What’s the rudest thing you’ve ever had done to you on a cruise?

erdoran

On 8/8/2019 at 7:03 PM, JimCroce said:

On our last cruise we were sitting with a couple who seemed to be genuine until the man pulled a used band aid from his soup, laid it next to the bowl and continued slurping his soup.  We were disgusted and not amused.

Why was the band aid in his soup?

On my last cruise (to Alaska), a man came to the dining room just as it was closing for breakfast. The hostess said she could let him in to see if his family was already in there. I thought that was being nice. But then when he couldn't find them, he left. About 5 minutes later, they arrived. By then, the dining room was closed. He yelled and cussed at the hostess for not letting them in.

On another cruise, the rudeness we witnessed was one of the ship's photographers who was taking photos in the dining room. He asked a woman to take off her "lanyard" before he took the photo. She informed him it was a necklace and not a lanyard.

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

. He asked a woman to take off her "lanyard" before he took the photo. She informed him it was a necklace and not a lanyard.

Oops!   Embarrassing when it happens but something to look back on and laugh about.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 4:03 PM, JimCroce said:

On our last cruise we were sitting with a couple who seemed to be genuine until the man pulled a used band aid from his soup, laid it next to the bowl and continued slurping his soup.  We were disgusted and not amused.

I wouldn't continue with my soup either🤢

Maybe not so rude, but just gross.  On a 10 day Norway cruise, people were feeding seagulls with food from the buffet.  Not only bad for the birds, but bad for those with balconies below.  I complained on the comment cards, but regret not doing it sooner.

17 minutes ago, PammyMouse said:

Maybe not so rude, but just gross.  On a 10 day Norway cruise, people were feeding seagulls with food from the buffet.  Not only bad for the birds, but bad for those with balconies below.  I complained on the comment cards, but regret not doing it sooner.

I was once on a ship where the captain's daily announcement included a statement to "please don't feed the seagulls, because they poop all over my ship!"!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I was once on a ship where the captain's daily announcement included a statement to "please don't feed the seagulls, because they poop all over my ship!"!!!

The ones who know better won't, the ones who do it anyways, don't care.

Two years ago we stayed at a pre-cruise hotel in Miami that was on a small lake/large pond and ducks would walk up to the deck outside the breakfast buffet area. There were doors going out to the deck, with several signs saying - "Please Don't Feed the Ducks." Many did and the worst was a grandmother who brought out a tray for her grand kids. Eventually an employee told everyone to please stop.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:43 PM, GUT2407 said:

The one that amazes me, and at times causes me great pain, is how many people think my wheelchair is handy to lean on or put there foot up on.

OMG! I can't believe people could be so rude. I would tell them to remove what ever body part is on the wheelchair or else I would remove it for them.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, julie3fan said:

Yes, this!  Aggravating!  Then I wonder if *I* would be equally rude by shussing them?  

I have done this many times and it works and no you aren't rude. There are other people who would also like for them to be quiet, but don't have the nerve to do it themselves. I'm sure they're happy someone else did it for them. I'm there for the tour and not to listen to someone else yaking over the tour guide.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have done this many times and it works and no you aren't rude. There are other people who would also like for them to be quiet, but don't have the nerve to do it themselves. I'm sure they're happy someone else did it for them. I'm there for the tour and not to listen to someone else yaking over the tour guide.

^^^ This.  I've been known to do this in movie theaters, too.  

• Like 2

On our last cruise we were standing there waiting for the elevators.  The way it was set up there was about four elevators - two panoramic and two further back.  We were waiting with this elderly woman who appeared to have mobility issues. Each time she tried to hurry to an elevator the stampede would rush by her and she'd end up left behind. This happened a couple of times.  I told my husband to follow my lead and as the next elevator arrived I held the door as it emptied, so as to position myself for what I planned on doing.  As the crush of humanity tried to board the elevator, my big brut of a husband told everyone in a booming voice to "stand back!"  I held my arm out like some school crossing guard and said to the woman, "It's your turn now".  She was so relieved.  People kept trying to push and I just got louder and firmer.  She was so small and easily overlooked; she was just lost in the masses.  My mom used to tell me that as you age you become invisible; she said it's heartbreaking. I've always tried to notice others, especially the elderly.  I think if we look out for each other, just extending a little kindness life would be so much sweeter and easier.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PrincessE said:

My mom used to tell me that as you age you become invisible; she said it's heartbreaking. I've always tried to notice others, especially the elderly.  I think if we look out for each other, just extending a little kindness life would be so much sweeter and easier.

Great post. Not just during travel, but in everyday life I try to share a little kindness. Treat everyone like a gentleperson. Not because they are, but because you are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1