Infirmary - could be a movie

bjfitz0703

Was on the Sunrise a few weeks back and on the first sea day, my 16 year old son had cut his finger, so we went to the infirmary to get a band-aid.  Mistake!

My Lord one of the scariest places we have been.  There was a young lady here with her parents who looked green.  So sick.  My son was like Dad did you see that girl?  Also there was a boy in the back screaming at the top of his lungs.  Screaming "what are you doing to me"?  Like they were sawing his foot off.

The "nurse" at the desk was something out of a movie.

Felt like a horror movie.

Had nightmares for days.  We couldn't stop talking about it all week.

Don't go there!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

When I had to go there they put me i a bed. Took xrays, gave me medication and checked me 4 out of the 10 days on the cruise. Total bill was less than $100.00 I do not consider that anywhere near expensive.

for my travel partner, our bill was a little over 3k for iv fluids and check ups.

I have never been in the infirmary on a Carnival ship, but my experience in the infirmary on another cruise line was completely different.  The staff was welcoming, helpful and accommodating.  The doctor was professional and informative.   Had this incident happened at home, I would have gone to a "Minute Clinic" and been treated for the cost of my copay.  On board ship, my private insurance was useless, so I'm glad that I had purchased travel insurance.  The bill was over $200 for the visit, a lab test and a prescription, but it was all covered by my travel insurance. 

32 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Guess you never went to an emergency room. Infirmary not a place for fun. I had to go there once and it was a very professional experience. I would hope you do realize everyone was there and the kid screaming because they needed to be there. Why did you not take band aids with you and some salve? Standard travel items. Yes they do charge. However it is a very small cost to go there. Unlike an emergency room at any hospital. "Had nightmares for days" Really!

Totally agree. Emergency care is not “fun” nor “pretty”. It can be scary, but it is not from a horror movie. As a retired RN, I went to the infirmary to check it out. Everyone there was very professional. And who goes on a cruise without taking basic first aide with them? Hell, I bring my own “pharmacy” and medical supplies with me. I forgot hydrogen peroxide on a cruise two years ago, and went to the infirmary for some. They will not dispense peroxide to anyone, as they say it’s flammable. I bought a small (VERY small) bottle in Cozumel for five times the cost back home for a full size bottle. I now remember my peroxide. 

• Like 4

I hope to never need to find out in person what the infirmary actually looks like, but as my hubby & I age, the reality is that stuff happens, and when you're older, it happens more often! I'm happy to say I never travel without adequate travel insurance now- unlike our younger days when we always figured it wasn't worth the cost!

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

for my travel partner, our bill was a little over 3k for iv fluids and check ups.

No travel insurance, no medical insurance. I sent the bill that I paid to my insurance company and they sent me a check. Did your partner go on the cruise sick? Knowing if something happened it would cost a lot? I cannot imagine a $3,000.00 bill for a simple IV which I had.

I will be forever grateful to the infirmary staff on the Horizon.  They saved my daughters life when she went into diabetic ketoacidosis on the ship.  The care was exceptional.  Never mind that my daughters ex-doctor misdiagnosed her type 1 diabetes. 

She is happy and healthy because of the work of the staff on the ship.  Don't be worried about the care if you happen to have the misfortune to end up there.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, GradUT said:

I have never been in the infirmary on a Carnival ship, but my experience in the infirmary on another cruise line was completely different.  The staff was welcoming, helpful and accommodating.  The doctor was professional and informative.   Had this incident happened at home, I would have gone to a "Minute Clinic" and been treated for the cost of my copay.  On board ship, my private insurance was useless, so I'm glad that I had purchased travel insurance.  The bill was over $200 for the visit, a lab test and a prescription, but it was all covered by my travel insurance. 

I have and on this ship and have nothing but praise for them....

Edited by jimbo5544

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have and on this ship and have nothing but praise for them....

This is reassuring. As I said earlier, I hope we never need the infirmary, but it's good to know they're well-prepared if we have to. I don't really care if it's gloomy, or depressing- I won't be going there for the party atmosphere!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Guess you never went to an emergency room. Infirmary not a place for fun. I had to go there once and it was a very professional experience. I would hope you do realize everyone was there and the kid screaming because they needed to be there. Why did you not take band aids with you and some salve? Standard travel items. Yes they do charge. However it is a very small cost to go there. Unlike an emergency room at any hospital. "Had nightmares for days" Really!

I am the OP.  Turns out my wife had a first aid kit yet the dumb husband/father (me) didn't know that!  It was only like $1.50 for the band aid and ointment pack they gave us.  Yet truly my son and I talk about that place even today!  Seemed like we were in a movie of some kind.  run away!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

This is reassuring. As I said earlier, I hope we never need the infirmary, but it's good to know they're well-prepared if we have to. I don't really care if it's gloomy, or depressing- I won't be going there for the party atmosphere!

It is an infirmary, not depressing or gloomy (and would have preferred not to be there as well).  I have found they are much the same, ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line.  

1 hour ago, bjfitz0703 said:

Was on the Sunrise a few weeks back and on the first sea day, my 16 year old son had cut his finger, so we went to the infirmary to get a band-aid.  Mistake!

My Lord one of the scariest places we have been.  There was a young lady here with her parents who looked green.  So sick.  My son was like Dad did you see that girl?  Also there was a boy in the back screaming at the top of his lungs.  Screaming "what are you doing to me"?  Like they were sawing his foot off.

Don't go there!

Hi 

Sorry, my immediate first thought from your description was that maybe you didn't need to be there.

I worked for 16 yrs. in an emergency dept. of a hospital and what you are describing is a small clinic with at least three quite ill people, you could plainly see/hear that much, and you come "to get a band-aid". 

You don't make any suggestion to what was your issue (unless it's the about you not sleeping well), but as I said, perhaps after a quick evaluation on your part you possibly have come to the conclusion that you didn't need to be there.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bjfitz0703 said:

Don't go there!

Just out of curiosity, is there a "nursing station" separate from the "infirmary" on Carnival ships?

I will be cruising on the Glory in a couple of weeks and will not be traveling with my blood pressure device. Not critical by any means, but wondering if there was a nursing station where I could check my blood pressure. Certainly don't need the bejesus scared out of me 😛

56 minutes ago, SFCanuck said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a "nursing station" separate from the "infirmary" on Carnival ships?

I will be cruising on the Glory in a couple of weeks and will not be traveling with my blood pressure device. Not critical by any means, but wondering if there was a nursing station where I could check my blood pressure. Certainly don't need the bejesus scared out of me 😛

Same place.... and you will not be.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bjfitz0703 said:

Don't go there!

Maybe I am missing something, but you went to the infirmary to get a band-aid???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe I am missing something, but you went to the infirmary to get a band-aid???

What you missed is the explanation. This was a husband—that’s what they do. Just KIDDING. A Logical thought for some. If you have never been before, you might not know the extent of their services. I’ve been told you can go there for (free) sea sickness pills so.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

What you missed is the explanation. This was a husband—that’s what they do. Just KIDDING. A Logical thought for some. If you have never been before, you might not know the extent of their services. I’ve been told you can go there for (free) sea sickness pills so.........

yes that is true. As for the blood pressure. Take you own.