How long does it usually take to Disembark?

blaineg25

We are wondering if scheduling a flight out of Rome at 1:00 pm is do-able when it says the arrival to the port city of Civitavecchia is at 5:00a.m.?

Does anyone know how long the process takes to get off of the ship?

Arrival is at 5:00, but disembarkation may not begin until about 7:00, and then they will allow passengers to disembark according to some (allegedly) coordinated prioritization. As a general rule the most expensive staterooms (or highest decks) and highest-level frequent guests can disembark before lower decks. If you're capable of carrying all of your bags off in one go you can request self-service disembarkation.

• Thanks 1

I'll work backwards and point out that you'll need to check in two hours ahead so that's 11.  And you have to get to the airport in Rome.  How are you planning your transportation there?  Even in a private car I'm guessing it's at least an hour.  *I* wouldn't do it.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

As a general rule the most expensive staterooms (or highest decks) and highest-level frequent guests can disembark before lower decks.

What cruise line does it like this?

All the cruises we've taken debarkation priorities were based on after cruise travel.  Those passengers with the earliest flight got off first.  After anyone requesting self-debarkation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1pm is fine in Italy. I agree...docking at 5am doesn't guarantee getting off the ship before 7, but the cruise lines have gotten much more efficient at this. You shouldn't have any problem with a 1pm flight. Its the 10:30 flights asked about on the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

that are much more challenging.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

All the cruises we've taken debarkation priorities were based on after cruise travel.  Those passengers with the earliest flight got off first.  After anyone requesting self-debarkation.  

Unless you've booked a transfer, Cunard.

Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VRjVgwKiW_tWYwfPxClHwCrNeXqNXbm2/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Underwatr
  • Thanks 1

First question is: Which Rome airport?  There are two! The main international airport 'Leonardo DaVinci Airport - FCO' and the smaller intra european only airport of Ciampino - CIA.  CIA is more difficult to access. FCO is closer to Civitavecchia.

Is your flight within Europe or back to USA?  It will make a difference to the 'FCO experience'!  We have comfortably made 11.15 am flights from FCO to other european destinations.  We arrange a car with Stefano's Rome Cabs with a 8.00 am meeting time.  This gets us to the airport for around 9 am and it is then a leisurely stroll to the gate using a pre purchased pass for 'Fast Track' security.  (the queue at the 'duty free' shop is a nightmare!).  We can use the egates for passport control.

Going back to USA, I believe that it you need to check in 3 hours before flight time, so with a 1pm flight you need to be there by 10 am.  Still no problem, but I would arrange a pick up for 7.30 or even 7.00 am if an Italian public holiday or a weekday.

Tell guest services on board the ship that you have an early flight and you need early disembarkation.  Be prepared to self disembark and carry your own bags.  Your car service will be parked just outside the terminal building.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Cunard schedules debarkation by deck, and I think I heard something about Celebrity offering some sort of priority - it would match their FTTF marketing concept.

In any event it is not generally based upon who has the earliest flight - rather it is based upon who SAYS he has the earliest flight.

Our experience on numerous cruise lines is even when you get your disembarkation data you can always go down to the front desk and have it changed.    We do carry on only.  So we either want to be first off or last off depending on our plans/schedule for the day.   Never been on a cruise where we were not able to disembark at our desired time even if it meant getting a change in our colour codes.

• Thanks 1

It depends on what cruise line and ship.  On a Windstar ship, everyone could be off in about 10 minutes, but some get off quickly and others linger over a second cup of coffee (breakfast is served until 8:30) and then go on their way.  No need to worry about who is in what cabin on what deck, no giving out colored tickets.  A single announcement when the ship is cleared for passengers to disembark, and an orderly process begins at ones leisure.