travel adapters

fandash

The cabin has a US style and an EU outlet. The EU outlet is 240v so you just need an EU adaptor. The US style outlet is 110v, so it not only needs a US adaptor, but you can only use it if your device is multivoltage . If it isn't multivoltage you would also need a converter (transformer), but these can be bulky and heavy, and if they fail the results can be disastrous. 

Edited by mom says

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

If it isn't multivoltage you would also need a converter (transformer)

Which devices you need to charge at a cruise ship isn't multi voltage? Normally you photo equipment, mobile phone and tablets  is multi voltage - if you really need 220V use the EU style plugs - bring both US and EU to UK adaptors.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Which devices you need to charge at a cruise ship isn't multi voltage? Normally you photo equipment, mobile phone and tablets  is multi voltage - if you really need 220V use the EU style plugs - bring both US and EU to UK adaptors.

I don't see the OP asking about only charging electronics. They asked about electrical. As in Hairdryers, curling irons, perhaps hair straighteners. Maybe a CPAP,  or a fan. Should I go on?

Edited by mom says

50 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

See your other duplicate thread - it is not necessary to take adapters on board.  Each stateroom has both types.

But the OP is from the UK, so there will be a need for adapters.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

But the OP is from the UK, so there will be a need for adapters.  EM

Maybe I am missing something.  If the stateroom is equipped with both types of plugs to accommodate both European and US devices (which RCI ships are) why would he need to bring one?  Are UK appliances unique and require yet a different adapter from the European type?  If so that is something I did not know.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Are UK appliances unique and require yet a different adapter from the European type?  

While the appliances are similar and work on electricity, UK outlets and plugs are radically different from EU and US, and a great number of other places.  

Standard residential voltage in the UK is 220.

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe I am missing something.  If the stateroom is equipped with both types of plugs to accommodate both European and US devices (which RCI ships are) why would he need to bring one?  Are UK appliances unique and require yet a different adapter from the European type?  If so that is something I did not know.

EU adapter you are familiar with:

enhance

UK adapter:

enhance

4 major plug/socket styles in the world.

US

UK

Euro

Australian

There are some other minor ones.  In South America you run across one that will accept a Euro plug, but the ground connection is a pin in between the other two.