed booked shows...

Used him yrs ago for a family cruise of 4cabins and all food venues were booked SDP's even mdr's, and all shows...on the Breakaway

Edited by magicmawk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

unless I'm mistaken , I consider my PCC from NCL my concierge

It's not at all the same thing.

The concierge onboard can get some things done which are near impossible for pax onboard, most notable would be getting reservations for dining or a show that are otherwise booked solid.  Your PCC would never be able to get you priority disembark, either.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I really wish people would stop needlessly tossing this term around. Normalizing the term "fake news" simply erodes critical thinking. It's dismissive and it adds nothing of value.

If you disagree with a poster, say so and say why.

Totally agree, though in this case it might actually be appropriate. "Fake news" definitionally means something published that is demonstrably false, versus how the orange author of that phrase uses it, which is to dismiss things that are demonstrably true but he just disagrees with or thinks make him look bad. 

In this case NCL is putting out a document stating that Platinum guests have concierge service, which seems to be at least mostly untrue. In this instance "fake news" actually seems appropriate. The more "orange" use of the term would have been, say, if after the news about the Breakaway failing a sanitary inspection came out, FDR went on camera saying, "That's just fake news, folks." 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

The concierge onboard can get some things done which are near impossible for pax onboard, most notable would be getting reservations for dining or a show that are otherwise booked solid.  Your PCC would never be able to get you priority disembark, either.

If you have cruised before and used the services of the (Onboard) Concierge you will have noticed that he/she has

full access to the computer reservations structure and can bend mold create a solution to almost any problem as

it happens on board IN REAL TIME.

Any other Pre-Concierge PCC TA or agent has to deal with the hope that promised instructions bookings will be

honored even those so much in writing.

With more and more guests achieving the Platinum status one or two Concierge with assistants is just not going

to cut the mustard. Never have so few been called to do so much that has been promised and is yet to be delivered !

Even the suite Haven level guests are sometimes left out in the lurch !

It is a blessing when some guests just do it themselves and lighten the demanding burden on services.

Yes NCL needs to remove the Platinum hype of perk services that can not be completed routinely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I was very pleasantly surprised in Miami for my last cruise on BA (June 30 - July 7). I entered the lounge area as a Platinum but was directed further down to a pink sign which was the usual sign for Platinum area, however, this was different and VERY nice. I went through a doorway, accessed by showing my card to a nice gentleman "guarding" the entrance.  The room was fairly small with lots of seating but had a nice little buffet with drinks, pastries, muffins and fruit. It was well supplied with coffee, tea and juices.  

Quite different from the Platinum area I was dirrected to in January. 

Very interesting!   When we went on the Breakaway in early May (May 5), there wasn't anyone checking your cards by the Platinum area.    

Did they then notify you to board just after Haven? 

(This has been almost a do-it-yourself effort my last couple of times out of Miami)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pacey50 said:

We are now platinum guests and was wondering how we go about getting in contact with the Concierge service to make dinner/show reservations?

been platinum for years, never even met the concierge. I am not sure what you would use him or her for...I take that back, I have met many of them but that has been simply when we have had VIP treatment for some reason, but that has nothing to do with being platinum.  

9 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Very interesting!   When we went on the Breakaway in early May (May 5), there wasn't anyone checking your cards by the Platinum area.    

Did they then notify you to board just after Haven? 

(This has been almost a do-it-yourself effort my last couple of times out of Miami)

Yes, I was one of the first pax in the area and there was only 15 of us when they came in to take a count.  They allowed to board as a group around 11:15. None of the bars were open except Mixx, lol.  Had my first ever lemon drop martini there. 

Did they have the buffet set up in the little room when you boarded in May?  Most I talked to seemed to think it was first time they'd seen/used it.

11 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Maybe I misunderstood the topic..Not including getting on or off the the ship. I have been using the same PCC for 6+ cruises. Once he books my cruise , when the time comes , he books my SDP restaurants , Lattitude restaurants, booked shows and on the BA , the mdr's as well..

On my upcoming cruise , a 4th cruise perk was added after all was said n done.

Call NCL & hook up with a PCC...lol..they want your business..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

It exists if you're persistent. 

I needed some help with a restaurant reservation, and Guest Services refused to put me through to the concierge despite me telling them it's a clearly stated Platinum benefit. They tried to argue that concierge service for Platinum guests was actually handled by the CruiseNext team, but I said that's obviously nonsense. The concierge means the concierge (since the CruiseNext team can't do anything about restaurants, etc), and that if I wasn't promptly put through I'd be calling the Hotel Director immediately and explaining the situation.

30 seconds later they put me through to someone on the actual Concierge staff, and I had my restaurant issue resolved in 2 minutes. 

To be honest, if the only way you can get something is by standing at Guest Services and saying that if they don't give you it then you will contact the Hotel Director then it is fair to say that this benefit doesn't really exist in any meaningful way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

Maybe I misunderstood the topic..Not including getting on or off the the ship. I have been using the same PCC for 6+ cruises. Once he books my cruise , when the time comes , he books my SDP restaurants , Lattitude restaurants, booked shows and on the BA , the mdr's as well..

On my upcoming cruise , a 4th cruise perk was added after all was said n done.

Call NCL & hook up with a PCC...lol..they want your business..

The topic is about access to the onboard concierge who does some of these things on the ship. Everyone has access to a PCC beforehand, regardless of latitudes level.

As for their usage, it depends on the individual. I personally never use a concierge onboard (if I have access) or in a hotel etc, because like you I preplan things and do it myself. I find that using the concierge for most things just adds in an unnecessary step to do something I could do myself. I haven't yet been in the position onboard where I have been unable to get something like a restaurant reservation because I have rebooked those things that are limited. I also don't use a PCC as I just book all those things myself anyway. Each to their own.

11 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Totally agree, though in this case it might actually be appropriate. "Fake news" definitionally means something published that is demonstrably false, versus how the orange author of that phrase uses it, which is to dismiss things that are demonstrably true but he just disagrees with or thinks make him look bad. 

In this case NCL is putting out a document stating that Platinum guests have concierge service, which seems to be at least mostly untrue. In this instance "fake news" actually seems appropriate. The more "orange" use of the term would have been, say, if after the news about the Breakaway failing a sanitary inspection came out, FDR went on camera saying, "That's just fake news, folks." 

Stop with the political opinions. No place for that here.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1